1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my prius is so oddd....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kdailey356, Oct 19, 2007.

1. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

fast. I floor it about 45 percent of acceleration but im currently managing 44.9 miles per gallon. I personally thought that was good, but everytime i fill up at about two or three bars, it says i've gone 315-345 miles and it takes about 8 gallons. I usually fill my prius up every two or three days --18-22.00-- and have about 21,000 miles on it. I'm thinking about getting rid of it because my 328xi gets about 32.5 hwy and 25 city... but im just wondering what is wrong with this

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Oct 19 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]527901[/snapback]</div>
    Need more exact data, then 315-345 miles and "about 8 gallons" (among other things).

Using 7.692 gallons (which is "about" 8 gallons) and 345 miles, I compute 44.9 MPG. That's what you were expecting right?

For a more accurate picture, keep a pen in your car and hang on to your receipts for the next 4 or 5 fill ups. Write the odometer reading on top of the receipt immediately after each fill up. Then after 5 or so fill ups, add up all the gallons from all the receipts for total fuel usage and take the difference between odometer reading on the first and last receipt for miles traveled. Some quick division and you might find that you are getting pretty close to 45 MPG.

If you want to improve your fuel efficiency. . . .

If you have a LOT of short trips, I'd suggest either trying to get them all in at once, or trying an EBH.

The colder your average daily temperature, and the more oppurtunity you have to plug it in, the more you might want to consider an EBH.

If you are driving at 95 MPH, I'd suggest keeping it a bit closer to the speed limit.

If you are driving near the speed limit and your trips are generally greater than 15 minutes, I'd suggest leaving a bit more room between you and the car in front of you, watching for traffic stops ahead and getting off the accelerator and on the brake a bit sooner.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, of course, sell it as soon as possible, or just leave it on the street unlocked. 30 MPG is *much* better than 45.

4. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why do you floor it? Why not take it easy. If you want to go fast, ur in the wrong car. I have my vette for that and my Harley.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 20 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]528219[/snapback]</div>
    Disregard last response, i see from ur profile u are a child...Be carteful or I'll tell mommy and daddy on you.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Combined your BMW should get mid to high 20s MPG. That is nowhere near 45mpg.

If all you care about is driving fast, then ditch the BMW and get a C5 Corvette. Same milage as your BMW but it will easily out-handle and look better than the BMW. Ohh wait, apples to apple right? ;)

In all seriousness, I fail to see your point. Are you saying that since you like to drive your Prius fast that you want to get rid of it because your BMW gets almost half as good MPG but if faster? Is gas milage your only criteria? The emissions output of your BMW is quite scary compared to the Prius and you should be concerned with that aspect of car ownership, or at least I would hope you care. :)

6. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

well i have 20,000 miles, and with me being at college now, im not driving as much as i used too..and when i do drive it's usually freeway driving--- i would rather be in a much more comfortable driver seat, less-fatiguing view, and having a more solid feeling car as well as more features **and it has all wheel drive. The 44.9 is on the highway but i usually get 42 in the city. I have no complaint of my mileage and if people are thinking that im getting rid of my car because of poor mileage it is ridiculous, i think the prius is great but it's not really summing up to be practical to travel long distances for a 6'3 person.

AS FAR AS EMISSIONS.
    bmw has an envirmentally friendly factor and we have terrapass on all of our cars..

7. snakeman

snakeman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Oct 20 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]528327[/snapback]</div>
    Well, 6'3" is pretty darn tall. Unfortunately, that's about all I can understand from your post above.

When you say "I would rather be in a much more comfortable driver seat...." do you mean that the Prius is an uncomfortable seat for you or that you find it more comfortable than your BMW?

Second, how are you only gettting 44.9MPG on the highways? I drive regularly on 93, 128, and 495. If I set the cruise control to 69 or 70 MPH I can routinely get 50-55MPG during 100+ mile round trips. If you're driving significantly faster than that, slow the heck down and keep the roads safer for all of us.

Third, it sounded like, from your original post, that you were dissatisfied with the gas mileage of your Pruis since you talked about the mileage and filling it up. If that is not what you are concerned with, what is? Is the complaint that the gas tank is too small and thus you have to fill up the 10-gallon tank more often than if it was the same car with a 20-gallon tank?

Fourth, why the heck do you need two cars anyway? If you like one over the other, keep one and get rid of the other. It's not as if they're even two different classes of car like having a Prius for every day driving and a pickup truck for runs to Home Depot or something.

Last, what is "an environmentally friendly factor"?

8. snakeman

snakeman New Member

oops, double post. :eek:

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Oct 19 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]527901[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure what year your 328xi is but if it's an 07, I doubt you're getting those mileage figures. Are those from a (potentially inaccurate) trip computer or from actual calculations? Per http://www.fueleconomy.gov, a manual 07 328xi has old method EPA ratings of 19/28 and new ratings of 17/26.

10. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you might want to spend some time in the fuel economy forum and pick up some tips...
    the big one- TIRE PRESSURE! it makes a world of difference. also gasoline- keep away from ethanol added brands!

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just baffled as to what is actually being asked...or stated. Is this just a random thought being shared?

If adjusting your driving style to something somewhat less juvenile isn't an option and the Prius isn't adequate then sell the Prius.
    If the Prius isn't comfortable enough for you...then sell it.
    If fuel economy isn't an issue for you then sell it.

If, however, you can see the wisdom of slowing down and deriving pleasure from extracting the maximum performance in the form of fuel economy out of the Prius and you care about reducing emissions (terrapass schmerapass) and can see that gas prices will only be going up. And that reducing fossil fuel use is good for the planet, good for our troops, and bad for the Middle East and Venezuela then keep the Prius, be a bit smug about being more emotionally mature than your fellow students part ways with the BMW (which I also doubt gets anywhere near the numbers you claim if driven like you say).

12. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Man, I'm glad I'm only 6'2. My seat fits me fine. Geeesh! that was close.

13. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hoop @ Oct 21 2007, 06:57 AM) [snapback]528408[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: Too funny Hoop..... I needed a good laugh this Sunday morning!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey maybe the OP has the model which hasn't got an adjustable seat back?
    I'll stop now for fear of repeating what others have already written.

15. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

i was complaining about the small gast tank... it's really annoying to fill it up so much. and i really do usually get 31-32.5 on the highway in the bmw, i usually dont floor it because i dont have to use 100 percent of the engines power getting on the highway or going from stops. also the bmw doesnt give me knee aches. i really looked into the nissan altima hybrid because it had a very smart interior design and an amazing driving position, plus a 20 gallon fuel tank, but the mileage was 34 from many people and tests so i think im just going to keep the bmw for a bit. at our house we have alot alot alotttt of cars so im just wondering if i should keep the prius for a bit and let my dad/whoever wants to use it. going from the prius to the 328 isnt really that big of a change environmentally.. it has the same air pollution score as the honda fit. also, when im on the highway i go around 70-75. i can never use cruise control though, i hate it, though i know that will give me better mileage.

also, sorry about the lack of pronounciation. keyboard is broken
    **also, bmw is an environmentally friendly factory...

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hoop @ Oct 21 2007, 03:57 AM) [snapback]528408[/snapback]</div>
    I'm 6'3" and have no problems at all with the Prius. Then again..... I'm built like a swizzle stick! See the NWS pic. Hahaha

For the OP. I stand corrected, the BMW 328 is better than I thought in terms of "pollution scoring" yet it still puts out over twice the amount of green-house gases that a Prius does. In the grand scheme of things it sounds like your family's ecological footprint is way higher than a simple car choice can remedy. :(

17. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi CapeCod...

Are you flooring the Prius just to hear the engine? Try a half throttle accelleration. Its almost as quick at half throttle, quieter, and can be quicker if you avoid triggering the traction control. Maybe you think the jerk of the BMW 328 Shifting is power and accelleration? Its not. Its anti-accelleration. In fact German car manufacturers are trying to get rid of the jerky accelleration with the dual clutch automated gear boxes. I have been in a Golf with one of these, and the jerk is barely notiable, about the same as a ruff Prius engine cuttout. Next time you are on an jet taking off down a runway, feel yourself pressed into the seat? That is the accelleration of tens of thousands of horse power. And there is none of this noise and jerking going on.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Oct 21 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]528437[/snapback]</div>
    Again, how are you getting this "31 to 32.5" mpg? Is this from a trip computer or through manual calculations of a large enough fill up (say at least 10 gallons)?

As for "going from the prius to the 328 isnt really that big of a change environmentally", go lookup the cars again at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm. MA is a CARB emissions state. (Again, I don't know the model year of your 328xi) but a CARB state 2007 328xi gets an EPA air pollution score of 7 vs. 9.5 for a Prius. You can look up what the limits mean at http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/detailedchart.pdf.

The air pollution score doesn't take into account greenhouse gas emissions. The Prius is estimated to emit 4.0 tons/year of GHG. A manual 07 328xi is estimated to emit 9.2 tons/year. 2.3x the greenhouse gasses is a HUGE change in my book.

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, I still don't know what you want from us.
    My opinion is that you should do your best to save the world and leave your childish ways behind you.
    Ditch the BMW, keep the Prius and learn to drive it sensibly. My last tank I got 619 miles...I've never had any other car that I could get over about 350 miles on a tank of gas. So the 'filling up so often' thing I don't understand. I probably will only fill once, maybe twice this month.

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm squarely with Evan on this one... I haven't a clue what's being asked.