1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius won't start, but full battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bryant1234, May 7, 2015.

1. bryant1234

bryant1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I bought a 2006 Prius from a dealership and drove it a few times in the first week I got it. The next 5 days or so I didn't use it, until today when I tried to start it up. The car wouldn't unlock with the key remote, so I opened it manually with the key. Then I tried to start it up, nothing. I then took a battery charger and hooked it up to the 12v battery under the hood. There was a constant beeping noise (like you were to honk your horn) then it stopped about 3 minutes later. I charged it until it was fully charged (a green light pops up when it's full), but the car still wouldn't start nor were there any lights on the dashboard. I then opened the trunk and charged the battery until it was full, it too made a honking noise for a while then stopped. I saw all the lights (ABS, orange triangle, and others) light up so I thought maybe I was on the right track; however when the charger light turned green I unhooked the battery and tried to start the car. Again, no lights on the dashboard and nothing when I try to start the car. What is going on???

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, i think you should start by measuring the battery voltage with a dvm, and not trusting the charger.

3. bryant1234

bryant1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any other things I could try? I don't have a DVM (not even sure what it is O_O, just assuming it reads the voltage). Where could I buy one as well if I may ask? Thanks

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sure, you can pick one up at any hardware store, sears, amazon, etc. digital volt meter, ten dollars.

the best way to test is to pop your hood at night when you're done driving. in the morning, before opening the doors (which activate the electronics and affect battery voltage) open the hood and hook the volt meter to the 12v positive in the fuse box and a negative ground point. if it reads 12.5 or less, that's your problem.

the problem with a lot of battery chargers is that they can't tell you whether the battery is good or bad, just that it's no longer taking a charge.

5. bryant1234

bryant1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take the advice with the way you test the car at night; however right now I'm not even sure if I'll ever be able to drive it again if it doesn't start up =( Can I measure it right after I go out and buy the DVM and what should the reading be when the battery is normal, low, or just plain bad? Thanks a ton!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can jump start it, but don't shut it off until you get home.:cool:

a new battery should be around 13.0 volts. as they age, 12.5 or 6 is the bottom limit. my 3 year old battery reads 12.7, but things can happen in the battery that can make the static reading unreliable. one issue for the prius battery is that it's very small, and running it down by leaving a door open/light on can kill it dead. then you have to get into turning on the headlights and watching the reading etc.

you don't want to test it after the car has been on, because you get a false reading from a surface charge from the car which takes at least a few hours to dissipate. i wish it were simpler, sorry.

btw, can't you go back to the seller for satisfaction?

#6 bisco, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  7. bryant1234

bryant1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never thought of taking it back to the dealership, I'll see if there's anything I can do when calling them. Hopefully I can find a solution for this problem =/ My parents trusted me when I chose a used Prius as my first car, so I don't want to disappoint them via my decisions.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish you all the best my friend. i trust my children to make at least as many mistakes as i did. your hearts in the right place, that's all the matters. tell them to call me if it doesn't work out.:)

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The honking is your vehicle alarm going off, which will happen immediately you reconnect a good 12 V supply back to the car. Just close up your car and lock it with the remote, then unlock it to reset the alarm.

Yes, you can. For the AGM battery that the Pruis uses, these voltages will give a rough indication of battery state. Bear in mind that the amperage that can be delivered is also important (but this is another discussion for another day).

12.9-13.1 V ..... Fully charged
    12.7 V ............. 75% charge
    12.1 V ............... 0% charge.

Anything above 12.7 is acceptable. Anything less, the battery requires charging. If the battery won't maintain 12.5 or better under the load of your headlights (on low beam is sufficient), then the battery condition is declining. Even so, your battery will continue to work for quite some time yet. It is not ready for replacing, I would say when the battery cannot sustain 11.5 V under the load of just your headlights running, then it time to start shopping for a new battery. (also note, the battery voltage should bounce back to close to the starting voltage after the load is released. If it doesn't get close, that is also a sign of a battery in poor health.)

Everything you have said indicates the 12V battery is past its "use by" date. Take the car back the dealership from which you purchased and insist that the battery is replaced. Do not accept the line that they usually spin - that they tested it and it checked out ok or we just need to give it a charge and it'll be ok. It is not ok. You already did that twice. Just tell them, "yeah well, in the real world it is not ok and will not reliably start the car and will not hold a charge.

Hope it goes well and you get a good outcome without too much of a fight.

hope this helps

#9 dolj, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  10. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    yep. take it back to the place you bought it and politely demand a new battery. if polite don't work, then get angry.