1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new used Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Joe1987, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Joe1987

Joe1987 Cheyenne Joe

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently purchased a 2006 Prius with a little under 37,000 miles. The car looks and runs like a 2009 and I'm very pleased with it. I do have one concern, and that's with all the electronics on the car. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing an extended warranty but I don't know if it's necessary.

Has anyone ever had ANY problems with their Prius, electronics (or otherwise)? I'd like to know the likelihood of problems I may face at a later time.

Thanks from the Newbie,
    Joe1987

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, there are a very few people that have had problems with the electronics. Same as any car, or electronic device. That being said, the Prius is overall one of the most reliable vehicles out there. The general consensus is that the extended warranty is not worth it, unless you have some reason to be suspicious about the background of your particular vehicle. If you don't trust the dealer or previous owner, it will give you piece of mind.

Statistically, however, you will be better off saving your money (if the warranties actually paid out more than they collect, they would not be in business.

1 person likes this.
  3. rch10007

rch10007 Dotted Quad Ranger

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Congrats Joel. I'm happy you got what you wanted.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the car has never been in an accident then I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty. If you don't know, or if it has, then I suggest getting one (this is the only time I would buy one).

5. Joe1987

Joe1987 Cheyenne Joe

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reply. The CarFax states that the car has never been in an accident. I am definitely leaning towards not buying an extended warranty, but I must confess that all the electronics has me a bit concerned. I can't imagine how much a dealer would charge to make things right it ever goes black.

Joe1987

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Joe, problems with the electronics with the Prius are very rare. However, the 2006 has had a lot of problems with the HID headlights, both bulbs and controllers. The extended warranty does not cover lights. But Toyota has been pretty generous in covering the high costs of HID component replacements due to the high rate of failures, but you need to call Toyota corporate as the dealer won't do anything without Toyota telling him to make the repairs.

1 person likes this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I think 36k miles is the end time to buy a Toyota extended warranty. Other brand EWs are probably not a wise investment.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Joe, as stated, you can't buy an extended warranty from Toyota. I've got 36,200 on mine and the only electrical problem was a blown fuse on the dash's aux power port from an air compressor.