1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my poor 08 prius got broken in...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gilbert, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    found it this morning... sad day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they went straight for the new 4 tires i had inside in the back, nothing else. alarm didnt go off for some misterious reason.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you have the glass breakage alarm option on the car, there will be no alarm for a broken window.

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the most expensive alarm the dealer had which includes the glass, but isnt the alarm supposed to go off if the door is opened when the alarm is on anyways?

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if you had the alarm it wouldn't matter. Alarms are a waste of money. All they do is make noise and they do not deter would be thieves. If they want what is inside your car they can do a smash and grab in seconds. Do you think they care if the alarm is wailing? I hate to say it, but when you have four new tires in view it is an invitation to would be thieves. Next time remember the adage out of sight, out of mind. I learned my lesson years ago when I was a teenager.

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    a lesson learned indeed. My back windows are tinted to 5% so you cant see anything there, they probably saw me putting them inside the car. Oh well, next upgrade gonna be anti theft windows! hehe

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All they have to do is reach in through the broken glass and unlock the door. No alarm will sound. I would be asking your dealer why the glass breakage alarm didn't sound. Does this "most expensive alarm" come with any insurance policy?

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On an aftermarket alarm the door pin would still trigger regardless of how they opened the door unless the alarm was deactivated by the remote. Does the factory alarm not work this way? Hmm something to try.

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i remember long time ago once i got out of the car and my gf was inside, i locked it and later she opened the door from the inside to get out and it went off, however i just did the same test now of leaving glass lowered, activating alarm, get the key out of reach and i opened it and no alarm at all. its a welcome with open arms and a courtesy light to make the theft easier :confused:. taking it to dealer for check

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about that Gilbert. Hope your insurance will make you whole or close to it. My car was recently vandalized too (but my loss was only about $30).

BTW, you have an especially nice Prius ... Touring Edition, Magnetic Gray, tinted glass, new wheels.

10. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

nah is not touring, accidentally chose that thinking i had it when i bought it, but they found out i didnt had it and never changed it hehe

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooh, that's a lousy day. Too bad. Sorry to see that happen to anyone.

It's too bad the alarm doesn't have a glass breakage sensor, or impact sensor. I installed a >$200 aftermarket alarm in my 93 Honda and it comes with not only door alarms but also impact and glass breakage sensors and alarm capabilities.

Yes, people hear car alarms all the time, and they do get mostly ignored. But I think it's impossible to quantify how many times an alarm might keep a theft from happening. If it doesn't happen, you never know it that it might.

I don't know if my car alarm has saved me any grief, I suspect the blinking light on the dash might actually be the best deterent.

For a Prius? Especially because I think they are potentially targeted by idiots, fools, and thieves, I'd want a glass breakage sensor. Once you hear the alarm, the glass has been broken, but at least if you are nearby you can immediately go check it out, and it does put more pressure on anyone vandalizing/stealing from your car.

PS. Last time I was looking at Car Gadgets, I noticed many of the Alarms can and will page you if the alarm is set off. Thus if you are enjoying a dinner, theatre, and your car is parked blocks away in a parking garage, you can immediately start worrying and ruin your whole evening that much quicker. Maybe ignorance is bliss?

12. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hate thieves - scum suckers they are. Sorry to hear they got you. Hopefully your insurance covers everything.

13. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What did they do to it for such a low loss?

14. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think its better to not lock my car at all....sorry for your loss

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They stole the 2 chromed plastic wheel covers from my driver's side wheels:

[​IMG]

IMO, the chrome wheel covers look great, but they're inexpensive -- you can get a set of 4 for $60 delivered -- so my loss was only about $30.

16. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went to the dealer and had the alarm inspected, the car has both the toyota one, and the KARR one that i had installed also by the dealer, BOTH of them failed to go off when they broke the window (karr glass breakage) then opening the door while alarms still active (toyota alarm). Turns out that *if* the KARR alarm is working, the car would make the regular beep when is actvated, plus a honk to tell the karr once is active (which only did the first day i bought the car back in 2007) as well some blinking from the alarm LED under the steering wheel (mine doesnt blink at all - dead). The guy reprogramed them on spot and when he delivered the car back to me, the alarms stopped working once again. He doesnt know whats going on, so on Saturday they are replacing the whole system for an 09' model.

17. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm glad I live in a rural area.
    In Lockport near me, they tell people to leave your car unlocked.
    If you're dumb enough to even leave pennies on the console the kids will break a window to get it.

18. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Geez it's sux to get broken in!On the bright side, at least they didn't grab your MFD....this thing worth some serious bux.

19. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Went to the dealer, got a new 09 alarm system installed free of charge, also noticed that now when i turn the car on, it auto locks the doors! :D and when u turn it off it unlocks them. Also has a super bright blinking LED that can easily be seen as the alarm indicator. hoping it keeps thieves away!

20. Pretendo

Pretendo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Sorry to hear about your break-in.

This happened to a friend of mine last year. He parked his car in a brightly lit spot, in a not-so-nice neighborhood and everyone else pretty much said it's going to get broken into (they all grew up in and around LA and knew a thing or two about keeping a car secure). We're all in the Marine Corps and each of our cars were loaded with gear for a field op the next day. So lo and behold, next morning, the car's broken into and all his gear in the back--stolen.

So nowadays I'm sure to keep my car away from bright light, but not far enough to keep it completely enshrouded in dark.