1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured My Prius center touch screen and isn’t properly functioning. NEED cheaper alternative to dealer.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ian Simons, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Ian Simons

Ian Simons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m in in the Inland Empire - Riverside, California. My 2007 Prius touch screen is glitching “Lexus” logo and going black then going back to blue with Prius synergy. Basically it’s going haywire. I can’t use the touch screen buttons, or rather, rarely can. Sometimes it works for like 5 mins before going back to unfuctional.
    I talked to the dealer and they just want to replace it, which is no longer in my budget due to other repairs that I finally took care of.
    Does anyone know of someone in the Inland Empire or even the Los Angeles area that can possibly offer a cheaper alternative to completely replacing it.

Please let me know.
    THANKS.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can find a junk yard with Prius... Ideally a junk yard that lets you pull your own parts... That way you can practice removing it, so it's not unfamiliar territory when you replace the one in your car. I've seen used screens on Ebay in the $130 range, but a junk yard will be a lower price than that.

SparkyFirefly and SFO like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a ton of youtube videos that show you how easy it is to remove the Gen 2 MFD. It's modular. Pretty much you snap out the speakers, snap out part of the dash, then boom shakalaka.
    Here you go.
    Toyota Prius Screen: Parts & Accessories | eBay

Montgomery likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with auto be yours and texas hybrids. for installation, call avi at advanced automotive in tejunga.

SFO likes this.
  5. Ian Simons

Ian Simons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Listen here bisco, I don’t want no jokes. I said I need somone reputable in Southern California to help install it - Not Mexico.

(Thanks you to the other members for letting me know where to buy the modular)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get a clue lafoo.;)

Silver_Prius_2006 likes this.
  7. wanderso

wanderso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Take a quick peek at YouTube searching for Prius MFD removal to see how the dash comes apart and how it can be swapped out. I upgraded my stereo with a new Pioneer receiver this last weekend. Swapping out the MFD can be done pretty quickly. Be careful when removing the vent covers. The plastic is pretty brittle. I did it exactly as instructed and still ended up cracking one of them. The wrecking yard suggestion is a good one if you can find one.

iPhone ?

8. Ian Simons

Ian Simons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I have an I phone. Why? Could you possibly post the link to the video your’re referring to on here. That would be great.
    Thanks Ian.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you see a phone model followed by “?” at the end of any post, it is just the stupid default signature automatically inserted by the forum client software being used by the poster. It would be great if people using that software would update their preferences so that there wasn’t continual confusion for new forum members.

He wasn’t linking to any particular YouTube video, rather he was advising you to search YouTube using “Prius MDF” as the search words. Presumably there will be many videos from which to choose in the search results.

Hope that helps.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ian,

The MFDs are extremely easy to replace, but it's important that you take yours out and get the model number off the back before you order a replacement. There are several different models.

In my area, we also have a small electronics shop that sometimes advertises on Craigslist that they repair Gen 2 MFDs for $150

Montgomery likes this.
  12. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "boom shakalaka"? really? you got sum brudda runnin in yo blood like me? LoL! Love it!!

hill likes this.
  13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He meant Tujunga, its near Canoga Park, not Mexico. (just helping out)

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring