1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is powering my house

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by paulccullen, Dec 16, 2006.

1. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    After the huge storm blew through the area, we're into the second day of no power (or phone, internet or cellphone coverage) here in the north end of Seattle. But with a 1kW inverter in my Prius, I can power the refrigerator and a couple of lights. :D (plus we have a wood stove for heat and cooking)

There has been no noticeable drop on the gas gauge. The Prius turns itself on periodically for a minute or so to recharge the batteries. Much quieter and more efficient than a generator. (I did notice that I'd dropped to 31 MPG when I went for a drive today)

I have to use the little manual key on the fob to lock/unlock the car (the car won't let you lock it electronically from the outside if it's running).

-- a friend's house who also as no power, but does have phone. Man, dial-up is slow! :(

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Dec 16 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]363152[/snapback]</div>
    Paul,

That just rocks! I hadn't ever thought of a Prius being used in this way. And, anyone, what is this 1kw inverter? Is this something I can buy at a hardware store? Seems like a great thing to have around in case of emergencies. Although to use this method in Chicago, I'd need to get a boot to put on the car to keep it from being stolen. :huh: --Scott

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How many of your neighbors and friends have noticed that your Prius is providing you power?

Just another Prius perk.

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

A 1 Kw inverter is a 1000 watt inverter. You can get them at Costco sometimes, maybe even at Costco.com all the time. I picked one up to use with my 75 watt solar panel that I use to power my rechargeable cordless lawn equipment.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...browse=&s=1

When I got mine, it was $80.00.

In an emergency, I could connect it to my Prius, but I would like to one day put it in there full time.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The Prius in 'ready mode' can deliver up to 100 amps to its 12 volt system. This is where most people connect outboard inverters. The low-priced ($60 - $160) options provide 'modified sine wave' power. Some motors and switching power supplies are offended by this power. Pure sine wave invters in the 1 kilowatt class can be found for $350 or higher, and they provide a waveform just as nice as the (sometimes absent) power companies do.

A Prius with a full fuel tank will deliver 2 to 7 days of electricity thus; sorry, the definitive data have not yet been published. Certainly it is quet and low-emission, compared to standalone portable electrical generators.

If you use a large inverter, protecting the Prius' electrical system with a separate fuse is very important; how to do this may have already been covered in a Priuschat thread. It is not difficult to add this capability to your Prius, and it will provide benefits in emergency situations as described here.

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  7. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 16 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]363169[/snapback]</div>
    I got it from InvertersRus (http://www.invertersrus.com/). It was the 1250w model which currently sells for $121. It's mounted in the compartment above the spare tire and connected it to the 12v battery. I've had it in the car for a year now, and I've finally put it to good use.

You mention the risk of the car getting stolen. You can still lock it if it's running, but you have to use the little manual key on the fob.

P.S. Came home tonight and the power, cable, internet and phone were all back on. It was a fun two days, but I'm glad to have everything working again. :D

8. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Dec 16 2006, 11:45 AM) [snapback]363177[/snapback]</div>
    Quite a few. A UPS delivery person made a delivery today, saw that we had lights and asked if we had a generator. I said: Nope, just a Prius. And pointed to the car sitting silently in the driveway with the cord coming out the back. She was pretty impressed.

I must confess that I was offended by the noise (and exhaust) pollution created by the generators in the neighborhood.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well done!

BTW, Doug has a nice inverter setup too. We are both using the same corner of the trunk in our NHW11 model Prius. Doug also has a nice diode protected, backup battery setup.

One thing not mentioned is inrush loads. Some equipment, TV and laptop power supplies, have a significant inrush that can trip the overload circuit in the inverter. To solve the problem, I'm mounting some inrush thermistors in a 'pig-tail' outlet.

Bob Wilson

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Dec 16 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]363330[/snapback]</div>
    That's so cool. I'm surprised at how inexpensive the inverter is. I'm going to have to look into that myself, although we've only rarely had power outages that last more than a few hours in Cheney. I saw in "The Olympian" this a.m. That there are still 48,000 homes still without power. I don't know if that's just the Seattle area, or Olympia or over the whole west side of the state. I didn't read the article, just the headlines.

Most of the street lights were out as I came into Olympia yesterday afternoon.

Dave M.

11. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Just curious. Has anyone tried a configuration using the high voltage battery vs. the 12volt to get to 110VAC?

12. crichman

crichman Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Dec 17 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]363458[/snapback]</div>
    Yes indeed. See Richard Factor's fabulous site documenting how he did it at priups.com. With a little help from him, I have too.

Charlie

13. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wanted to do something like what they did at priups.com but I'll be damed if I can find any actual info. on how to do it, seems like just a bunch of talking about the concept of doing it.

Crichman do you have the little house on the Prius screen when plugged in?

Viro

14. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does the car sense when the 12v battery is drawn down and then starts to charge it? I thought that was only for the HV battery. If this is true, the inverter is a must have mod!

15. islanderfan

islanderfan Junior Member

Back around Thanksgiving, when St. Louis got hit with the ice/snow storm, my sons were without power for a week :angry: . My wife and I, with our 2005 prius happened to be visiting. hooked up a cheap 750W invertor to the prius and powered their pellet stove for heat, tv, stereo and a couple of lamps. Worked like a champ. Used less than 3 gallons a day (much more efficient than the generator I have at home in Kansas).

16. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RBW111 @ Dec 19 2006, 11:44 AM) [snapback]364254[/snapback]</div>
    The 12v battery is maintained by the HV battery since the Prius has no 12v generator or alternator. The ice will only come on to charge the HV battery. Some have found that this system (Prius+ Inverter) can run for several days on a tank of gas.

17. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What size of an inverter would you need to keep a refrig and maybe the fan on a furnace going? Like a 2000w plus?

Viro

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Virodeath, a fridge is a difficult starting load and a whole-house fan can be also, if its motor is large. Prius will not support simply larger & larger inverters; there are only 100 amps @ 13.8 volts available, then something expensive is going to happen. Without knowing more about your equipment, I do doubt that you can run it all from the car.

The most capable inverters are 'pure sine wave' which cost about 3.5x as much as 'modified sine wave". Pure SW do much better with these inductive loads, but I have not read of anyone using them yet in Prius.

All who add large inverters are urged to add additional fuse protection to 'sacrifice' before the main Prius 100 amp fuse blows. It would render your car inoperative until a non-trivial fuse replacement.

Of course, PriUPS leapfrogs over this limitation, but that is a big job in itself.

19. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

During the power outage here after a huricane I was able to power our refrigerator (Energy Star model) with an APC Smart UPS 750xl. I was able to use it for awhile to keep the refrigerator cool, then take it to my in-law's house to get it recharged, then back to our house for another run on the refrigerator. I tried to use it at my mom's house which was without power too, but her older model refrigerator pulled too much and I couldn't use it. So that was another benefit of the Energy Star model.

I've wondered if I couldn't recharge the Smart UPS with a small inverter through the lighter, but I didn't want to try it until I knew it would work. No sense in blowing fuses.

20. crichman

crichman Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Virodeath @ Dec 19 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]364197[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, no icons.

This is the entry to the part of his site that I found particularly useful: http://priups.com/misc/bonus-15mar06.htm

My little bit can be found here: http://priups.com/others/index.html

In brief, the Prius traction battery powers a pair of modified 48v power supplies, which together run an HP/Compaq R3000XR UPS in lieu of the regular internal battery pack. With the addition of some big capacitors to help handle surge loads on those supplies, I can run my fridge and my furnace fan from that UPS. (Without them, the fridge alone sometimes drew too much current from the 48v supplies and made the UPS drop out.) Computer UPSs aren't the best match to motor startup loads, so be aware that you probably won't be able to run them at their full nameplate capacity.

You do have to remember to have the car in ready mode, so the ICE can cycle on as needed to keep the traction battery charged. Locking the car with the mechanical key seems a good idea when you do.

Charlie