1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new Prius: My observations (long post ahead!)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JRMurray, Apr 9, 2008.

1. JRMurray

JRMurray Magnetic Gray is the only way!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After driving my new Prius home just last night and driving it to work this morning, I've only had a short time in the car, but even at this early stage, I have some observations in light of issues that have been discussed on PriusChat and in comparison to my former car, a 2004 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor.

Observations (in no particular order)
    • The seating position is fine for me, and the lack of a telescoping steering wheel hasn't bothered me at all. With only a few adjustments, I was able to find a position with which I'm comfortable. The seats themselves are fine, too, but my height and weight are probably factors here: I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs. I don't miss the electronically adjustable seats that I had in the C230.
    • The lack of a leather interior, one of my biggest concerns, turns out for me to be a non-issue. I've already found that the fabric interior seems to be warmer first thing on a cold morning and grippier--I don't have the feeling that I'm sliding around my seat as I did in the C230.
    • Visibility is fine all around the car. The A-pillars (I think that's what they're called) are a little wider than those in the C230, but so far, I haven't felt that they interfere with vision out the front quarters of the Prius. The view out the rear window requires a little adjusting to, but even so, I think that I've adapted pretty well in the short time I've been driving the car. I do find, in fact, that because of the Prius' low belt line (in comparison with the C230), I can see far more out the back window when I'm backing up--a definite plus over the C230. By the way, I can see that the backup camera is useful only to gauge how close one is to something like a garage wall or another car.
    • I haven't had any problems with reflections on the windshield, as some PriusChatters have mentioned. However, one of the first things I did in the car was to turn down the instrument cluster brightness, so this may be the reason I haven't noticed any reflections.
    • The lighting of the steering wheel buttons is certainly not intense, but it is actually not all that different from what I had on the C230. It's certainly not a problem for me at all. As others have said, each button has a distinct feel, so in the short time I've been driving the car, I don't even need to look at them anyway.
    • My Prius is almost as quiet inside as the C230, with the Prius having probably loads less insulation. I was most pleasantly surprised!
    • The Prius rides almost as nicely as the C230, again a pleasant surprise. I've noticed a few more bumps over washboard surfaces, but overall, the ride is far better than anything I would have imagined. I haven't increased the tire pressure yet, though, so my viewpoint might change at a later point if I decide to make the change.
    • One of the biggest differences between the Prius and any other non-hybrid is the lack of vibration at idle. My wife noticed that immediately. Now, I wouldn't say that the C230 vibrated a great deal, but the lack of ANY vibration is notable.
    • CVT is really, really different from a car with a definite number of gears like the C230. There's no change in engine "note" or feelings of acceleration to a peak then deceleration while the gear changes, then acceleration to a peak, etc. In the Prius, the acceleration just seems to be linear.
    • The steering feels ... almost numb compared to that in the C230. Since I'm actually kind of a relaxed driver, I don't anticipate slaloming around town, so the difference doesn't bother me.
    • I've noticed that in comparison to the C230, at the same speeds, the Prius feels slower. In other words, 80 km/h (50 mph) in the Prius oddly feels slower than the same speed in the C230. My wife felt the same, too. Maybe it's just a case of getting used to a different car...
    • The Prius has much, much more interior room than the C230, and the cockpit is much airier. There is a LOT more storage space, too. Love the hatchback!
    • I didn't have any problems at all setting up the Homelink button for my garage door. The procedure was almost the same as that for the C230.
    • The JBL premium stereo is not quite as good as what I had in the C230, but overall, it's actually not as bad as I had imagined. While I'm not overjoyed, I'm not disappointed, either. I won't be making any aftermarket changes to it.
    • I haven't had time to set up a Bluetooth connection between the Prius and my cellphone--a Treo 680. I may try that tonight.
    • Magnetic Gray Metallic looks even better in real life! :)
    Well, I've rambled on enough. I'll probably have more to say at a later time once I've had a few more hours in the car.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have seen others complain that the lighting is too dim on the steering wheel, but I don't share this view. I have a Ford Explorer with lighted cruise control buttons on the steering wheel and I think they are too bright and distracting. And, as you pointed out, you can identify them by feel anyway.

Congratulations on your new car! :first:

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice post. I share your feelings, although I can't speak to your previous car.

Tom

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the C230 Kompressor the "coupe" version with the similar rear split windows or the sedan? (Can't remember when they started offering the C230 Kompressor sedan).

The reflections can only been seen on an unlit road. In normal city driving, it's never there. Go out to a country road at night and you'll see what I mean.

As for the CVT, yeah wait til you take it on Hwy 99 south to Peace Arch (don't know if you guys use the Huntington since it's closer) but on an uphill stretch near White Rock, the Prius just glides up it smoothly because there's no need to downshift. On the previous Camry and Corolla, the cruise would always let the car slow down a bit then shift hard down to 3rd and rev up the hill.

5. JRMurray

JRMurray Magnetic Gray is the only way!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It was the sedan. The coupe was offered in 2004, but I wasn't interested; I didn't like the look--and still don't. :)

I know exactly where you mean: the stretch from the exit to White Rock uphill to 32nd or so. I do take the Peace Arch sometimes, as I live quite close to King George Highway and Highway 10, in an area called Panorama Village. For the most part, though, when I go to the States, I use the truck crossing. Anyway, I haven't really used cruise control because I haven't yet had much of a chance to do any highway driving, but I'll be going out along the 91 tomorrow--although it's really kinda flat in comparison to the 99 in the area you've mentioned.

Interesting about the reflections. do not know if I'll ever see it, as I spend all my time in the city and suburbs.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can, do 80km/h and you'll be rewarded. I did the 91 today and was following a convoy of people doing 78km/h lol.

My net result was a lowering of mileage from 4.6L/100km to 4.4L/100km (it's about 150km into this tank).

Around 80km/h, you do about 4.3L/100km give or take.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Your car is listed by your log in name as a Model: B. Is that B as in Base model? Or a miss print. How come you have JBL & Bluetooth on a Base? Is that a Canada oh Canada thing? I'm quite jealous.

8. Linden

Linden New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Canada only has 3 models .. base, base + everything ($3030 over base price), base + everything + nav ($5780 over base price)

There is actually no B Model now, its called the 'special edition premium' - which includes JBL, Bluetooth, VSC, Backup Camera...

I find too that when I'm going like 100KM/h that it seems like I'm going slower .. its weird (I had a Mazda 3 before) I love the smooth acceleration in the Prius. I don't miss my 3 at all!

9. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds to me you are quite happy with the car. I also don't intend to add any mods that may affect mpg. Enjoy thousands of miles with your Prius.

Drive safe.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well internally, it's still called "B". Mine was called the Premium Package too. Don't know why they changed it back to "B" for 2006 and then back to Premium Package for 2008. Same thing though.