1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius has arrived!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Xiidaen, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Xiidaen

Xiidaen New Member

Hey there,

I've lurked on the site here for a while soaking up all sorts of Prius goodness while waiting for the car. I got the call this morning that it's on the lot and just waiting for prep work.

Any advice for a proud new owner to be?

I've already ordered some stuff from Coastal, I'll keep and eye on ipod solutions and sirius radio, and grab a new phone to take full advantage of the Silver 2005.6 goodness...

What am I missing?

2. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

Ask them to make sure the alignment is correct, and you should take it for a test drive before accepting the car.

3. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree on the alignment. Both of our 05's needed it.
    Congats on your new Prius!!!

4. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi and Congrats!

I am sure you are very excited as I was and still am every time I look in the driveway and see my beautiful silver car there.

On taking delivery, you might want to get the dealer prep checklist that was posted here not too long ago. I am sorry that I don't know exactly where to send you to find it but I am sure that someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

You might also want to take a tire pressure gauge with you to check the tires, and you should also check to see that the oil has not been overfilled.

A camera would also be a good idea, to capture your happy reactions upon taking delivery.

I got myself a little notebook (that fits neatly in the top glove box) which I use to record all my mileage info including date of my fillup, odometer reading, mpg average per MFD, amount of gas purchased and price paid. I am curious to see what I actually spend on this car's operation.

If you have not purchased the floor mat/cargo mat option from the dealer you can find very nice ones (floor mats) at CostCo for very little. I went ahead and sprang for the mat package so that I would be all set.

Also, if you are considering the bumper applique (which is not pictured on the Toyota website but can be seen here in the Album section) you might want to get that on ebay. There is a dealership selling them for $28.00 and another ebayer (thenukeman is his ebay id) who sells them for around $20.00. If you purchase them from the ebayer (he starts his auctions at $9.99) I would advise you to not bid above $19.99 because even if you don't win the auction he will send you a second chance offer to purchase the item at whatever your top bid price is :)

PepBoys sells door edge guard made by StyleGuard at $12.99 for a 25' roll that will more than protect the entire edge of all 4 doors. It also looks really nice and comes in Silver, Gold and Black.

Target has some super accessories like a headrest mounted waste bag/tissue box holder for around $9.99 and also has two different sized collapsible cargo totes for waaaaay less than you will pay at the dealership.

If you are thinking about seatcovers GtCovers is the place to go. I have now seen several sets in person and you can hardly tell that they are seat covers. My dealership offers them at $169 for the front set (seats, headrests and center console) but if you buy direct from GtCovers the price will be much better.

Oh, and they will probably offer you an extended warranty (mine did at $1900) but you DON'T have to buy that at the time of purchase. You can either buy it here at PriusChat or you can do what I did and tell them that you can get it at PruisChat for $985 and amazingly the price was dropped to match it. We are waiting until we are closer to the end of the 3yr/36,000 miles before we buy it but we will definitely be buying it.

You might also want to get the info together for your next year's (2005) taxes so that you will have all the info you need to get your $2000 adjustment on your income for your hybrid purchase prior to 12/31/05.

Take someone nitpicky with you who will be your extra eyes to make sure that you don't miss anything that needs attending to in your excitement of finally receiving your car.

If you had a good experience with your dealer you might also as for a few of their cards as you will most likely be approached by interested folks that will quiz you about the car and how you like it. Some dealer's will even offer you credit if someone you refer comes in and buys from them.

The most important thing is to remember to enjoy your wonderful new car. Owning and driving this car has been a never ending source of joys for the entire 25 days that mine has been home. I am sure that your experience will be just as good.

Take care and congrats again,

Tisza (Oh, yes and just so you know, I have no affiliation with any of the sources that I offered (ebay, GtCovers, CostCo, etc.) I just hate to see people spending more than they should for things.)