1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is probably totalled :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by YoDaddyAlex, Dec 24, 2006.

1. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I pulled out to make a left turn on a green light that was green for 5-10 seconds, and this older woman in an Infinity SUV decided to blow the red light and plowed right into the front left. Goodbye Prius. I haven't even had you for a week. Heres to hoping the insurance company somehow gives me enough to finance a new one without any out of pocket expenses.

And its not for sure totalled, everyone is closed today and tomorrow of course. but the whole frame is bent and you cant even open up the passenger side doors

Attached Files:

2. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 24 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]366303[/snapback]</div>
    Your brand new car .. That's got to be totally heartbreaking. I feel really bad for you. Hope your insurance covers ALL your costs.

3. 04priussaxman

04priussaxman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 24 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]366303[/snapback]</div>
    Steve at www.autobeyours.com could fix your car with no problems at all. i would let your insurance company know about him because he could probably fix it more cheaply than anyone.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like SUVbitch just bought you a new Prius.

5. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry for your loss. I trust no one was hurt since you didn't mention it. It may be a PITA to go though this but if everyone came out of it ok.....thats what's important. I would hope, with a new Prius, the insurance co should be providing a new replacement and you won't have to settle for less.

6. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yeah nobody was hurt, thankfully. im just worried the insurance company will screw me and try to just pay for the cost of the car, not counting my downpayment, interest, extended warranty, etc. this is my first accident ever, ive been driving for 10 years. not sure how to handle it. anyone with experience? I have AAA insurance.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the driver of the other car actually ran a red light and there were no other circumstances that could put any of the blame on you, then her insurance should pay 100% of the cost of getting you into a new Prius.

If an accident is your own fault and you are asking your insurance company to make good the cost, it's reasonable for them to go with the lowest-cost alternative, which often is repair. But if an accident is the other driver's fault, and there is any possibility of unrepairable damage, such as a bent frame or damaged suspension issues, then there is no excuse fo them to do less than 100% full recovery, and with a one-week-old car, I'd say that means a brand-new car, plus money for the inconvenience and the emotional turmoil and a free rental until your new car arrives, plus the difference in the cost of gas while you are driving the rental if it's not a Prius.

Good luck.

8. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thanks for the info, I hope it works out that way. it is 110% her fault. she even admitted on the phone with my insurance company when I filed a claim that she tried to beat the light, and ran it when it turned red. i pulled out into the intersection a few seconds after it turned green for me, and as I pulled out to make a left turn, she came flying right at me. by the time my friend and I both said "shes not gonna stop!" it was too late. she didnt even try to swerve, just straight on. one quick turn to the left and she wouldnt have even hit me. the prius' engine compartment is not long at all. oh well. not even a week new and its gone! I do hope they pay for everything and I get the exact same car, I am in love with the Prius!!

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very sorry about your Prius. From the photos it doesn't look like the air bags deployed? Sometime that is a major determining factor in rather the car is totaled or not. If the car is not totaled be sure to do a bit of research and pick the best body shop around, a really good body shop should be able to make it like new again. You should be allowed to choose the shop you want.

If the insurance company declares it totaled they will most likely make you a really low offer, this is just how they do business because most people take the low offer and don't say anything. But it is negotiable and you should be able to get them up to a reasonable replacement cost. Or in your case maybe even a new car. I suspect you will need to be a bit assertive and make sure they understand everything you expect to get.

Be sure to keep us up to date on how this works out for you, it's the kind of thing that could happen to any of us.

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Man oh man, that looks like it really hurts.........(your car, i mean).. I'm glad you weren't hurt badly. Look on the bright side, a SUVbitch buys you a new Prius for Xmas!!!!! :lol: :lol:

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YoDaddyAlex,

Not only do I hope you get a new Prius without spending a penny of your own money, I hope the ideas at PC on options, etc will make it even better!

The probably cause of my CRX's demise in 2000 was a distracted cell phone driver. A week into my Insight....a Lexus driver on the phone almost swipes me!

12. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree that the insurance for the at-fault party should pay everything. Your insurance company should go to bat and recover every dollar from them.

With a week-old bill-of-sale in hand, you can lean on AAA to get them to do the right thing.

PS: I always look both ways before pulling out from a stoplight. I've seen too many close calls. This precaution is especially necessary at home, because our side roads cross Highway 1, where cars are moving at 50mph or better.

13. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the airbags did not deploy, it wasnt that hard of a hit, that stupid SUV is like a tank though, took the left side off and bended everything. I don't see how that could be fixed up, a new hybrid motor for sure, and who knows what electrical daemons will come if someone is able to fix it.

The only problem with my insurance is that the lady has AAA as well... I wonder how that will work, do you think they would do everything possible to give me as little as possible knowing in the end they will pay for it themselves?

I expect a brand new car, 2007 metallic, extended warranty, lo-jack, even free window tint since I paid for that out of pocket wednesday. But I am worried it will take a while to fight my own insurance company to pay for everything and me finally getting back to the place I was before. I never even made ONE payment on her yet!

and about looking both ways, I agree. the problem is this parking lot was right out of a recreation center, just got done playing basketball, and I had to pull out just to see anything coming from the opposite direction, because there is a big median blocking my view of the left side when I have a green to turn left. Once I pulled out, my friend and I noticed her headlights at night and by the time we both said "she isnt stopping" it was too late, I still cannot believe she didnt try to swerve, just total panicking on her part. I was barely out in the street when she hit me. I feel bad, she was real nice, and glad she didnt hurt anyone, what a gift she is going to get after this is over insurance wise. Oh well.

15. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 24 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]366389[/snapback]</div>
    It's very possible. But stand your ground and insist they replace the car. Kick the issue higher in the organization as necessary. We're all crossing our fingers for you.

And that is what you pay AAA to insure, so there should be no argument there.

Oh, well, you were trying, but sometimes circumstances just make it impossible to succeed.

Yup. Unfortunatly, many people will slam brakes and just slide right into the crash. Nobody thinks to steer. When I flew light planes, we were taught to "Fly the airplane as far into the crash as possible." That means not becoming a passenger while the vehicle is still in motion.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The worst-case scenario might be that the insurance company tries to pay you Blue Book, which for a one-week old car is way below the new price, though with a Prius maybe not so far below. Don't accept anything less than complete replacement of an identical car.

17. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just a thought. If you find out that the insurance co will total it, maybe it will be in time to cancel the extended warranty and get a full refund. You may have 30 days to cancel, have to read the fine print. Also, if they insist on repairing it, it may make it hard to collect on any extended warranty, even normal warranty, because Toyoyta may blame any problem you have on the accident. Another reason to make them replace it.

18. juliem

juliem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ouch! Be grateful you're okay -- like others have said, that's most important.

If she's admitted fault, there can't and won't be any repercussions for you. Your insurance shouldn't change at all. Hers on the other hand, will double or triple, depending on the amount of cash that AAA will have to pay out for the vehicles. She may not be able to afford the gas for that SUV anymore... :p .

I was in a pretty bad accident (3 cars totaled, including my 7 month old PT Cruiser) nearly 5 years ago that was deemed my fault, for the most part. I've got to say that my small mom-n-pop insurance experience was pretty positive; sadly, they got bought out a couple years after the accident, and I switched companies b/c they laid off all the great people that helped me through my accident stuff. So based on my limited experience, I would guess that most companies pay in a respectable amount of time; I had a check in hand about 3-4 weeks after the accident. You may be in a rental for a few weeks, which her insurance should pay for (as well as any medical/health/hospital bills you may have). But you should be cruising around in a newer Prius soon enough. Good luck, and don't stress too much about it. Since she's admitted fault, you should have it pretty easy.

19. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear the sad loss. You might peruse your policy and find if your comp policy covers you for a new replacement cost. If you financed it, you most likely were required to carry comp to cover the lien holder. I actually think it doesn't matter whose at fault either. That's comp for you. plus the rider is usually thrown in for the new car replacemnet for the 1st few monthes, sometimes six.
    good luck !!

20. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yups @ Dec 24 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]366443[/snapback]</div>
    When I financed my Prius through a local credit unit, they provided the option (and I took it), of an added insurance that covered whatever my regular insurance company wouldn't cover to purchase a new car in the event it was in an accident totaling the car.

Dave M.