1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my Prius has left me for another man!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by betshsu, Mar 16, 2005.

1. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, the agony!

My boyfriend started a new job this week, with a 20 mile commute. As my commute is only 7 miles, we decided it would be more environmentally friendly to swap cars on days he drives to work (he carpools as well). The first day he took my car and I drove his VW station wagon, I pressed the button on the hatch and thought--what the heck? why isn't it opening? oh right... no SKS. Much fumbling with keys to lock and unlock the car for the rest of the day ensued. The other major problem I have is that I can't always accelerate smoothly from a dead stop in his car, because the gas is less responsive. I feel like I'm just learning to drive with all the jerking and squealing. And the steering wheel is much tighter, which could be tiring on a long drive.

Here's the unfortunately reality...he commented the other day that the more and more he drives the Prius, the more he likes it. Not too terribly surprising, as he was originally trying to buy a Prius in the fall of 2003, but couldn't wait 3 months for one as his car had been totaled by the insurance company. And he pointed out the fact that the mpg on this last tank was better than usual (the length of his commute compared to mine helps him out tremendously).

*sigh* I may never get my car back. :cry:

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Two words:

Joint Custody.

Make a deal that you get exclusive custody of the baby at night and on weekends.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the solution is clear...you need a job farther away from home than his!

4. Rumply

Rumply New Member

I think there is only one real solution for such a difficult situation...

Convert the VW into trade-in fodder for a new Prius.

Otherwise, the jealousy will simply fester and ooze, and pretty soon cause the downfall of humanity as we know it.

:p

5. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

See! This kind of thing is exactly what I'm afraid of. My husband has a 20-mile commute and I have a 5-mile coast. He was interviewing for a job that was 35+ miles away while we were waiting for delivery. He informed me that if he got the job, the Prius would be his. Of course, this made sense. He didn't get the job and said, "the car is yours". But he still sneaks off in it if he has to go into the office in the evenings or weekends. If we go anyplace on the weekends together, we take the Prius and he drives.
    So, I work in an elementary school and summer vacation is coming up and the gas prices are climbing and I foolishly offered him a trade since I wouldn't have anyplace to to go on a routine basis. Will I ever drive it again once he gets his mitts on it? Actually, if gas prices go up much more, how can I in good conscience keep the Prius to myself while he wastes gas on his commute? I hate being a grownup. I feel much more like a 2-year old when it comes to sharing my car.
    Am I alone in this or is this just because it's the first car I've had that I didn't have to share with teenagers ande others and like it like that.

6. ssmithri

ssmithri New Member

There is really only one solution... do as I did. Buy another Prius!

7. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hello,

I fifth the motion. The only solution which will preserve your sanity and possibly the relationship (I have heard of people breaking up because of toothpaste tubes and the Prius is much more important than that) is to do as was previously suggested and trade in the dub for another Prius.

A new Prius, with all the bells and whistles that you want. It would only be fair, seeing as how you are the one making the grand sacrifice by letting him use your car you should be the one that gets rewarded with the new Prius addition to the family, right?

Now that he has driven yours you will have a hard time prying that fob away from his greedy little fingers. If you need to further convince him. Swap back for a week or so and he will be BEGGING you to go shopping for a Prius of his very own.

Remind him that if cost is an issue, with both of you driving the most fuel efficient hybrid currently available you will be saving cash. Oh, and as he is already environmentally minded (after all he does do the carpool thing as well as using your car to decrease the pollution) it actually makes even more sense for you to be driving a Prius than it does him. As the worst thing that you can do to the environment is start a cold engine.

As your commute is barely enough to warm up the block sufficiantly, your 5 mile drive is fully equivalent to his 30 mile drive as far as the environment is concerned. So... the argument still stands, you need your car back and he needs one of his very own.

Good luck and take care,

Tisza