1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My New Prius V and the NYS Clean Pass

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by adam2670, Apr 26, 2012.

1. adam2670

adam2670 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Apparently are not friends. This is pretty lame for me since I spend my days commuting on the LIE 42 miles each way. Anyone know if this is gonna happen? I guess the V falls short of the requirements by like 1mph :mad:

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think it is the MPG, I believe it is because the Prius, the c as well as the v, fall under the old standards for clean air. I know in california, only the Prius Plugin now qualifies for the clean pass because it can run off the battery at a higher mph, thus using not as much gas and doing as much emission. The standard Prius, c and the v will use gas more because their electric motor is governed at 43 mph compared to the 62 mph, so you are not going to be 'cleaner' compared to the Plugin or a Volt, for instance.

3. adam2670

adam2670 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    According to the DMV here, all the Prius models EXCEPT the V are still eligible, go figure...

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe it missed the 45 MPG highway requirement.

5. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    From New York Dept. of Transportation website here; https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass?nd=nysdot

The second sentence under the picture of the sticker reads; "Motorists whose estimated US EPA fuel economy rating averages at least 45 miles per gallon and meets the California Air Resources Board SULEV emissions standard will be allowed to participate by applying to the State Department of Motor Vehicles. "

So the Prius v (wagon) with EPA combined 42 estimate MPG misses the mark by 3 MPG, or % 6.7 (3/45 = 0.0666667). I wonder if we can petition to include the Prius v. Maybe we could bring up a margin of error or something. Or maybe you could have the opportunity to prove that you can get 45 MPG over a significant time period.

6. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I guess the Calif standards is higher than NY... California pretty much ixnayed all but the Prius Plugin with regards to a 'clean pass' Green/White.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Our HOV lanes are not crowded yet.