1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Next Gen Prius Wish List

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by habel, Jun 29, 2006.

1. habel

habel New Member

However pleased I am with my 2006 Prius at this point; here are the things that I would like to see in the Prius 3:

Distinctive design, still setting it apart from other Toyotas and other vehicles.
    2 versions: Hatchbach AND Station Wagon
    Optional 4WD for both versions
    Better handling!!!
    Less influental to side wind
    Less cabin noise
    Wider, perhaps even longer body - but not higher
    ICE with more torque and power - but same or lower fuel consumption
    Better acceleration, todays figure cut by at least 25%
    Larger trunk
    Towing possible
    Larger battery capacity / new battery technology
    Plug In possible

...this list is by no means final, but represents what I would like to see in the new car.
    Feel free to add or discuss this list.

2. molgrips

molgrips Member

So, to recap - you want the moon on a stick?!

A load more power, more fuel economy, and a bigger car. Right.

My wish list is better fuel economy, better fuel economy, and better fuel economy, I think. And a steering wheel that moves in and out.

Could achieve the power and FE aims though by having a diesel version... Yaris diesel has 90bhp and does 60mpg (UK) and it's not even a hybrid.

By the way, towing would still be fundamentally impossible. When demanding high torque all the time, the battery would run out, and you'd be running solely on ICE. If you have a big enough ICE to provide high torque all the time, you'd not get any hybrid FE benefits...

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UK imperial gallons?

4. molgrips

molgrips Member

Yes, UK gallons eg 4.5 litres. US gallon = 3.7 litres. I exchanged my Seat Ibiza diesel for a Prius, it was getting pretty much the same FE but for slightly more emissions. Much smaller car, but sportier. Everyone in the UK is wondering about diesel hybrids, and apparently Peugot Citroen are making one...

5. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 7 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]282674[/snapback]</div>
    So to recap, isn't that exactly what was done between the Gen I and Gen II Prius?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jul 7 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]282734[/snapback]</div>
    My thoughts exactly!

Though, I don't really care if there's a lot more power. Might quiet a few nay-sayers if it did 0-60 in 8 or 9 seconds, so I won't be sad if it can do that.

I don't really want it bigger...the Camry serves that roll as far as I'm concerned.

Improvements in Handling, cross-wind handling, and creature-comforts on the interior would be very much appreciated. I really would like the driver's seat to go back 2" more and be electric 6+ way adjustable...if you wanna make it Prius-like make it recognize each driver by his/her SKS fob and automatically adjust when you unlock the door with the SKS.

I want another 20-25% increase in FE and a 50% (minimum) increase in Electric only capacity with a 25% decrease in battery size/weight and a 25% increase in max. all-electric speed.

I want NAV tied terrain learning and terrain-mapping. I want radar controlled Cruise-control that builds in anticipatory driving up to ~1/4 mile. As cars slow the Prius begins gentle regen braking depending upon the closing speed to the next vehicle.

I want it to be a flex fuel vehicle and maybe even have a bio-diesel version available.

I want body weight reduced by 10%.

I want a plug-in hybrid option.

I want exhaust heat tied into ICE and battery warming for winter driving.

I want a true 1000 mile on a tank capacity.

The moon on a stick would be just fine with me. ;)

7. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, a larger fuel tank would be nice.

Factory side molding

Factory privacy glass

Factory mudflaps

Electric seats with memory

Memory for the electric mirrors

Factory engine block heater

MFD video input

Front view camera (and/or factory parking marker)

How about a force field that repels rocks and a blast gun to disable gas guzzlers and slowpokes!

8. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

Leg room...Leg room...Leg room...

Seats...Seats...Seats...

Buy...Buy...Buy...

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    - Gas tank without the bladder (must be another way to get PZEV rating)

- even more extensive use of lightweight material. See if they can knock 20kg off.. maybe even 50kg. (cause you know more equipment is gonna add the weight back anyway)

- telescoping steering wheel

- multi-adjustment FRONT seats (not just the driver). Why did you cheap out on that bit?

- keep the length and space. I think it's one of the best combination of exterior dimensions and interior dimensions. Perhaps larger wheels might help increase the ground clearance a tad.

- Mount the spare tyre underneath, outside the car but in a covered compartment. IOW, where it is today but instead of accessing by removing a ton of equipment, just have the access point underneath the car. Might be more expensive if gas struts were used so that the wheel doesn't just fall out when you open the hatch door underneath.

- thicker fabric/more padding on the door panels and centre console box cover. If they can design the ES with plastic doors (the new one doesn't have any leather on the door panel) and only leather on the armrest, they can do the same (with fabric or leather) on the Prius.

- power rear sunshade for the hatch window.

- better foglights

- LED DRLs

10. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 7 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]282754[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: I want a rear firing missle to blast those tailgating SUVs and Trucks. :lol:

11. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dear Santa, just let me be able to use my Navi and Bluetooth features while driving!

I'll also take the new battery technology, less road noise, larger fuel tank (no bladder, thank you) and memory power seats and mirrors.

12. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Well id like something oh say.
    Twice the size of a H2,
    With three to five times the power.
    At least doubled the towing capacity.
    And like 150mpg.
    And it needs to cost under $5,000.
    Also I would like the option of big huge jumbo tires that actually increase fuel economy.

God save the queen!

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to say that I'm NOT with the anti-bladder crowd. While I understand, completely, that it's a bit frustrating having variable capacity and non-linear fuel guage, to me it's worth the trade off for lower emissions.

If a solution to the fuel guage issue can be found while preserving the bladder and making fueling more consistant THAT would be the better solution. Of course, if a new fuel tank design could be created that both eliminated the bladder and prevented evaporative emissions AND allowed the 'guess guage' to be linear and reliable that would be the most ideal solution.

I guess I'm saying that I'm not willing to go backwards on the emissions issue just for a mild degree of increased convenience. It's just not that big of an issue.

14. Ron Dupuy

Ron Dupuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Lion plug-in and an upgraded interior. Everything else is great!

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't want the essential design to change; I like the hatchback just the way it is.

If they don't improve the stiffening, make sure I can still install Brian's BT plate.

No more chrome. In fact a lot less chrome. No chrome at all if possible. (I know they have to have the Toyota and HSD badges on it.)

Dark blue color option for exterior. Keep the gray interior.

Allow the option of a leather steering wheel without getting the full leather interior.

Improve the cruise control. I'm tired of losing the settings if I turn it off for too long or go too slow. It simply sucks and is NOT up to the quality of the rest of the car.

Work on the interior seats comfort and efficiency. I was never a fan of those pump up air bladders inside the seats. And I'm OK with the seats. But plenty of people want electronically adjustible seats with a memory for different drivers, in seat heaters and other adjustments. If that will convince more people to buy a hybrid, then do it. The Prius is mostly a luxury car to me by comparison with cars that cost the same or less. Might as well go all of the way so we can truly call it a luxury car.

And put the speed/shift, etc lights on the dash back the way they were in the 2004-2005. I've heard the placement was reversed in the 2006. Bad idea.

Continue to improve the looks/quality of the dash and glove boxes.

Do something about the cloth of the armrests and center console. It's cheap and awful to keep clean.

Make the back-up beep so it can be clearly heard from the outside.

A slightly larger rear blade that cleans more of the back window would be nice too.

I'd like the signal mirrors the Japanese cars already have.

And I'd like mudguards available in the U.S. without having to buy them from Canada. Likewise the hood deflector. I'd like the U.S. to have access to the accessories and options available for Japan, Canada and Europe.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you on the steering wheel option.

You're not gonna get the cruise control changed since that's common with ALL Toyotas.

17. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought into a Pruis (from an Audi TT Roadster) to support this technology (I'm voting with my money) so that eventually the manufacturers will create something that is similar to the Prius but with the following changes:

- Offer a 2-seat convertible version. I'm willing to pay a premium for that.
    - Offer plug-in as an option.
    - Offer a larger battery capacity as an option.

All of the above could be done one the existing Prius frame and wheelbase. Maybe someone out there will find a way to replace the body with a fiberglass 2-seat convertible body that uses the rear-seat space to store more batteries and plug-in gizmos.

Just my 2 cents . . .

18. miwaku

miwaku New Member

Daytime Running Lights so I can turn off my headlights (that are currently on all the time).

Mirror-mounted turn signals.

Doors that lock when you put the car in gear and unlock when you put it in Park - like most of the rest of the new cars.

19. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Must haves:
    plug-in'able
    true EV range of 20+ mile
    charge in <6 hours (preferably 2-3) *I want to charge at work*
    These three would make it a true EV comute car for me

For vanity
    station wagon option wouldn't be bad (I need room for dogs and kids).
    electric seats with memory

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jul 20 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]289308[/snapback]</div>
    Unless everyone starts sounding off about how much they'd be willing to pay for that option, it is extraordinarily difficult to actually deliver something. The aftermarket groups are currently struggling with this vital, yet missing, information.

So if you want to send Toyota a clear message, you better include a price.