1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My prius was stolen.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MarytheR6, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarytheR6

MarytheR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello everyone. I really need some help.

My family went on Vacation out of the country for 2 weeks. In that time someone stole my mom's 2012 Toyota Prius in central Florida. She had it insured by all state but she pays monthly and during the time we were out she missed the date for the payment and they cancelled her policy. So they aren't going to cover it at all.

Any ideas what we can do from here? Anything is greatly appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with the state insurance commissioner, there should be a grace period. all the best.(y)

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Something is not adding up. You went for 2 weeks and it takes more than that amount of time to cancel a policy.

If your insurance is indeed cancelled, then you are out of luck. If you owe money on the car, I would think someone will come looking for you.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, check with the state insurance commissioner. My agent has indicated a grace period of longer than two weeks, but then I pay on 6 month intervals, not every month.

Is there any evidence to show when the car was stolen, in comparison to when the policy was cancelled?

5. MarytheR6

MarytheR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not sure entirely sure as I do not know the arrangement that she has with the insurance company and I dare not try to trouble her with the details now while she is in shock and despair. But I will let her know about the grace period! So far from my understanding she got a letter in the mail that her payment was due but of course she was not here to receive it.

Also could anyone tell me how exactly the car could have been stolen? I thought that hybrids could not be hot wired?

This is what I believe. Maybe the insurance company is just trying to get out of covering it since she missed the payment while she is in deed still covered. I don't know all the details and what not since its not my policy or vehicle. But I have heard of insurance companies just flat out refusing to pay for theft typically because of they get sued they will just have to pay what they would normally have anyways. So they don't lose anything by denying the claim and poor people would not be able to afford a lawyer to fight.

#5 MarytheR6, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a few possibilities. where does she keep her fobs?

7. MarytheR6

MarytheR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you!

She keeps both of them in the house where all of our keys are located.

#7 MarytheR6, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can't find anything quickly for Florida or Allstate but here's the answer for Pennsylvania:
    1. My automobile policy was canceled because I did not pay my premium on time. Is this legal?
    Yes. If your insurance company does not receive your premium payment by the due date, the company is permitted to cancel your policy for non payment. Pennsylvania law does not require companies to extend a grace period for premium payments.

Are the company's cancellation policies stated in the monthly bill? If not, the agent should have an answer. I know for some of the medical insurances if the premium isn't paid on time the policy is cancelled.

9. MarytheR6

MarytheR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I will try to get in touch with her and ask! I'll keep you guys updated once I get more info on their policy once I hear from her.

Thank you everyone for the help. Here in Florida it is next to impossible to get around without a car, especially with her job that requires her to be on the road all day. I'm really praying it is recovered or the insurance covers it. Thieves are really some terrible people...

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do beware that grace period policies may vary widely, and may also depend on how longer the customer has been with that business. Where grace periods exists, customers paying monthly have likely to have far shorter periods than customers paying yearly.

Tow trucker drivers don't need to hotwire anything when they take cars away.

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The first mistake was using Allstate; the second was not paying it automatically out of a bank account.

It's not easy to hot wire a Prius but they might have have pulled up with a tow truck and hauled it away. I hate to say it but the car is probably in a hundred pieces by now with the expensive battery already sold and the rest for sale to other shady mechanics or via online sellers..

12. MarytheR6

MarytheR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The letter stated that she had a 7 day period to make the payment or her policy will be terminated.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well you would need to find out the last day of her policy that was in effect.....then hopefully you can report it was stolen 1 day prior to that day.

Check with anyone that might have a camera near you and see when the car went missing.

This sounds like an inside job, happened when you were gone........whoever that knew, I would look in their garage first

14. MarytheR6

MarytheR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I will definitely try talking to some neighbors and see if they saw any tow truck come by and on which day. There are also security cameras but I would bet my life savings that they're just there for show and don't actually record anything.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have both your key FOBs?

16. MarytheR6

MarytheR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes. And the car was all locked up and cleaned the day that we left.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    was it on the street? or in your driveway?

18. MarytheR6

MarytheR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In the parking lot. We live in a condo

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well Condo units have HOA, maybe they have insurance that will cover theft? Surely they have cameras too.

You should find out when the car was actually stolen. If it was stolen during the time your policy was in effect, then you should be covered. Video dated evidence is good.

acceleraptor likes this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your profile shows a 2013 Model 5. Does that describe the car in question?

If so, does the car have Safety Connect? (Same as GM's OnStar. It is a package option for the model.) That can be used to track stolen cars. Even if it was not activated before the theft, it might to possible to activate it now. At least one member here, who had a Prius stolen the first night at home (fob taken in a car prowl of another family car), activated the Safety Connect after the theft, and it promptly located the car.

matt b. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.