1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is awesome in the snow!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HanSolo, Feb 6, 2011.

1. HanSolo

HanSolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Had to drive 75 miles this morning to a volleyball tournament. Opened The garage door to see 3 to 4 inches of new snow. On the drive north only one lane had been plowed, and only one time. most cars were doing 45 mph. Because of the Prius' awesome weight distribution and Blizzack tires I was able to pass slower traffic by using the unplowed lane and I was able to maintain between 60 and 75 mph. No complaints about this vehicle in the snow. I love passing Suburus and trucks as we plow forward.

I grew up driving in snow and slush and crap on interstates and back roads so I have some confidence and experience. The main advantage I believe is the tire choice. I'm sure the weight distribution is a large factor also.

The mileage took a huge hit. 33.5 mpg at 65 mph average outside air temperature 23 degrees F.

2. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree completely. The Prius does just fine if the tires are good and the driver knows how to drive in snow. Those who insist on spinning their summer tires on snow will be sorely disappointed in any car. Also agree on the mpg hit, although I'll point out what when I blocked my grill, my winter mileage went up about 10 mpg. I had my first 50 mpg tank last week after grill blocking, and this was at 20 degrees F.

3. HanSolo

HanSolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On dry roads in 20 to 25 outside air temp and 75 mph I've been getting 38 or so indicated mpg. I think plowing through snow and slush cost me 5 mpg. Hopefully the roads will be plowed for the drive home. Only 7 more hours of volleyball. :(

4. Yodeler

Yodeler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with your mileage estimates. I'm currently running studded snows x4 and I am getting about 40mpg - about 8mpg less with the AT tires. Aside from a few TC issues in acceleration, I'm quite happy with the Prius.

5. bshack

bshack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife refuses to drive the Prius in snow and ice conditions. She takes my Tacoma 4x4. I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling while driving in snow and ice either. I think next winter I'll swap the stock Yokohama's for some winter tires though. What tires do ya'll recommend?

6. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As someone who also owns a Prius and a Tacoma, I remind you that 4x4s like to go straight ahead when in 4WD because of the limitations of their transaxles, and hence are prone to going off the road on curves unless you are going slow. The Tacoma 4WD is definitely not AWD. If you are in 2WD in the Tacoma, then the rear spins and you go off the road. Personally, I take the Prius out in snow and leave the Tacoma at home. Front wheel drive vehicles (the Prius) have an inherent advantage over rear wheel drive or even 4WD (Tacoma). The Prius has studded snow tires and is a tank in snow.

Of course, if you are driving on summer tires in snow, then neither vehicle will get it done for you.

7. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was caught out in a snowstorm a couple of years ago, thanks to a bad weather report.
    I had to drive home in a couple of inches of snow before the roads had been cleared or salted. Had no problems with the Integrity OE tires--about 8K miles on them. FWD helps, along with the VSC and traction control. But if I had to drive in snow frequently, I would certainly have snow tires.

8. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, super pleased with ours on snow tires. bought in December and it's been nothing but snow and slush here in Vermont ever since. The Prius is as good (or better) then every other front-wheel drive car (all on snow tires) I've had.

9. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Had that problem a couple of years ago with my Jeep Liberty in 4WD.
    The steering froze when I tried to turn into a parking space in a parking lot. Had to switch to 2WD. With snow tires and traction control, the Prius is probably better, though it lacks the high road clearance of an SUV.

10. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I traded an 06 4runner V8 in on my Prius, and the one thing I really do miss this winter is the ground clearance. I've loudly, scrappily run over a couple of big ice chunks with the Prius... needs a skid plate.

11. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Brilliant

12. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The whole bottom of the car is a giant skid plate...

13. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think that was a misspelling. But the image is priceless: Like a rock skipping across a pond, a Prius skipping down the road...

KBeck

14. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My bad--but it was a fun image!

15. Yodeler

Yodeler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I couldn't agree more. My truck that I traded was decent in the snow, but I'm happily impressed with the Prius. We also have an older VW Jetta and, as long as you drive properly, both front wheel drive vehicles go great in the snow and the studs are helpful on the ice as well. Snows are a must for any winter driving conditions IMO.