1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius has arrived in port in NJ. How do I prepare?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by falcinator, Apr 18, 2004.

1. falcinator

falcinator New Member

The car arrived last Monday and hopefully will make it to the dealership in Western PA this week, they say they're probably waiting on other cars to load up for the trip.

What do I make sure to buy in preparation as far as accessories like floor mats, guards, spill protecting sprays, anything in general really.

And what do I look out for when it arrives? Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of to make sure is in place as far as the dealer's end of the deal.

In general I just want to be as prepared as I should be.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You should pop into the file library and download the pre-delivery service check file. That's a good description of what the dealership needs to do before you get your car.

I'd definately get some high-quality rubber floormats (Costco had a good deal on some). They'll save your (much more expensive) fabric Prius mats.

I got some automotive scotchgard to protect the fabric, but it's probably not completely necessary (although I've noticed that after washing the car, a bit of water drips on the top of the back seat).

That's about it! Then you just need to enjoy your car!

Dave.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it all depends, and, thought you're excited, there's no major rush.

As mentioned, if you do intend to ScotchGuard the fabric you should do it early before it gets dirty. I have not ScotchGuarded my fabric and in 6 months haven't had a stain or spill that didn't easily wipe up with a wet towel. The fabric is designed to be stain/dirt resistant. The ScotchGuard probably adds an additional layer of safety if you will have roudy kids, pets, or fraternity boys chugging beer in the car with you.

I found that the Swifter Dusters are great for the dash. Regular paper towels and cleaners don't work worth a hoot...but you won't need that for a couple of weeks.

I did buy some deep groove rubber floor mats, but have removed them in the past week or so since winter ended. Your philosophy may vary, but I bought the floor mats to protect the permanent carpeting...they're removable and washable. If they do get stained or worn I'll replace or cover them with a rubber mat at that time...In the mean time I consider them the carpet protector and don't want an ugly rubber mat permanently installed....if you're going to do that then why buy the Prius mats in the first place?

Download the voice commands from the files section and highlight a few common ones....most you'll never need/use.

Get your camera ready for those pre and post delivery photos!!

Seriously consider lining up an appt. with a window tinter...I personally feel that tinting makes the look of the prius.

4. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a quality tire pressure gauge and check them before leaving the dealership. You'll see a few ideas around here about best pressures. Most seem to range from 38FF/35RR up to 44FF/41RR. Those are above factory recommended while maintainig 3 psi FF/RR differential and observing max inflation pressure limits.

Experiment to see which you like. I'm on the low side with my oversized tires and run 38FF/35RR to (theoretically) get the largest contact patch, trading off rolling resistance and slightly lower fuel economy for increased comfort and grip.

Tire pressures are the most often overlooked PDI/PDS item. Over half of all Toyotas are delivered with ~50 psi shipping pressures that make for a harsh ride and tricky handling. Good luck and have fun!

5. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great tip on the Swifter Duster. I didn't have one of those but I did have a Pledge duster mitt. It worked great. It is also easy just to leave in one of the compartments.

Jeff

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've found that the little Micro-Fiber Cotton Towels you can get in the Auto section do just as well as the fancy treated towels in removing the dust. They also don't have any chemicals or leave any smudges on shiny surfaces.

Since they can be washed and recycled instead of getting tossed in the trash, they make me feel more in tune with the Prius Philosophy :)

I paid like $4 for a half dozen of them at Walmart, and they work great.

7. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

I thought maybe he was looking for the right prayer or meditation mantra to say... :D

8. falcinator

falcinator New Member

Thanks everyone for the useful tips! I hadn't heard anyone mention window tinting until now. I thought the side windows came fairly well tinted.....?

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nope, the side windows are just uv-resistant (kind of a vague green tinge). There's no extra tinting anywhere on the car - you'd have to get that added.

Dave