1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new Prime deployed the cops to my mothers house at midnight

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Brad Nunn, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Brad Nunn

Brad Nunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just picked up my new Prime Friday evening and left my phone at home so the dealer did not set up Bluetooth, apps etc. Drove out of state Saturday morning to visit my mother and show off the new car. In setting up the Entune app I came to the part that asked for my "Safety Connect Contract ID". Couldn't find this anywhere, so I called the toll free phone number at about 9:30 PM. (Where are you supposed to get this code?) The person that answered suggested that I call back using the "SOS" button from inside the car to avoid having to provide her with VIN and other info that is apparently automatically transmitted when you use that button. After receiving assurance that this would not result in emergency response, I went out to the car and pressed the button. A voice comes on and gives you an option to back out if you pushed the button by accident. Then another automated voice asks you to say yes or no as to whether you need emergency personnel deployed. After saying no, a male human voice came on and after I told him what I wanted he provided me an overview of the features of Safety Connect, asked for my email and phone numbers and provided me with the code. The conversation ended and I left the car and went back in the house by 10:00 or so. I received a confirmation email, entered the code into my app and saw the new features were activated. Went to bed by 11 or so. Around 11:45 I was awakened by my cell phone vibrating. The number was unfamiliar and caller id said something about Siriusxm. I thought it was kinda late for a SPAM call. I didn't answer. They called back immediately. I ignored it and went back to sleep. About 15 min later my stepfather knocked on my bedroom door and said the police were at the front door asking for me. They said my car had sent them. After they left I went out to the car sitting in the driveway apparently undisturbed. When I sat in the drivers seat a female voice came over the speaker and I asked if I was OK. I asked why the police had been called. She said she called them when I didn't respond. I explained that I was inside the house asleep. I told her I had spoken to someone 2 hours earlier to get the code. She asked if I knew his name (I did not) and said she saw no record from my earlier call. I asked if I needed to do anything on my end to discontinue the call. She said she would take care of that but when I asked about a small green light near the button flashing she said I could hold the SOS button in for 6 seconds to turn it off. I did this and the light went off. Still don't know what happened or if I did anything wrong to cause this. Anybody else experienced anything like this?

mr88cet, 'LectroFuel and coolslug like this.
  2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow, just wow. So were the relatives impressed with the car? Just imagine if you had gone to jail, mug shot, and all because your car called the cops. What a great sit com this would make.

3. Brad Nunn

Brad Nunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They were very impressed by the car but were not as fond of the police visit.

'LectroFuel and huskers like this.
  4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have my contract ID over the cell phone...i have no idea why they tell you that...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible that the male was new and thus either forgot to hang up and/or forgot to log the call? Then the female started her shift, saw that your car was connected and therefore tried to communicate with you and sent for help when there was no response?

6. bradnunn

bradnunn Junior Member

Your theory is consistent with my own.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I also used the SOS button to activate Safety Connect and get the contract #. That is usually the easiest way since, as was mentioned, the vehicle ID info is automatically sent in, and all the operator has to do is get personal info like e-mail and phone numbers. It took several statements from me that this was NOT an emergency call, and instead was for registration of a new car. I think that one was to an automated system, and one was to the live operator. The call ended without incident. I agree with the conjecture above: the call was not properly flagged as a non-emergency call, and then the no-response-from-caller protocol was initiated.

At least you know that the system really works. :)

tanner9868 likes this.
  8. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting story. Also interesting is how are there two different Brad Nunns posting in this thread? :confused:

jrodz09, iskey and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  9. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the warning!

iPhone ? Pro

10. bradnunn

bradnunn Junior Member

Same person. Two different devices.

11. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    very observant @DavidA:cool:

12. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    FYI, you can log into your same ID on multiple devices.

lbligh, jrodz09 and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    So I presume in Canada, where we are still hewing wood and digging coal, the "Safety Connect" won't work?

14. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wow it's kinda cool though that your car can make calls without a phone attached. Then it's also concerning how uselessly slow the cops responded. Hahaha good thing it wasn't a real emergency :)

15. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No wonder the car called the cops. Wonder how Brad looks in orange?

16. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Advanced has a built-in cell phone for SafetyConnect and the Advanced Entune applications. It is for low data rate and voice communication, not the media-related apps like Pandora, which use your smart-phone's Internet connection.

17. bradnunn

bradnunn Junior Member

I thought I was.

18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You seem to have set up two accounts. One says "Brad Nunn" and one says "bradnunn."

By the way, that snorting sound you might have heard coming from the garage as you closed the door was probably your new car trying very hard to not blow motor oil out of it's throttle body and bust out laughing. :D

19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All I know is that I am going to start treating my car a whole lot better.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But... why couldn't you use the same ID for both instead of creating a new username?

Not yet. The 2018 Camry will be the first car with Entune 3.0 and Entune 3.0 is coming to Canada. I *think* Safety Connect is coming as well.