1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius died today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my Prius failed to operate today in the parkade. All power accessories won't work including power door locks and SKS. Called Toyota Roadside Assistance for a battery booster. The guy didn't want to follow the manual and boost from the front and wanted direct access to the 12V battery which was a pain since he was impatient and I had to remove the mat, floor, plastic bin and side cover.

Btw, my headlights were not on. They shut off when I opened the door this morning. Anyone have any idea what may cause it? I'm taking it in but the Prius techs at my dealer won't be in til Tues.

2. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear about your car. Let us know what happens as we can all learn from your experience.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry, Tideland. I'm of no help. Sounds like a definite power drain, but I have no clue what caused it. You answered the lights thing, but as we have already hashed out, it is all but impossible to leave the headlights on. I wonder though, if you had rolled the window down, shut off the car, exited, reached back in through the open window, started the car in AUX and turned the headlights back on. THAT might work. But you might remember doing that.

See, I told you I'm of no help.

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Whatever happpened to this thread? I'm sitting on pins and needles...........

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I've been busy with midterms and what not. I haven't taken my Prius in yet >.<

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was it only sitting for a day? If longer maybe one of the lights in the back were left on?

7. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if it has been a month now and it has been ok ever since,I would assume something was left on to drain the battery. But you know what happens when you assume, :wink:

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I parked it in the parkade in the morning, went to my classes and when I came back in the afternoon, it was dead. The headlights are in auto mode and they shut off when you open the door. I've listened to the radio and even had the dome lights on for an hour before and the battery never drained so I have no explanation for this event.

9. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if nothing was left on,I would also make sure that the techs checked the aux battery. All dealers have(I believe?) a tester for 12 volt batteries. It is a Midtronics,hook it to the battery,input CCA and it will run a test for the batteries storage ability. It will report good,charge & return to service,charge & retest and finally fail.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will, once I get over these midterms. ugh!

11. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know what you mean. A couple of years ago I was going for Mechanical Engineering(stopped at half way point) and you had to really keep your mind going. For me I had work,family,Boy Scouts(was leader in sons troop) and school work. I just had to put my mind to it,something I wanted to do.Now I just need to find time to go back and finish :D

12. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) rick57,

Would you not agreed that if his Aux Battery did fully dischargeit would be in need of replacing?

Ben

13. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(removeum\";p=\"66594)</div>
    Not really. I would test the battery first to see what reading I got. If I saw "Charge and Retest" that is what I would do first,charge it. After fully charged I would retest. If I got a "Fail" light,then I would replace it. I have not seen any 2nd gen Prius batteries fail as of yet,but there is always the first time.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

Well, I asked them to check it at the first scheduled maintenance but they said it's too late after the event to determine if anything is wrong so I guess I'm left hanging as to what really happened that day in January