1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My organ

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, May 14, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Having located my digital camera (a 2.1 MegaPixel Fuji Finepix, weighing 10 oz and much too bulky to carry around easily) and taken the Xebra pictures I've posted in the Other Cars forum, I decided it was time to get a smaller camera. My new Canon PowerShot SD 1000 is capable of taking movies. So, for all you music lovers, you can see and hear me playing my organ [BAD LINK DELETED]. It's my first movie, so I hope it works okay.

EDIT. I am going to start editing this first post of the thread to contain all the links. Here they are, in order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnRSeTk_r4Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvMBq_Q-vow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmOhelGiDw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1sapALoCWM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDUt3lsD2M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ5El2061P0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUWGfsTrVAQ

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I enjoyed that. :)

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I don't know why I even looked at a posting entitled "my organ" by daniel- I guess it was morbid curiosity! :lol:
    Anyway, I can't access YouTube from work, but I'll check it out later.

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 14 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]441654[/snapback]</div>
    I assure everyone, it is suitable for the entire family.

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was cool! Very nice clean video. I've always wanted to seen the inner workings of one of those. By the way where is the dancing monkey? :unsure:

6. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

I can honestly say that I have never seen anything quite like that. Quite nice.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A guy playing with his organ. Go figure, he has a smile on his face too. :eek:

Hey daniel, just don't play with it too often or your crank might fall off. :lol:

Entertaining video and catchy tune . . . almost makes me want to reach for a brass ring . . . and throw it at the clown. ;) :)

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 14 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]441804[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the crank is held on by a wing nut that has a tendency to slip. I really do have to be careful, or the crank would fall off. :)

9. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A very pleasant surprise indeed. I have to admit I was expecting something entirely else. Very cool.

10. ozyran

ozyran New Member

That was enjoyable. Do you play it out on the street at all?

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, I watched it more than once. It's catchy.

12. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I will turn it into an mp3. With umm your permission of course. :)

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 14 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]442001[/snapback]</div>
    I'm planning on it. It's so new I haven't yet. One day I'll get someone to hold the camera and do another tune, and show the inner workings of the organ.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ May 14 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]442025[/snapback]</div>
    I certainly don't mind. Technically there might be copyright issues. When I buy the music rolls I have the right to play them in public, and I take that to mean I can play them on YouTube. If you record them other than for your own entertainment you might be violating the copyright of the music-roll company. But that's not my problem.

Today I got three more music rolls, in addition to the four I got with the organ. I'll definitely be doing some more of these videos for YouTube.

14. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 14 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]442064[/snapback]</div>
    It this something you can buy new or is everything old and used? Antique I should say.

Please post the other music when you get a chance. This stuff is addicting to listed to plus it gets stuck in your head.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Where do I put the quarter?
    (No monkey. No monkey's hat. No monkey tipping his hat to collect my quarter.)

That looks to be in great shape, like new. Or is it new?

I saw many of these in Germany last time I was there. One was on a stripped down baby carriage to make it more portable.

Yours uses rolls? The ones I saw were a series of cards connected zig-zag fashion. They were literally punch cards.

Which leads me to....it is an organ like Daniels' that is responsible for the computer. Organs using punch cards influenced the invention of the jacquard loom. And the jacquard loom influenced the punch cards that originally programmed computers. So you see.....without music there would be no computers.

And we wouldn't be able to log on to the internet and watch Daniel play on YouTube.

Maybe you can get a plush toy monkey?

[​IMG]

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ May 14 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]442071[/snapback]</div>
    The organ is brand new. Built custom for me. That is, it's a standard model of the builder, but he builds them to order.

And yes, I will definitely be recording and posting more songs. And eventually, at least one showing the innards in motion, but for that I need a camera operator.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 14 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]442081[/snapback]</div>
    The first one I saw (at the Nickelodeon Museum in Revelstoke, B.C.) uses the "books" you described. There are book-playing organs, and roll-playing organs. Books are more ungainly, and more subject to problems if there's wind. Rolls are easier. Originally I wanted a book-playing organ, but the dealer talked me into rolls.

There are also organs that use electronics and a memory chip to control the pipes, as well as organs with electric motors to power the bellows and the roll, but neither of these has any character, and this organ builder does not make them. For me, there'd be no fun just pressing a switch. I lack the coordination to play a musical instrument, but this is one I can play. And I want to play it, not merely switch it on.

I ordered a plush monkey two weeks ago from a fair-trade store on the internet. So far they have not charged my card and I have heard no word of my monkey.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    NOTICE: I screwed up and accidentally deleted my organ video from YouTube. I had recorded another, but it was too big for YT, so I re-recorded it at lower resolution, but that also reduced the audio quality, so I tried to delete it, and accidentally deleted the good one.

I am uploading it again, but it may be a few hours before it's available. (It took a LONG time to upload! It's 75 MB.) When that's done, I'll post the new URL here. Then I'll investigate whether the camera software will allow me to edit the video for size without compromising the audio quality. Otherwise I'd be limited to the shorter songs.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha Daniel deleted his own organ after trying to make it bigger!!! Didn't you do your research and realize you cannot make it bigger without risking losing it forever? :lol:

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The video is re-loaded and is now HERE.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 15 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]442546[/snapback]</div>
    Wrong. I recorded a longer song at the same resolution, and it was too big for YouTube. So I recorded it at a lower resolution, but didn't like the quality. So I tried to delete it, but mistakenly deleted the good one.

Now the good one is back up. I need to research video editing before making some more videos.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 15 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]442546[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I think it was a case of premature withdrawal . . . now he can't get it back up. :mellow:

EDIT: OK, he got it back up, but it took longer than he would have liked. :lol: