1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My PHEV PRIUS Test: Apples vs Oranges

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by hill, Apr 19, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Today was long but good. Check it out - THREE fuel sippers , same drive way - Nissan Leaf, Lesus AWD SUV Hybrid, & behold, the Plug-in Prius:

[​IMG]

What should I drive ... decisions decisions.
    :p
    It all started a few days ago. Got an email from Erica, who set me up with the company that Toyota works with .... next thing I know, I'm on an abandoned air strip (that's where they were storing a bunch of their cars they test) which is fortunately just a few miles north of us:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although I have almost 2 months in the Gen I, and 7 years in the Gen II, I've only had a couple weeks in the Gen III ... just enough to be familiar. My desire was to see how my Leaf experience, and Gen II hypermile experience would effect the Prius Plug-in. As was the case with Paradox, the Lithium pack was depleted.

NO PROBLEM!
    Driving regular with the extra dead weight was EXACTLY what I was looking forward to! I though for my 1st drive, I drive around the city a bit, then head north to Disney, where I work. With the depleted Lithium doing nothing, Below is my first effort at good mileage in the Prius Plug-in, on the 30ish minute trip to work, on side streets. I'm not super familar with the readout, but I think it recorded 79.6mpg:

[​IMG]

Not too shabby for a beginner?
    :p
    Ok so I've done a few hyper mile tanks in the Gen II:

[​IMG]

But with the Plug in?? I really wasn't trying all that hard to get extreme mileage! So after arriving at work, I plugged in for a few minutes, and got about 4 1/2 miles EV range stored up in the Lithium pack(s) ... not too much ... but I wanted to see how that would go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I check the Plug-in's gauge when I got home, to see how much better, if at all, the 4 1/2 EV miles helped. Basically, I get on the freeway in just a block, and freeway traffic typically dictates driving at about 50mph. The last 1/2 of the 20 mile drive is on side streets:

[​IMG]

Am I reading the meter right? I can't believe it ... 82.0mpg ?? Woah! This is just the read out ... not actually dividing gallons pumped in type math. Stilll . . . . it was FUN.

Below are a few shots parked in our garage ... juicing up on the 240V Leaf charger ... juicing up on the 120V charger, etc. Being designed with a MUCH smaller pack than our Leaf, it charges up REAL quick on 240V:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are TONS of Gen II's & III's around here. I lost track of folks turning ... doing a double take at the Plug-In logo's on the side of the car ... along w/ the unusual metalic sky blue color. Tomorrow will be the 1st day fully charged. My car pool partner's Prius is 4 years newer than our 2004. I can't wait to see what he thinks when I pick him up tomorrow.

Comparisons: The "Power" - "Eco" modes on the Plug-in are quite different from the Leaf. It's Eco regen is so hard core, that letting off the gas feels like someone's holding the brake down almost 1/4 of the way. I DO like me some regen ... the more the merrier. When charging, the battery management fan's volume is very noticable too, comparred to the Leaf.

She-who-must-be-obeyed took it out for a long spin. She made 3 shopping stops, all averaging about 3 miles apart. The Prius was juiced up with 2 miles of EV range when she left. When she got back, she'd managed to get 65mpg ... and for a lead foot racing to the next red light? Not too shabby. She's looking forward to me taking the Plug in tomorrow so she can run around in the Leaf. I better go check the mileage.
    :eek:
    Ok it's way to late ... more of this on another day.
    THANK you Toyota - you REALLY did a great job.

17 people like this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow! Lucky! I guess that's one of the benefits of living in So Cal.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome! Seems like you have already done the worst case scenario (empty EV pack and freeway driving) and it performed remarkably well. I wonder if GM is paying attention. A large 5 passenger car that can get 70+mpg with no wall charge assistance.

4. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why is it that none of the Prius PHV "tests" done by folks on this site show pics of the battery ?

5. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because Toyota require that the drivers do not disassemble the car in any way. There's plenty of photos online if you use this thing called google.

6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying something is "bleached" or "spinned" by testers? Can you go straight to the point? :confused:

[I'm presently testing one (and got 51mpg unplugged for 180miles highway, averaging 51MPG - with cruise control and air cond), tomorrow I'll post it here. FYI, it has 5.2KWh, and takes 2h to fill with a 230V socket. Everyone knows that, but you always try to get around on purpose...]

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ok! Another day with Toyota's latest and greatest mpg champ. On the 20 mile drive to work (4am - no traffic and 95% of the lights green) this morning -fully charged, I got even MORE pleased. Like Chevy Chase said, in the 'Vacation' movie ... I'm gona need plastic surgery to remove the smile from my face.
    :D

Any one in the O.C. area today - c'mon down the the Lake Forest Fudruckers restaurant if they want to check out the Prius plug-in.
    23621 El Toro Rd
    Lake Forest, CA
    The gear heads bring their hot rods down there, from all over, and we'll have the Prius there, as well as a Leaf (or two).

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Gary; its awesome that you were picked for this trial!! and i am still in the plug in Pri interest group (hint!!) so any insight you provide would be greatly appreciated but what REALLY impresses me is your ability to leave your Leaf AT HOME!!

9. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hill,
    How long did it take on the 240V charger? Is the connector the same as the 22 foot cord that came with the Plug in Prius?

We had a Plug in Prius to test for 4 days in early April for the OC Prius Club and Orange Coast College Green Energy day- it was awesome!!! Even I averaged 75 MPG (included all the test drives for everyone at the club).

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

how does that compare to your Gen3?

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's why they say, "your mileage will vary". It's been in the high 60's for the past few days, so no need to run AC. In addition, 1/2 or less of our driving has been freeway/high speed ... ergo, higher mpg's. BTW, it's probably a typo ... but it's 240V.
    Leave it at home? I wish ... "she-who-must-be-obeyed" is driving it even as I type ... I just checked carwings and the Leaf charge is down to 50% :p
    I first used our Avcon hardwired 240V charger ... then my wife use our (pEEf here on PC) Leaf 120V charger modified with a 240V switching power supply. Both took just a skosh over 93 minutes when totally depleted.

As for the Lithium packs, I didn't specifically ask about tearing into the compartment to mess with it for pictures ... kind of a respect thing - since I didn't get permission, or know if it would have been given. In any event - during lunch today, I took one of the hybrid advocates out for a ride (they have a camery, but espeically his wife, WANTS a plug in ... the dealer told them Toyota has no intension of making them :D) and he loved it. His wife is ready to buy NOW, but they'll keep waiting 'till next year.

1 person likes this.
  12. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume people interested in the Plugin would be highly eager to see the primary enhancement to the platform i.e. the plugin battery system.
    Second, the pics will tell us whether your prototype is the same as the OP's and show us the technical changes Toyota is making.

Are you under a non disclosure contract with Toyota ? If so, I would appreciate a disclaimer.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're one lucky SOB. :D

14. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get a chance can you drive a more urban route (just noting you don't have much regen so you must be lucky enough to not have to stop hardly ever). I have a 9mi route with probably 15-20 stoplights that I am lucky to hit half of. It takes about 20 minutes to get to work. I think the plug in will be almost perfect for me but it would be cool to see a similar type route.

Also, does the car feel...chubby? with the extra battery weight?

15. LakePrius

LakePrius Special member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really wish the car had a "gear shift" position which would allow you to run in EV mode (as designed) AND a "gear shift" position that would allow you to run only in hybrid mode. That would give you the ability to choose when you wanted to use the juice in the EV batteries - and also allow you to make sure you're still connect to an EV battery if you know you have a long downhill so you can regen power into it.

It seems like a very minor modification that could provide a significant performance boost.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Exciting stuff :)
    Hill, the pictures you have taken of the front display seem to be combining miles and fuel economy since 'trip A' was set.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That was a great read. Thanks for sharing!

For future updates, can you also post the screen that shows EV to HV ratio? This way, it is clear how many miles you drove on grid power and the true MPG driven by gasoline.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice pic, hill!! <sigh> If only I somehow have American citizenship so that I can test these prototypes.

Sure you don't want a winter test, Erica? Doug? *hint hint*

Nearly 80mpg in C-S mode without the assist of C-D mode is pretty impressive (esp. given the weight gains)

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the comparison. From the grin statement, it seems you like some things about the phv prius more than the leaf. Can you give us a short run down?

20. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As said, all the pictures may be seen with a bit of google, many of them much "stripped".
    IMHO, every one of the 600 units are the same (they were delivered ina batch only), and equal to the prototype exhibited few months earlier. Toyota had no reason for last changes, since plug-in testing had ocurred before with 2Gen mules for some time. And this 3Gen has been designed to allow this enhancement very easily during assembly and service.

I'm kind of "soft poster", but for the last weeks, you, tpfun, have shown no interest in Prius knowledge in a favourable way, and commonly recognized as being bashing Prius.

Think of it a bit. Portrait as if you were a regular poster in a "Voltchat" one year ago, and I was there in a basherstyle for many posts. And suddenly, I asked some pre-beta-tester for some pictures, was would it look like?