1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new Prius Prime electrical system would not turn on at start up

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Keith S., Apr 13, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Keith S.

Keith S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Has anyone had a problem when they try to start up their Prius pushing the Start button and brake pedal but nothing happening or in my case a very dim and flickering image of my car on the display is all that happened and the car nor accessories would turn on. My traction battery was at 100% from charging the night before. I tried using my phone Toyota app but it would not connect with the car.

I contacted Toyota road side assistance and they sent someone out right away, He confirmed that my traction battery was fully charged at 100% but after some trouble shooting, he said the new 12 volt battery was partially discharged and that may have been the reason I was getting a weak flickering image on the display when I tried to start the car. He charged it up and my display and other functions returned to normal. I checked to see if I had left the lights or accessories on but everything looked like they were off and so did not discharge the 12 volt.

I tried to figure out why the 12 volt had discharged. Background: I have put just a little under 1000 miles on the car with most of it from EV driving, only ~100 miles coming in ice mode. At first I thought since I did not use ice much that maybe the 12 volt just weaken and just needed charging to bring it back up to within normal range but then I thought I heard that the Prime does not have an alternator and that the 12 volt was replenished from the traction battery. The only other thing that came to mind was that it was a defective 12 volt. I am going to take it in to the dealer but I thought I would run it by other Prime owners

Thanks for any comments you may share!

Gokhan likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s lots of threads here on 5th gen Prius with the plug-in having discharged 12 volt batteries, . One possibility is due to leaving the high voltage cable plugged in for a protracted period after charging; the car seems to keep monitoring stuff, running the 12 volt battery down in the process.

GcinFl likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Does Prius do over the air updates yet? Haven't been able to find anything to that effect.

Gokhan likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, but why would that matter?

Gokhan likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Brian1954 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's like telling people to read the owner's manual... It just ain't gonna happen.

hill, Brian1954 and Blackat like this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    He means that perhaps you could solve the battery-drain problem with a software update, like the battery-drain problem for iPhones.

This is actually a good idea. While probably there is little a software update can do to reduce the drain, it could have pop-up warnings to the owner, such as "lights draining the battery," "AC cable plugged in for too long," "battery level getting too low—keep the car in the READY mode at least for an hour," "check for third-party accessories draining the battery," etc. Such warnings could reduce the number of instances of 12-V-battery drain tremendously.

8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The car needs to be driven regularly for long distances. The 12-V battery only charges when the car is in the READY mode. You could charge it through the lithium-ion battery (if it has charge) by switching the car to the READY mode in the EV mode, even without driving the car. You could also do that in the HV mode, but that's not recommended as it would fill the garage with exhaust fumes.

Also, do not leave the AC charger plugged in for longer than overnight. That drains the 12-V battery.

Not leaving the lights on unless the car is in the READY mode is also important.

9. Keith S.

Keith S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Gokhan,
    Thanks for the useful information. Appreciate it!

Gokhan likes this.
  10. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    You probably have a bad 12V battery. That would be confirmed if after doing all the suggestions, it happens again. Just so you're prepared, your dealer will probably say the battery checks out fine. They may even try to convince you that it's all on you, either something you're doing or something you're not. Testing the voltage output right after bringing it to full charge is not an adequate test. Another member had a frustrating experience when the dealer told them several times the battery was good. The problem was the battery would not hold a charge after sitting for while like a couple days or even overnight.

Hopefully, it doesn't happen again. But if it does, I would insist on a new replacement battery.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve read that a car fully “on” but just sitting idling may still tax the 12 volt battery more than charging. Pretty sure this was for non-hybrid vehicles, though.
    If disconnection of hybrid battery charge cable is not practical, having a smart charger hooked up to the 12 volt might prevent it draining.
    No kidding.

12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand this is a problem for older Prius and needs to be addressed this way... But in 2024 they still can't send enough charge to the 12v? Total nonsense!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am not sure what you mean by fully on, as that is not a technical term for Gen 4/Gen 5 Prius/Prius Prime. I believe there are four modes: off, acc, on, and ready. In the READY mode, the 12-V battery is always charged to near 100% SOC, as the DC converter is on, regardless of the drive mode (HV/EV) or if the vehicle is parked or driven or if the ICE is running or not.

Mendel Leisk and GcinFl like this.