1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius drove 5000 miles in two days without needing any gas!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ForAMorePerfectCommute, Apr 3, 2022.

1. ForAMorePerfectCommute

ForAMorePerfectCommute Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought a 2009 at a Honda dealership, and the test drive revealed the common problem with the Combination Meter problem where it randomly doesn't turn on until you unplug the 12v battery. The dealer ended up sending it to their affiliated Toyota dealer for a fix, and I got it back a couple of days later, but with an extra 5k miles showing on the display!

I assume they just bought a used one off of Ebay with similar mileage, rather than re-programming it?

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What did they charge you?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That does not sound like they actually sent it to a bona fide Toyota dealership, because they would not fix it in that manner. It certainly sounds like they bought a secondhand unit off eBay.

4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it works, what difference does it make? Hopefully they didn’t charge you anything.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, i'll bite

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good one, I’ll have to remember that.

7. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If they send it to Texas Hybrid Batteries to be repaired you tell them your mileage and they program your unit and ship it to you. Then you send them your old combo meter and they use it for the next guy. Sounds like somebody made a mistake when they told them the mileage.
    I'd ask the dealership to make it right somehow. Free oil changes for 3 years?

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If only a "Toyota Certified Mechanic" actually had enough skill to know how to use a soldering iron to replace a capacitor... Sometimes I wonder if there's anything a Toyota mechanic knows how to do other than replacing the most expensive parts before doing a thorough diagnosis?

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No car dealer will repair the parts. Doubt any hybrid shop would either. If you want that done, you have to DIY or swap with eBay part. There is no profit in fixing something like that that can be replaced with an eBay part.

10. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the dealer fixed the one in our 2007 they used the odometer reading from the previous visit (even though it was still in the "works most of the time" stage, so that they could have read the proper value). It was only a couple of hundred miles though.

11. ForAMorePerfectCommute

ForAMorePerfectCommute Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This was mostly a joke post, as I am not too angry about the mishap (I intend to keep the car for a long time). This was definitely a Toyota Dealer, as it was part of the same network as the Honda Dealer that sold me the car, and the repair shows up on the Toyota maintenance website. Also, they didn't charge me anything since it was within the return period (5 days) and I would have unwound the sale if they tried to charge me.

ColoradoCrow likes this.