1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new Texas Prius - great mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rdenneyutmb, Mar 3, 2006.

1. rdenneyutmb

rdenneyutmb New Member

Picked up my new Prius on Feb. 24th. It had 3 miles on the odometer, a full tank, and low mpg (don't remember exactly). After running around doing errands over the weekend, I started experimenting with P&G techniques described by so many here on this fine forum. My commute is about 24 mi, 18 on a freeway. However, almost no one is on the feeder between home and my work in Galveston. Terrain is flat. Temp is 50-70. I can pulse and glide all I want without hindering anyone, and there are few stops. I just filled up with 8.01 gallons after 476 mi with a tank average of 59.0 on the MFD (59.4 by m/gal). What pleased me most is that for five, consecutive trips of between 23.9 and 34 mi, I got 68.2-79.6 mpg, see below. All trips were from a cold start and included 1 mi residential driving to freeway feeder, 15 mi of feeder, 4 mi of freeway (about 55 mph), and the rest on a 45 mph, 4 lane road with few stops. Except for the short freeway section, I was able to pulse and glide (speed range, 30-41 mph). I am very pleased.

Distance
    mpg (MFD)

33.6 75.8
    32.4 68.2
    23.9 73.7
    26.5 73.9
    34 79.5

Only problem is, I am a bit afraid to tell my wife or any of my friends how I am driving. They will think I am obsessed. (They've got that right.)

Though I find gliding with no arrows easy, I have never yet succeeded in "dead-banding." No matter what acceleration rate I use, my '06 always charges the battery when it runs. (In general, I pulse for about 1/3rd of the time, and glide 2/3rds.

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations!!! I find myself constantly wanting to tell people my mpgs but hold myself back from doing so, because they don't understand the joy of owning and driving a Prius and will think I'm crazy! :)

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think people got tired of me telling them about my mileage also...so I put it on my lic. plate (MPG 55) :p

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Nice plate hehe

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Very nice results !!

I can think of two situations where deadbanding is difficult to do:
    Cold Engine, or very cold day
    Low HV battery SOC -- 3 bars or less

A couple other things, for a bit better FE:
    Accelerate at about 1/3rd gas pedal. Unless the HV SOC is low, strive to not send energy to the battery.
    Set your tyres to maximal rated sidewall.

Keep up the good work :)

6. rdenneyutmb

rdenneyutmb New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the tires at 42/40.
    On my 30 mile drives, the temperature has been in the 55-70 degree range.
    I have experimented with acceleration. I try to accelerate as briskly as I can without engaging the electric motors (yellow arrows), i.e., using exclusively the ICE. I think this rate of acceleration (about 12 sec from 30 to 41 mph) probably less than 1/3 max.

Are any of you out there with an '06 Prius finding it difficult to get the dead-band state (arrows from ICE to wheels but not to battery)? I still can't seem to do it.

7. robinsod

robinsod New Member

Another Texas '06 Prius drivers says, "I haven't often tried to dead-band, but I when I have, it doesn't last long. Here in the Hill Country, there are a lot of long, shallow hill so, it's probably easier to do. I also have an '04 and haven't seen much difference in this or in mpg."

Great cars aren't they?

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

OP, now that I read your latest post, I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.

If ICE is running, the target is no arrows to or from the battery. It is usual to see a split of ICE energy to the wheels and motor.

ICE off: shoot for no arrows at all, or arrows from the battery -> motor -> wheels.

In good weather I can hit FE in the 70's mpg consistently too, but find 80 mpg to be a practical ceiling -- so I guess I don't have much useful advice for you !

9. rdenneyutmb

rdenneyutmb New Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I think I do understand that we are shooting for no arrows from ICE to or from battery during slow acceleration phase of P&G (to minimize transduction losses converting chemical energy to electrical and back to mechanical energy). That's the state that I haven't seen yet. Whenever my ICE is on, I get arrows to motor/generator AND battery (in addition to arrows to the wheels).

I do wonder a bit how the marathon experts managed consistently to get over 100 mpg with pulse and glide. I have noticed that the dealer overfilled the oil (about 2 cm over the full level). And I have the standard OEM tires (at 42/40 psi). And I understand that mileage may increase after a few thousand miles.

Hey, I am really very pleased, but one can't help but try for the best. Great car. I am having a lot of fun.

Thanks, everyone.

10. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ha ... When I picked up mine, the weather was warm, the mpg was great, and I e-mailed my relatives often. Then the weather turned cold, and my relatives did not hear from me for awhile. :)

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember right.. I can do it the easiest when the battery charge is high...
    when it gets too low, the engine is just aching to charge it if you let it.

Just deadband when you can and when it won't it won't.

Plus if you have been coasting quite a while the ICE gets cold and that too makes the ICe want to run again... so thats two things that work against you when you have been running in EV or coasting for a while.

12. rdenneyutmb

rdenneyutmb New Member

Ah, I can see that that might be the case. Where I live, it virtually never gets cold. However, from April 'till November, running without AC will be virtually unbearable. So now I can gloat. But later... Ah well. I guess I better do all the bragging while I can!

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

OK

Press on the gas pedal a bit more, until arrows are flowing *from* the battery with ICE on. Keep that state for a second or two, and then lightly let off a bit on the pedal. If the HV SOC is not low, the car will enter deadband.

Expect 100 mpg if you can stay below 42 mph and signals or stops signs are not leading to kinetic energy waste. I give you a week ;) :)

14. rdenneyutmb

rdenneyutmb New Member

Ah, thanks! That gives me an idea of how to "find" it. I certainly can easily get into the state where power is flowing both from the ICE and the battery (yellow arrows on my car).

When you say "low SOC," how many "tics" is low? Also, one thing that occurred to me (and I need to try): I have the AC off, but I have had the blower on. Would the extra drain on the battery from the blower motor block the dead-band state? (I know, I just need to experiment.)

Thanks for the tips and encouragement

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

rdenney,

Three bars or less is low.
    Regarding AC: My experience is that blower only is not a problem, and auto AC isn't a problem either, once the car has reached steady state. Keep in mind though, that I live in a low humidity climate which is much easier on auto AC than what you have.

16. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I can usually find it right after Stealth mode...in other words, if i am going say 40mph and I just slightly press the gas, with a well charged battery, I usually go into stealth...if I just push the pedal a little more, I deadband and the mpg shoots up to between 70-99 depending on terrain. Of course, if I am going uphill at all, this usually does not work. Feels great to be going that fast, and still getting that kind of mpg.

1st tank - 454 miles - 48.1mpg computer (50.2 actual)
    2nd tank - 275 miles so far - 54.1mpg

Looks like I am learning already!

17. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My hat's off to you for those numbers but I have to ask ... what's your time worth?

It sounds like you're going between 41 and 30 most of the commute. How much travel time does this add each way?

I'll bet you'd get 50 MPG if you shut off the display and just drove.

18. rdenneyutmb

rdenneyutmb New Member

You are absolutely right. I was choosing to go at the optimum speed to see what mileage I could get. Whether I will do this all the time is doubtful. But I have the choice. I am lucky enough not to have to hurry most of the time. (I realize this is unusual these days.)