1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is dead and too hi-tech for a newbie ... where to start? Is there a checklist?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eBrain, Sep 9, 2011.

1. eBrain

eBrain New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never owned any hybrid. A friend helped me buy 2005 Prius with 87K miles from dealer auction (it has clear title but hail damage all over - windshield cracked and back window broken - did not know what I was getting into since I bought it online seeing pictures)

Car was DEAD when they delivered. Quickly attached jumper cables and gave power from my odyssey till lights came back. I noticed remote light blinks on remote but remote still does not lock/unlock the car

Once I got satisfied there is enough power, I inserted the key in ignition, pressed brake pedal which made some weird sound, and pushed the power button. All sorts of lights popped up in the dash from big ! mark to main display showing car with line in it ... If it was an "ordinary" car it would have given me some sort of indication what was wrong by cranking the motor at least!

I decided to let the car be on jump for 30+ mins, and tried again. I started seeing a weird message saying something like car was not on "flat surface"/in proper "P" gear? but I blamed slight slope in the driveway. Tried again and for a moment I saw "0 mph" on the dash ... gave me an impression as if the car started but since I did not "feel" it so I pushed the power button ... now I am killing myself maybe I should not have as it is not going to that level now ...

Next steps I took, I poured 6 gallons of gas into the tank thinking maybe the tank was empty as fuel gauge keeps blinking after showing 3/4 full for a moment by the way ...

Car icon with vertical line in it sometimes comes and sometimes goes (on top left corner of central display) ...

Can someone put me on the right track? Is not there a checklist? To rule out problems one by one for someone who never owned a Prius? I downloaded the manual but that sounds like useless.

Dont want to tow a car with no plates, dings on roof and shattered glass to a dealership ... Please help a first time poster!

Have started hating this car already as I am clueless ... Why the hell I picked a Prius for $7k in cash when I could have bought a Civic or Corolla for same price ...

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well...

It's pretty much a whole bunch of computers on wheels. Not to mention two distinctly different powertrains. And you're right, it doesn't talk back to us in the way conventional cars do when they're acting up.

I'm far from an expert, but you're describing some things which could potentially indicate serious problems.

When I owned an '06, it was the first time I actually considered purchasing the extended warranty. In my opinion, it's that kind of car. Well made and reliable when it's in good running condition, but requiring some specialized skills and equipment to service when it's not operating correctly.

As far as buying a Civic or Corolla instead, I'm driving a Fit and find the simplicity, low cost and performance very satisfying.

I sure wish you the best; please let us know how it all turns out

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think you mean, "why the hell did I buy a car sight unseen without inspection".

First thing I'd do is pull the 12volt battery and get it load tested at an auto parts store or dealership. I think both it and the hybrid (traction) battery are both drained from sitting too long.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it was a bad decision to buy the Prius in that condition. Unfortunately you'll have to have the car towed to your local Toyota dealer to determine what DTC has been logged. Your car does not have a simple problem.

The icon showing a car with ! means that the hybrid vehicle system has failed. This could be due to a failed traction battery, inverter, transaxle, HV ECU, etc.

5. eBrain

eBrain New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well ... what is bothering me is the hi-tech piece ... should have done research on Prius as I am finding these are not typical Toyota/Honda vehicles easy to fix but more like German cars where technology plays a big role and not everyone is able to understand/replace parts. 12V battery, for example, I cannot buy from anywhere (locally) but have to go to the dealership and pay $200 for it not to mention an hour+ of labor I'll have to put to replace it.

Heading out to buy the battery as older one is not holding a charge for even 10 mins after removing jumper cables ... will let you guys know how it goes!

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a shade-tree mechanic kind of car, as you're discovering.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MSRP on the 12V battery is $138.70, BTW - but as you have found some dealer parts depts are not ashamed to charge more.

Prius and the other Toyota hybrids are quite far from the design found in a typical vehicle. They contain a tremendous amount of technology and it is a small miracle when the car starts up on an everyday basis.

2 people like this.
  8. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hate to say this, but i'm going to. Some people still use VHS, 8 track, Beta and cassette tapes and get confused when the timer is blinking. Lets cut a break here.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the truth...

Is there not a checklist? No, not really. There is no checklist for dealing with a $7000 dollar vehicle you bought sight unseen through an auction.

You admittedly say you "didn't know what you were getting into" and you immediately started guessing as to what you should do. You can't really fix something until you know whats wrong with it...

The Prius is a machine. So whatever problem or series of problems your vehicle might have probably can be discovered and adressed. But given your experience thus far? The real question becomes is this a sacrifice you want to approach and embrace?

Basically you bought an auction Prius, without any knowledge of it's history and/or it's current state. You charged it up...pressed buttons and filled it with gas, and now are disappointed that the vehicle didn't start up and purr like a hybrid kitten?

Since you are already starting to "hate" the vehicle...sound quite overwhelmed and evidently are hesitant to do the very thing I think you must do, which is have it inspected by a qualified techician, I think I might suggest trying to sell the vehicle. Prius are in demand "perhaps" you can get the money you have put into purchase..out of it again.

Then you can buy a vehicle inwhich you feel more comfortable.

But it's all up to you. However it appears that the hail damaged, auction Prius you bought will require more attention than simply charging the battery, filling with gas and pushing the start button.

Exactly what attention, work and sacrifice is near to impossible for anyone to determine who isn't a technician but given electronics and body as well as engine...you could have numerous potential problems.

The first question to answer is do you want to deal with these potential problems?

2 people like this.
  10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's two types of damage to your car. First, the obvious mechanical damage from the hail. The other damage is probably from storing the car too long.

With long term storage, the 12V battery goes bad. You obviously already know that. The traction battery (the 200 volt one behind the back seat) can also become discharged beyond what the car can recover from by itself.

It is unlikely that the rest of the powertrain has any damage. The engine, transmission, brakes, etc. were probably fully protected from hail. Flood damage would be another thing, but it doesn't sound like the case here.

My list of what to do is as follows:

• Get the 12V working.
    • Read the computer codes. Dealer or rent access to Techstream for a few days.
    • May have to have the dealer recharge the HV battery.
    • If the HV battery can't be recharged, then a replacement is in order. Salvage batteries are the cheapest. Dealer wants too much $$$ for new.
    • Gasoline in the tank may have turned to varnish. Clean the entire fuel system.
    • Fix the body. Same deal as any other car.

3 people like this.
  11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Come on, folks. The 12V is dead. There will be no codes. When the 12V is completely dead and gets jumped, weird states happen. 95% chance that a new 12V will fix it. Don't even both trying to charge it.

12. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    either way... for only 7 grand.. that's a steal. you can replace a lot of parts before you get to the 10 - 15 dollar range it usually cost for that year and mileage.

i'll say it's your battery... since it's dead.. and they die so hard... it basically shorts out and drops the voltage of the car too much for the master computers to stay on... so it flickers and such... or you see a few icons but not many.

if you don't have the new battery yet, disconnect the 12v and connect your jumper cables directly to the 12v feeds to the car (skip the battery)... see if it starts... because it should.. you can disconnect it to see if it stays on.. it should stay on. once you shut it off, you have to jump again... i did this for several months with a jump pack on a normal basis. btw... if the feeds touch the dead battery by accident (both terminals i guess) or they short out (+ to anything metal)... the car will turn off immediately. i had that happen once on a very dangerous road... all you're left with is non assisted steering (takes two hands) and friction brakes. you do coast pretty well but you should pull over IMMEDIATLY or you'll risk braking things... expect to hear loud clicking and a very rough stop around 4 or so mph as the parking pin has dropped into place and is waiting to catch...

2 people like this.
  13. eBrain

eBrain New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota of McKinney was asking $201 + Tax for 12v and Toyota of Richardson (TX) said $215 + Tax; there was $30 off coupon on their website so I bought the battery for $200+ change and replaced it moments ago

No luck getting anywhere but got enough time to play around and take some pictures via diagnostics menu and the dashboard for group to see if there is something I can do before taking it to the dealership but I have not made 5 posts to the forum yet and not allowed to insert links

Some of you did not like my decision of buying car without seeing it from auction but given my circumstances it was the best decision I make and now trying to fix the problem ... maybe little frustrated because I'll have to go back to rental cars but there is some buffer ... and hopefully issues will be fixed within next $1k ...

If group feels dealership is the only option I'll take it to the dealership no problem but you know how consumers feel about it :(

14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It doesn't have to be a dealer, but the shop has to have a Techstream scantool or equivalent. One of the things you need to check is the individual battery module voltages in the HV battery. Techstream can do it, while most scantools can't see the individual computers in a Toyota. Call up various shops that offer Toyota service.

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    throw in a few blank post and then share some photos.

we love photos... codes too...

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    eBrain, I'm sorry I didn't jump in yesterday when I first saw this thread. I was wrapped up in other things. Had I gotten in earlier, I would have said something along the lines of "what a bunch of pompous, unhelpful snobs jumping all over a guy who chose to buy a car! Rather than answers to your request for help, I've seen little more than insults to your sanity and posts that seem to do little more than promote their superiority. For this, I apologize; PriusChat is not about this type of behavior and I certainly hope it ends soon.

Now, I'm just an enthusiast and certainly not a gearhead techie who can diagnose all your problems but let me try to provide what little insight I can in hopes of getting the "Let's Help eBrain" ball rolling.

Haha. I know what you mean, but some of us actually enjoy the fact that the Prius doesn't "crank" when you start it. You are going to get the dashboard warning lights, no doubt. What you can try is to perform a start-up/shut-down cycle multiple times. I'm not making any promises here but sometimes this will clear lingering codes.

The "flat surface in [P] gear" message is a really stupid way of saying that your driver's door was open and the car was in [D] gear. As I type that I have to wonder how the car was in [D]. Though perhaps they use that silly message for other things as well. I want to to say that I've seen that message before (and I've drained my 12v a couple times). It resolved itself with no issues.

:confused: I'd have to see a picture of that.

Once you get it up and running, you'll love it. Besides, every good movie has that point when the protagonist is getting his nice person kicked. That's what makes the victory so much more sweet. Unless there's something going on that wasn't reported, these issues are relatively minor and fixable. As Cobra said, you got a 7 grand Prius that should only take a few grand to fix up. That's a heck of a steal.

Right now I think you're biggest obstacle is that you don't know what a "normal" Prius sounds like and how one behaves in order to know what sounds and behaviors are abnormal. For example, when you press on the brake, the Prius initiates pumps and motors. That's what it does. When you open the drier's door of a normal Prius, the same thing happens: it basically "wakes up" and gets ready to be driven. There are many threads around here asking what all those noises are. Unfortunately, you're at a disadvantage trying to troubleshoot even the normal noises.

Seriously, though, make same lame posts to get your post count up to 5 and then you can add pictures. (This is an anti-spam/anti-troll feature we implemented a few years back when people would join and post offensive pictures.)

1 person likes this.
  17. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmm...

Can you walk us through what you see and hear? So you put in a new 12V, foot on the brake (and hear a quick ratchet/grind noise), press Power, the car won't actually start at this point because 12V power was interrupted. You need to keep your foot on the brake and push Power again.

Do you have the Big Red Triangle? Does the engine crank at all?

If the engine didn't turn over at all, check to see if someone at the sale lot removed the orange HV battery service plug. They may have done that since the hatch glass was broken. You need to remove the back carpet, then the big folding floorboard, then the big black tray, in order to see it in the driver's side corner. I don't have a picture of that with the battery in the car but this is what it should look like when properly installed.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi eBrain. If you get it to ready mode then check the MFD (multifunction display) straight away to get the SOC (state of charge) of the main traction battery.

Once you get "ready" try to get the engine started as soon as possible and (with the transmission in park) let it get some charge onto the main battery.

Pissing around with a flat 12V auxiliary battery was probably a bad thing to do, because the whole time the main traction battery is trying to charge the small battery and losing power in the process.

The state of charge should look something like in the attachment. Six blue bars is ideal, but any bars at all on this display will be a good thing to see in your situation.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  19. eBrain

eBrain New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys! I am uploading pictures as of last night. Wish I had turned smark key off. I am going to do it right away so that it stops draining 12v I have just put in last night. I am going to make one more (fake post) and then link the pics.

@uart: I got 2 and then 1 bar last night (shown in pics in link below). Have not attempted anything this morning. I'll wait for some feedback from forum after you guys have seen the pics.

20. eBrain

eBrain New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One more post to reach 5 so bear with me ...