1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My only issue 2022 Prius Prime , hesitating to order

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by miatadan, Jan 9, 2022.

1. miatadan

miatadan New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the fall, I did test drive 2021 Prius Prime, standard package .

Do not like the graphics quality of 11" screen, which is reason for I would order standard package.

Why is the 0-60 sec mph times so poor?

Car & Driver states 0 to 60 mph 10.3 sec
    Zero60times site. 0 to 60 mph 10.9 sec
    Hybrid Autopart. 0 to 60 mph. 9.8 sec

So guessing merging and passing can not be done safely?

In the past, since my drivers licence ( 1980's ) almost all my cars have been rwd Mustang GT's with 0-60 mph always under 6 sec.

Dan

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's debatable.

Such a common refrain, people opting for the base level, because it "sucks less". Toyota doesn't seem to hear or care though.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you listen to the rhetoric, people insisting faster is a necessity despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

For those of us who have been driving a Prius Prime or Prius PHV, we know that is a load of rubbish. Fast is nice... a want... but not required. Toyota's favored configuration allows delivery of a more efficient system overall. You'll see that with the excellent kWh/mile results.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you on the very poor implementation of the 11.6" screen on the upper trims of PP but must disagree about the safety issue of PP due to slow 0-60. If you have to have a car that gets 0-60 under 6sec to safely marge and pass, then I guess PP is not for you. While it takes some patience, I have never felt unsafe driving my PP while merging and passing on interstate even on busy roads around a big city like Boston.

#4 Salamander_King, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  5. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have been driving mine for four years and am used to how quickly I can merge or enter a freeway and don't consider it a problem. I traded a 2012 Miata for it. Its positive aspects, such as adding gas about once every three months and its many safety aspects such as the rear cross traffic alert more than make up for speed in merging. I suggest you look at the extra features of a model above the base before you decide.
    Ray

Ovation, jerrymildred and pghyndman like this.
  6. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Back in 2004, I rented a Mustang 5.0 for a weekend. I compared it against my 2002 prius which had a 0-60 of around 13 or 14 seconds. I was sadly disappointed by the Mustang. The Mustang FELT faster than the Prius because the transmission was set to jerk every time it shifted. But in the crucial rolling start that you experience getting on the freeway, the Mustang was slower getting up to the speed of traffic. The difference was that the Mustang had to downshift before it could start accelerating and then upshift several times. The Prius does not have to shift in order to move faster. It's always ready to accelerate.

I'd suggest that you read the thread Some observations of the Prime at high speed | PriusChat wherein it says...

The second mode I drove the Prime in was the "I'm tired of getting passed" mode where I drove at speeds between 80 to 95 MPH. The vehicle handled these high speeds VERY well. I expect that the fact that the vehicle is extremely low and has a great coefficient of drag plays a large part. The only issue was a bit of buffeting as you passed 18 wheelers but nothing alarming. Passing other vehicles at high speeds was easily done and acceleration was more than adequate from 70 to 95 MPH. Cruising speed was usually about 85 MPH.

Ovation and jerrymildred like this.
  7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Sounds like you've already talked yourself out of this car.
    Most dealerships place the car in performance mode for test drives, not eco mode where your going to get the advertised mileage. They don't charge-up the battery pack either - It's a totally different car in EV mode. This current iteration of the Prius is actually faster and more economical than it's predecessor. Check with the automotive insurance institute statistics; more mustangs are involved in traffic accidents than Prius. If Prius's are unsafe to drive, you'd expect a high accident count, even though Prius's out number mustangs on the road.
    Merging and passing is something you get used to, once you get a feel for the acceleration capabilities of the car - but the same applies to any car your driving. Your not going to drive a MAC truck the same way you drive a mustang; so I don't understand the comparison.

Hope this helps in your decision making process......

douglasjre likes this.
  8. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Our 2022 PP is no different in its ability to accelerate to merge than most vehicles. It will not win any drag races but I have never felt at risk because of its performance.

iPhone ?

Ovation and jerrymildred like this.
  9. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well yeah, but you can always do things to bump up the speed::rolleyes:

[​IMG]

In a more serious note: We have a Mercedes SL roadster and a Mercedes coupe but most of our driving is done in a Prime (and LOVE it... three Primes in three years)!

10. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just to be clear, photo is altered with wing attached?
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah. It was a Photo Shop response to some of the other um, "over the top" modifications seen on this site (IE: buy a new aerodynamically optimized car and then proceed bastardize it by lowering to Lamborghini levels or lifting to mud-runner swamp buggy clearances).

The car was one of mine but the wing was "lifted" (via PhotoShop) from a '69 Dodge Daytona/Plymouth Superbird.

Marine Ray and jerrymildred like this.
  12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Of course it can. I would submit that, if you're putting yourself in situations where quicker 0-60 acceleration is needed, it's not the car that's unsafe, it's the driver.

Actually, the Prime would have been a quicker than usual car back in the 80s. Check out some of these leisurely times:
    1980 Audi 4000 -- 0-60 mph 11.4
    1980 Audi 5000S Diesel -- 0-60 mph 20.3 (Apparently everyone who ever tried to merge onto a freeway died in the attempt. :LOL:)
    1983 Buick Century T Type -- 0-60 mph 14.0
    1980 Chevrolet Chevette -- 0-60 mph 15.7
    1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (Manual) -- 0-60 mph 9.7 (Most Camaros were a little quicker, but some were slower.)
    1980 Ford Mustang -- 0-60 mph 11.7 (Prime whups a Mustang!!)
    1980 Ford Mustang Cobra -- 0-60 mph 10.8 (AND a Cobra!)
    I'll let you explore for yourself. How did we ever survive? :D
    1980's Car 0-60 Specs | Find 0 to 60 & Quarter Mile Times for 1980’s Cars!

citiprius, Ovation and Graz like this.
  13. miatadan

miatadan New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually forgot those days, first car I had was used 1982 Ford Mustang.

Pricing wise, I can afford 2022 BMW 330e with few options , interest rate 4.49% , $2500 deposit and $2500 ev rebate / $352 bi-weekly but it is roughly $11,000 more than Prius Prime upgrade, interest rate 3.79%, no deposit, $2500 ev rebate / $259.19 bi-weekly

the rwd handling with 0-60 mph at 5.6 sec closer to what I am used too, but trying to decide it worth the $11,000 difference + tax

Dan

14. Donald Lepsch

Donald Lepsch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They still have lead acid battery and have not up graded to a heat pump as far as I know! Don

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you like fast cars, the Prius Prime may not be for you. However, test-drive it with the Power mode turned on, which requires the accelerator pedal to be pressed less, and see if you still don't like it. I think it is powerful enough for safe merges—it is more of a personal taste if it has enough power or not. Note that unlike your Mustangs, it is electric, and you get a lot of torque at low rpms.

Last but not least, get the Blue Magnetism color, which looks sportier than other color choices.

[​IMG]

citiprius likes this.
  16. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hey if you can afford it - go for it; life's short. But if your still on the fence - read this:
    https://www.asburyauto.com/compare/2022-toyota-prius-prime-vs-2021-bmw-330e/210643
    1. less than half the mileage
    2. reliability issues
    3. lower resale value
    4. definitely more expensive to insure and operate.
    5. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's even a dip-stick on these new ones. If your lucky - you'll get a CEL just before it blows up - IMHO
    6. These new BMW are NOT DIY friendly. If your fine with paying the dealership for all your car needs - No worries.

#16 BiomedO1, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  17. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    You looked at the wrong Prime. If you want a faster PHEV, look at the RAV4 Prime. 0-60 in about 5.7 seconds, but it's an SUV.

When I had the Prius Prime, 0-30 was OK, but 0-60 and passing speed was slow. That's one of the reasons I traded it in for a Leaf. Also, I didn't want to stop by gas stations weekly and get oil changes 3x a year. And I wanted better adaptive cruise control and lane centering.

If you can make an EV work for you, look at a Tesla model 3, Mustang Mach-E, and Polestar 2 Dual motor.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    LOL, yeah, at three times the cost of the Prius Prime.

19. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    The models I listed are about $45k after the $7500 tax credit, if applicable. In line with the price of the BMW 330e @miatadan listed. And it's only twice the price of a barebones Prius Prime. 1.5x the price of the Limited.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wrong car, wrong application