1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius accident case - update 05/23/07

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by siliconhybrid, May 17, 2007.

1. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My 2007 Prius got rear-ended, total loss.

Long story short, the traffic was at complete stop, I was at complete stop, the Oddesey driver didnt realize the traffic stopped, and rear ended my Prius and pushed it to hit the GMC Envoy in front of me. Total estimate to repair is $15K - deemed total loss. CA law states if the repair is more than 50% of car value = automatic total loss, said my insurance agent.

My insurance company only wants to pay $25K (they will bill the other insurance, since I'm not at fault - pending police collision report). I am the victim here. I bought it only 6 months ago.

I want to get another Prius with CA HOV sticker. I have package #4 Magnetic Gray.
    Anyone seriously want to sell your car? I am in San Jose area.

Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The liability of the other driver is not limited by what his or your insurance chooses to pay under the policy. If you are out more money than the settlement, you can recover the difference (up to $7500 in most California Counties, for example) in small claims court without lawyers. Nolo Press has a good book on the subject of Small Claims Court.

p.s. remove your stickers or hurry up and apply for replacement at $8. Just sayin'....

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ May 17 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]444644[/snapback]</div>
    That won't do any good. They're tied to the VIN.

4. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hmmmm, I have a white 2004, package #3, grey interior, 62,000 miles, needs some cosmetic body work, has stickers and Toyota extended warranty to 75,000 miles. I've been thinking about trading it in on a new one (I really want one with the back-up camera), I rarely need to use the carpool lane. PM me if you have any interest.

5. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What a bummer. Such a beautiful car too. Hey, do you think you'd be able to remove that passenger mirror, and sell it to me? I just broke mine the other day, and i'm looking for a cheap replacement.

6. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 18 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]445004[/snapback]</div>
    I was only able to sneak out the rectangular piece inside the armrest from the body shop ^_^

My case is in limbo right now. None of the parties involved want to accept fault, this is a 4 car accident, bunch of liars out there espc car# 3 & 4 (I was car#2). I am just hoping the police report will come out soon, it has been 2 weeks, the CHP office says usually it takes 3 weeks. I am thinking of hiring an attorney. Is it a good thing to do?

btw I got a neck & back pain injury, I couldn't lift up my head from my bed for 3-4 nights. The car slammed at me very hard. I still feel my neck sore, it has been 2 weeks now.

Do you think I have a chance begging to the DMV, asking for replacement for my future Prius. I know..I know the stickers are tied to the VIN#, but what is my chance? 0%? even if I mentioned it was deemed as total loss? anyone with similar situation as this before?

7. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am glad it appears that you are ok. I hope you get checked out.

What did you pay for your car? It would seem you could get that package for a good right now?

Who is your insurance with?

I am with geico and they don't have gap insurance and I am afraid if I got hit it would not pay for the money I paid for the new car and the 1600 left over from my old car loan. Plus taxes and dealer fees.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(siliconhybrid @ May 18 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]445330[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, you do need to retain an attorney. You have been injured and are entitled to have your medical expenses reimbursed as well a be compensated for your pain and suffering. Most personal injury lawyers are paid on a contingency basis, so it should not cost you anything out of pocket. Contact your local bar association referral service for recommendations.

I have an 05 package 6, Salsa Red, in pristine condition, with just under 32,000 miles and with the HOV stickers still in the envelope in which they came. I'll part with it if the price is right.

9. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I hadn't planned to sell it but it might be an excuse to get a new one. Anyway, here in San Diego, I have a 2004 package 7 (safety package), most options except for Nav and CD changer) tideland pearl with 27,000 miles, HOV stickers, 100,000 mile warrenty. I am retired and HOV stickers are not a big deal to me. If interested let me know.

10. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 18 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]445349[/snapback]</div>
    At this point, since no one wants to take fault, the big piece of evidence is the police report. I am more than confident I wont be at fault as I was clearly at stop for at leat 5 to 10 seconds. I just found out from my insurance company (AAA) that:
    *) Driver #4 said: I hit car#1, then car #3 hit #2 (me) and therefore car#4 hit #3.
    **) Driver#3 said: car#2 (me) stopped, car#4 hit car#3, and car#3 was pushed to car#2, and car#2 was pushed to car#1
    ***) I said: car#3 hit car#2 (me) and I got pushed to car#1. As far as car#4 I didnt even see #4 until I got out of the car. A lot of ppl asked me, how many rear impacts did I feel.... I said... I dont know, it happened so fast, I forgot to count. This is actually supposed to be the big evidence, if I said I felt only 1 impact, then car #4 hit car#3 first. If I said I felt 2 impact, it means car#3 hit me first. But I really dont remember. Ah.. I got a headache just thinking about it.

I paid $26.3K + prepaid maintenance + ext warranty + tax = $32K. The new package#5 (Do you know that Toyota dont make package#4 anymore?) cost is $26.2K. However, ppl with HOV stickers seems to jack up the price $3K-4K premium, that makes the used Prius with HOV to be more expensive than the new one. However my insurance AAA don't care abt the HOV value.

btw, mine was package #4 2007. I much prefer buy 2006 and newer and package#4 or above, color accepted: mag gray & blue.

My neck sore hasn't healed (2 weeks now), I am feeling backpain after some exercise. I am going out of the country in 8 days, and my car is in the repair shop and marked "hold". I went to Kaiser hospital (emergency clinic) that same day of accident. I am going back there again tomorrow, and most likely go to some chiropracter, but I have been using my health coverage from company (I paid only deductable $15 per visit)

what should I do?

thanks for the mental supports.

11. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Sorry to see such a beautiful car get nailed - I hope all goes better in the future though! Good luck with your search.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  13. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    California law says the car who rear-ends someone is always at fault.

So the only insurance issue is whether you rear-ended car #1. If you did, your insurance pays for car #1. Anyone behind you pays for the car in front, no question.

And, if your insurance company can make a good case that you were pushed into car #1, then car #2 probably pays for him too.

They should be able to determine the impact from the damage. If your car was stopped, it should have been level when it hit car #1. If you were braking, your front end would be lower than normal. (Your rear end would be higher during braking, but lower if the car was stopped.)

Whether the insurance companies will spend much time figuring this out is the question. Your insurance company may find it cheaper to pay for car #1 and blame you---after all, they don't care if they increase your premiums.

Fight with AAA and insist you were stopped. Make them prove otherwise, and make them say so in writing.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(siliconhybrid @ May 17 2007, 10:30 PM) [snapback]444616[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for your loss. Your car is current so IMO hold out for a replacement. Check with your DMV's policy on transferring the stickers if the car is totalled. Keep track of all out of pocket medical expenses as this is part of your auto insurance claim. Good luck and get better.

15. zaxinc

zaxinc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    silicon,

First, I'm glad your injuries weren't worse. Second, please let us know if you're able to transfer your stickers, since this car was totaled.

I'm surprised so many don't even use the carpool lanes after getting the stickers.

16. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zaxinc @ May 20 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]446426[/snapback]</div>

I will definetely try to ask DMV on this and let you guys know, it will be quite a while tough.

For those who keep tuning to what happened to my accident, I picked up the official police report this morning. I am so glad it didnt take 3 or more weeks.

Basically the verdict is:
    " P-3 (Party or Car#3) caused this collision by driving in violation of 22350 V.C [unsafe speed for the condition]. P-3 was travelling too fast to safely stop prior to the front of V-3 collidng with the rear of V-2 (that's me). P-4 was an associated factor in this collision by driving in violation of section 22350 V.V [unsafe speed for the condition]. P-4 was travelling too fast to safely stop prior to the front of V-4 colliding with the rear of V-3.... The force of the collision pushed V-2 forward where the front of V-2 collided with the rear of V1"

17. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    WAIT A SECOND, 50% of the value, total loss?!?!??!?!

My repair bill from the lady who hit me was over 15k and I only had my car for 6 days!

They said it had to be 80% of the cost of the car.

That is awful. I just wanted a new car... but in the end its worked out though, they finally got her back to me and I was one of the last to get the carpool stickers.

18. Submarine Dude

Submarine Dude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ May 21 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]446941[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about other companys but AAA (my insurance co. as well) is very quick to total a vehicle.

I had a similar experience back in Feb. A woman (now known to be an illegal) ran a stop sign and I T-boned her Voyager. Did $13,000 damage to the front end of my 6-month old '06 w/stickers (everything aft of the firewall was still in factory condition). AAA almost immediately totaled the vehicle. DMV also told me that there was no way to transfer the stickers to another vehicle and that they would not issue a new set.

19. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 20 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]446214[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, I just went through this 2 weeks ago. I got hit from behind, pushed into car in front. Car in front stopped suddenly in the middle of a block (don't know why) I stopped behind her, but had to brake strongly to get stopped in time, car behind me was a 92 Corolla and could not stop in time. Luckily, the impact felt much worse than the damage; final repair bill was $700 for my car to remove, repair and repaint the rear bumper and replace front license bracket. Insurance for 92 Corolla paid my deductible and repairs.

You always have to drive in a manner to avoid traffic in front of you, otherwise you are driving too fast for conditions. If you get pushed into the vehicle in front, you may need liability to protect you against claims by the driver in front; luckily for me, there was no discernable damage to her car and she was ok.

If you are in this type of accident (pretty common) make sure to get information from both the driver in front and the driver in back for your insurance claim. I made the mistake of just gathering info for the driver who hit me, but my insurance wanted info on the driver in front for any liability claim against me. I was lucky it worked out.

20. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's great news, silicon. The police report shows you're totally not at fault in the accident. If insurance company pays for Car #1 (the one you were pushed into), they'll go after #3 for pushing you. So they'll recover their costs and you shouldn't be found at fault. Chances are, however, they'll just tell #1's company to get paid by #3.

Meanwhile, you should push hard on your insurance company to get the max value for your totalled car. After all, company #3 is paying, so your insurance has nothing to lose by negotiating on your behalf.