1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My rack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Will N, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Will N

Will N Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've just priced the basic Thule rack. WAAAY TOO Expensive! For almost 12 years, I've hauled kayaks, long heavy ones 75 pounds 17'6", 20' 50 pounds. I've had Yakima and Thule racks: Here's my two cents:
    1. Roof racks all have about the same weight rating. It's based on how it grips the roof. Price makes no difference. 2. Yakima finally stopped using round pipe, with round rail everything just twists around, out of position, and scratching your roof. They never tighten enough to stay in place. 3. ALL foot pads, rubber, silicone... turn to a sticky, gummy mess. 4. Every kayak, canoe, boat, roof rack accident I've ever heard of was caused by no end ropes, not by the rack. The ends of something long like a boat need to be tied to something. 5. Fancy roller hull thingies will work a couple of times and then jam--total waste of money.(5.1 Someone may post that their experience is completely different. They've used their racks a few times, take them off every time and store them in their garage, and may not put their kayak in salt water. If you're this fastidious--I'm jealous and you can ignore me. But you need bow and stern tie downs.)
    6. When you tie down the bow and stern, don't be too hard--you can warp your hull.
    7. I've paid extra for the fancy locking bolts. Racks can still be removed. The clamps can only be tightened down so much, and then they can still be easily wrenched off. No one has ever messed with my racks. (if security is an issue, get a long cable and padlock. Run it through the windows. I have heard of kayaks being stolen from roof racks.)
    I currently have some well used Yakima racks. I guess I'll try to make them fit my new used Prius V. If I need new racks I'll get cheap ones, like $30. I won't bother with any fancy fit to the hull fittings from Thule or Yakima. They just aren't worth the money. I'll probably make a set out of wood. (I made a great roller our of 2" ABS. It 'fits' in the space between the hatch on my Honda Odyssey and the roof.)
    If I use the used-Yakimas, I'll need some kind of pads. Probably medium density foam.
    but wait there's more! Equipment containers. I've got a Thule. It works great. It's a lot cheaper than the Yakima one. The Yakima has a weather strip, the Thule does not. I've been through heavy rain high winds (freeway speeds). Never a problem. These containers are good, lightweight and I don't know if there's a cheap version. The Thule works as well as the Yakima and is cheaper.
    Hope this isn't too strident.
    Will

2. nitteo

nitteo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

Im a big fan of the Thule racks. I watched craiglist for a few months before I found this rack for 1/2 the price.

Abdulaziz_Barham likes this.
  3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That certainly is a very nice rack!