1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius just started showing a ton of warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by teamuptom, May 31, 2022.

1. teamuptom

teamuptom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just cleaned out my 2005 Prius and when I had finished the car battery had died, so I charged it with a smart car battery charger, and when I turned it on there is now a ton of warning lights that have popped up, and I do not know what to do. I have linked a picture of all the lights that come on after you start it. It did not have any lights before this happened. Anything helps.

Attached Files:

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. I've had it happen several times, when the 12V has been disconnected and reconnected, it will show several trouble lights when first started. But they go away when I shut it off and start it again so my first thought is that they are false alarms. Have you done this?

If they don't go away after a two or three restarts, then you can try clearing them by disconnecting the battery for a minute or so. If that doesn't clear things up, then you need to use a code reader to see what the trouble is.

3. teamuptom

teamuptom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here’s the weird part, the car works perfectly fine. In fact i’ve been driving around the past few days even with all those lights up there and it still works fine. I’ve restarted it a couple times and did the same thing with the battery and that did not help at all.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe you want to consider having the car checked to see WHY it keeps turning all those lights on. Some of them are likely there because having a fault in one system (in the HV battery ecu for example) will make others (the hybrid control and ABS ecu's) set codes that say "hey, the (battery) ecu says it has a problem, you should go look there". Not every fault will have an immediately noticeable effect on vehicle operation, but you don't know what's going on - until you find out.

You would need access to a scantool that can read ALL the ecu's on a Prius. Many " budget" tools can only talk to common ecu's like engine, ABS, airbag etc. Either a shop with a high end scantool (snapon or autel), Toyota Techstream. Or a DIY device and app -Autel Maxi AP200 (or ThinkDiag -more $ but more functions) - there's a sticky thread about apps at the top of the Gen2 Technical Discussion board.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds familiar. This last Sat. my 2005, same thing. I went to O'Reilly's and autozone to diagnose. Zero. Then, Tuesday went to my mechanic. The P0A80 and P3000 codes showed up. Now what. I'm about to drive X country!?? Virginia to Wa State. My baby has 250 k. and has been amazing. The greentec battery didn't last 40 k, put in by the last, one owner car, guy. Suddenly, I'm worried? 3000 to do a full put in a brand new battery. Should I??? Anyone out there have any thoughts. I've been reading this forum, but only just now joined. I'll try to post a 'regular' post and not just jump in. But, what a similar potential battery issue.

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then your car has problems that need to be diagnosed and fixed. It starts with:
    Right!

You will not make it very far with a P0A80. Maybe to PA if you're lucky. If you have a nearby hybrid shop, a lightly used battery from a totaled car is a cheaper option. Or get the kit from @2k1Toaster for about $1,600 and DIY. Or buy a new battery over the counter and DIY.

7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    #7 alftoy, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  8. teamuptom

teamuptom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hybrid battery just got replaced about 2 months ago so I do not think it is the hybrid battery

9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll bet it was a rebuilt one. Those rarely last more than a few months. If you have a P0A80, then you have a failed hybrid battery. That code is how it is diagnosed. You should also find other codes that tell which block or blocks are the problem.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe this is your main problem, rather an additional one, but the fact your 12 V battery was dragged down to the point where it can no longer start the car, makes me suspect the 12 V battery is in very poor health. Charging it, as you did, is a good first step and since then, have to check the voltage to see how it is holding up? Next, you need to do a load test which will cut to the chase pretty quick. If the battery tests as no good, then your first order of business should be to replace it regardless of any other problems you have. Otherwise, you could spend a lot of time chasing your tail and will not help you when diagnosing other things like hybrid battery issues.

Good luck. ;):)(y)

#10 dolj, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.