1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius comes on Tuesday!!! Questions for owners....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SecretSquirrel, Oct 9, 2004.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel New Member

So - I ordered my car in March. I was 7th on the list and now my car is here (or at least at a port in New Jersey by now). I'm crossing my fingers for the plan 9 (or whatever they call it now) in blue or green... but may just take whatever comes in because at this point I am desperate.

Anyway, now that I will actually be in possession of a Prius, I have a few questions for current owners. The first has to do with door dings. I work at a company with 5,000 other people (or at least that many parking spaces). Unfortunately, they cram us all into spots that are about a foot too narrow. My old beater Hyundai looks so much worse after just a year of working there. Has anyone noticed that Prii or certain Pius colors are super susceptible to door dings? Is there anyting that I can purchase at the dealership to help protect against this (specifically against the paint marks that the car doors tend to leave)? My only other option is to get to work at 6:45 am in order to get a spacious spot- and the chances of that happening are slim to none!

My next question has to do with the NAV system. I am just looking for some general opinions or advice on the system. I have read all sorts of horror stories about it and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money. I kind of have my heart set on it, but I'd like to be a little more knowledgeable about it before I give up a car without the system.

Thanks in advance! And send some vibes my way for the Blue or Green Plan 9!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SecretSquirrel\";p=\"44311)</div>
    Does the dealer sell bright orange cones that you can put in the spaces on either side of your car? :) Seriously, I'm knocking on wood that I haven't received any dings yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SecretSquirrel\";p=\"44311)</div>
    I have the NAV and love it. Granted, I don't use it every day, but it has helped get me out of downtown Chicago when I needed directions. It's great fun when I have passengers and we are trying to figure out where to go to lunch, for example. Occationally, I use it as a reminder; if I need to stop at the store, I set it as a destination and Priapus takes me right there. I'm not sure what horror stories you've heard, but I love mine.

3. SecretSquirrel

I'd love to get a force field to put around the car, but I was thinking more along the lines of the 3M plastic thing they have at some dealerships. Or at least, I think they have something like that. Can you tell that I have no idea about this sort of thing?

The reminder for the NAV system is an awesome idea, especially considering that I am the absent-minded professor type. My gut instinct (and my geeky husband) tells me to hold out for the NAV. The rest of me, however, wants the car NOW!

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't help with the parking problem but before making a decision on the fitted NAV system I'd suggest you research the Garmin 2610,2620 or the 2660 first. I personally have chosen the 2620. If you are in an area where you might lose the gps signal for a relatively long period of time ( eg.10-20 min) and cost is not a consideration I'd go with the 2660 which has an inertial gyro-type system to continue a DR for that period until the signal is available. The 2620 is portable ( you can set it up in your livingroom and play around with it) or use it in another vehicle. My software system covers the whole of N. America including Canada in great detail ( even my little town of Duncan BC). The price here in Canadian dollars is close to $1500, much cheaper than the Toyota package. Each to his own as they say.
    Gary

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Canuck

Where can I view/purchase the Garmin Nav systems?

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you get the Nav System any Nav system my advice is to use it. Use it for everything. Take a minute and set it up for every trip. Yes I know that you know how to get to work, school, home grocery store, but you will learn to use the system that way and how it works. As for alternative systems I have used the iQue for since it was out and I am not impressed it is better, different but not better. Each has strong and weak points. The Garmin is a bit strident. My friends call it the Nav Nazi. The Toyota is a bit gentler. The Garmin iQue is a bit easier to input data. I prefer the pen system and QWERTY keyboard to the alphabetical one of the Toyota system. If you get an upscale system check into the integration with the Prius. Remember that the Prius uses a GPS and a dead reckoning system. When satellites are out of position (i.e. few available and out on the horizon) you will get "off roading" and satellites unavailable. This is true in downtown areas where you may need them the most. Many of the more expensive arftermarket systems will do this but will they integrate with the Prius. Check in to it. I give the Toyota system the edge on points, but not by a lot.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Prius Nav system does have a geek feature for Lucy Jeanne. As you enter the address, only letters that can possibly follow the one you just entered are displayed. :) I hope they don't have any errors in their dictionary!

9. SecretSquirrel

Actually, there is one great Nav system option that my husband uses in his car. It's not an option for me because it requires a laptop, but it was very affordable (as long as you own a laptop). It's from DeLorme and it's a little yellow GPS receiver. The software runs on your computer and does the turn-by-turn directions and also has great search features (such as within a given radius and direction of travel searches). It's what I am using as a comparison to the Toyota's Nav system.

As far as my choices go, I think I am going to either get the Toyota Nav system or none at all. Any other system just won't be as integrated (please correct me if I am wrong on that one), and that's what I love about the Toyota system.

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tideland Prius,
    I bought mine from GPS Central in Calgary 403 239-1400 and ask to speak to George. He was very helpful answering questions I had. Ordered it on a Wednesday and it was at my front door on Friday morning via Canada Post.

11. ifftster

ifftster New Member

I enjoy the nav system, and like the fact that it is integrated into the mfd. I wouldn't want to have an additional unit to mount somewhere inside or hold.

12. Peking Duck

Peking Duck Junior Member

I love the NAV system. Even though I've driven to my office (20 miles) for 3 years On my first day the NAV system directed me to a cut across road I did not know about that cut 10 minutes off my commute (by avoiding a major traffic backup). Since this is an every day savings the savings will be significant. Funnily enough the only other car I saw on this route was another Prius and this was during the height of the Boston rush hour.

13. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm optimistic that your Prius will get respect from those who park with you, in that it doesn't look like other cars.. also it is not as wide as other cars and they will have to go out of their way to do damage...

As for the NAV... I love mine use it all the time... haven't had any problems so far.. only had the Prius a month...

Bob Andersen

14. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Maybe it's just a matter of time, but the only dings I've gotten are FROM the Nav system :wink: . This may be because the car is a bit narrower than most (though you won't feel that way when you're in it), or it may be that I'm parking 5 blocks away from all other cars.

Your version of the Prius Nav, like mine, will include all of the US and Canada. The French screens wouldn't help in Mexico anyway. I like it but I use the "Suspend" and "Resume" commands a lot so I don't have to be guided every step of the way. I still haven't put anything in the frequent destinations. If they're frequent, I don't need guidance. They would be great in a vacation area, though.

I have made maps for Chicago bus drivers and the Nav impresses me. Have fun ignoring its advice and watching it recalculate, then politely advise you to "Proceed..." but don't make a legal U-turn (I know of none in my area).

15. SecretSquirrel

Well, it's here and it's got the NAV system, so I guess the point is moot at this point. I'm glad that it has the system - it's not something that I would have picked for a car without a waiting list, but it sounds awesome and I know that I will get a lot of use out of it.

And believe it or not, the wheelbase on my current car is 6 inches LESS than the Prius and it still gets dinged up - I'm hoping that because I have a nice new car that people will respect it enough to be careful. Looking at all the Audis and Acuras with dings in the lot is disheartening, though. It may be hopeless!

BTW, it's silver. Not my first choice, but far from my last choice! I did the paperwork tonight and I pick it up tomorrow!

16. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great news! Know the feeling well and while they say anticipation is half the fun of acquiring something....IMHO in the case of the Prius actually having it and driving it has been 90%. Still had that 10% tho'. :D

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SecretSquirrel\";p=\"44887)</div>
    Unless you get there at 06:45 a.m.

:lol:

18. GrokMakeFire

GrokMakeFire New Member

Hey Squirrel -

Its 9:30 on day of delivery -- how many miles do you have on your new Prius now?

Grok

19. SecretSquirrel

Grok - I have 102 miles on it already. I started with only 4 when I picked it up yesterday at 6:30 pm!

20. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SecretSquirrel\";p=\"45308)</div>
    Congrats, Squirrel.. you are a true Prii owner... the GRIN will take about a week to wear off... have fun with your new car, like that is the dumbs thing to say.... :lol:

Bob Andersen