1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is hurt... Recommendations for NYC area repair shops?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by justlurkin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Priuschat,

This winter has not been kind to my '07 Prius. We had over 50 inches of snow here in NYC over the past 2 months, and driving conditions have been perilous.

In the past two weeks, on two separate occasions in snow- and ice-covered parking lots (the Path Mark Mall off the Whitestone Expressway here in Queens NYC), someone dinged my poor Prius while I was food shopping.

On the first incident I came out of the supermarket to find someone has left a huge bumper scratch on my right side rear passenger door with slight denting of the sheet metal.

The second time, someone apparently backed into the front of my Prius and left an inch of the front of my hood (just below the Toyota emblem) crumpled. The silver grille piece just under the hood cover feels loose, and there are scratches on my front bumper just below the silver grille piece, though the front bumper piece has not been dislodged in the bump.

My Prius has been really good to me for the past 4 years and I want to get it fixed up.

Obviously I don't want to go to the dealer (where I'm sure I will be royally ripped off), but at the same time I don't want to entrust my Prius to some shop that doesn't know what they are doing and end up causing more problems. Can anyone here recommend a good NYC-area repair shop that will take good care of my Prius? Also what would a fair price be for repairing those two damaged areas?

Thanks for any help!

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any good body shop can handle it for you! Have you checked to see if your insurance will cover the dings? Your deductible may be more than the actual repair, but check things out. Probably a body shop estimate will get you going. Good luck, Hal

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your dealership is typical they will not do bodywork: they'll sub-contract to a dedicated body shop, or two. It wouldn't hurt to ask them who they recommend/use.