1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Review of my Prime Advanced package

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by kmlipps, Jan 15, 2017.

1. kmlipps

kmlipps New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As promised the following is my review of the all new prius Prime Advanced package! I've had it for about a month now, which has been long enough for me to make an opinion.

I'll start with the cons: if you looked into this car at all, you know that the back windshield has been changed compared to any other prius. It has a dip that is supposed to be more aerodynamic and also used to drain water, snow etc. Here in Pennsylvania we've had a plethora of weather over this month and I've come to realize this rear windshield sucks. Water does not run down, snow does not slide off, and now without a back windshield wiper, it's almost impossible to see. I'm sure it helps my mpg, but it does not help me to see out the back.

Next, is the backup camera. Because of its location under the dip of the rear windshield, I find its always dirty! I'm constantly having to wipe it before driving in order to use it! Its either wet, dirty, or covered in salt from snow. With my 2010 prius, I never had this big of an issue with the camera getting so dirty!

Speaking of the camera, it is less than impressive. If you've ever been in other newer vehicles, their back up cameras have lines that tilt and move to better help assist you. On this prime, it looks like toyota wanted to make it look helpful by taking the camera they've always used and just adding lines. They only help if you're backing up in a straight line, they do not tilt or turn and honestly just get in the way most of the time.

The next problem is the GPS. It has not been updated, it looks the same as it always has. There's nothing special to it. I know with my 2010 I did not trust or use my GPS and it's looking like that's how this will be too. It seems to not know most roads and always takes way longer than if I just use my phones gps. Come on toyota get with it!

Also, this car is only a 4 seater, Toyota got rid of its 5th seat to cut down on weight and improve mpg. I'm sure in the years to come they'll bring 5 seaters back, but if that's what you need this isn't the car for you right now.

Now with that being said here are my pros: in all honesty I do love my car. It's looks are great, the interior (black leather) is comfortable and does not give off that harsh leather odor. The heated steering wheel and front seats heat quickly and perfectly. If you don't already know, this car has no belts under the hood. The heat/air conditioning are controlled solely by electronics and the outside air, which probably contributes to how fast it heats up and also means that in cold temperatures you don't need to turn on your car prior to leaving which is nice!

I charge my car overnight, and this car has a setting that you can tell it what time you leave so that it will be fully charged by that time and also heated up and ready to go based on what temperature your heat or air is set to! Which is super great for cold mornings.

The car also seems to be getting used to my commute, or I'm getting used to the car, but I find that it has been doing better and better each day mpg wise.

The automatic/sensing high beams are nice for night driving, no more having to remember to switch high beams off for oncoming traffic, the car does it for you! Not to mention the lights on this car are amazing!

This car also has a rain sensing windshield. There's a sensor that senses a dirty/ rain soaked windshield and automatically turns on your wipers for whatever speed it feels is adequate. A nonimportant feature, but it is nice!

The get up for the car is better than your average prius! It almost feels like a newer corolla would. It doesn't lag as much, especially with a charged battery. Though when the electric battery is dead, it does go back to the normal prius feel, no biggie!

This car also has radar cruise control. So, you can set the cruise to whatever speed, but if a car going slower were to go in front of you the car will sense that and match it's speed until that car moves from your lane. It'll keep you at a 3 car distance away. So you could have your self set for 80mph but if the car in front of you is doing 20, you will go 20 safely! It's very nice!

This car has plenty of safety features such as heads up display, blind spot detection, rear cross traffic alert, parking assist, and lane departure warning. Which if you've never had the lane departure it can be shocking at first! The car detects the lines on the road and if you cross them (or leave your lane without a turn signal) the car will beep at you, if you don't correct yourself the car will correct your driving for you so it literally steers you back into your lane. It's not aggressive, if you're really switching lanes the car will let you, but it's still nice.

As for the mpg, its amazing. The electric battery allows around 20 miles of gasless driving at speeds up to 84mph. And for those who work close to home you'll almost never touch your gas tank! The car allows you to use only battery or have it switch from hv to ev based on the driving conditions (hills, straight aways, or based on your speed).

I use the hv/ev mode to go to work since I live about 35 miles from my job to get the best mpg. Once the battery is dead the prius does not lose its mpg! I still get my mpg in the 60s with the normal hybrid battery. If you're wondering how this car is better than a chevy volt, I'll explain.

Volts charged battery can get you around 38 miles on a battery until it dies. But once that battery dies the mpg plummets. The battery is now at 0% with nothing saved to help your mpg from then on. You're driving an average car at that point with low low mpg. The prime does not allow its battery to completely die. The all electric driving is over when the battery is around 20%, leaving the remainder to help keep your mpg high even while using gas. A great feature of the car for those with long commutes.

Overall, there are more pros than cons with this car. I love it's new sporty look and fun new gadgets. It does need tweaking but I'm sure it'll come in time! If anyone has any other questions about anything I mentioned or hadn't mentioned don't hesitate ask!

Edit: stop complaining about the formatting..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Attached Files:

#1 kmlipps, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm considering have the dealer disable the automatic wipers. The two settings are:

Rain-sensing operation
    Intermittent operation linked to vehicle speed (with interval adjuster)

Are the rain-sensing wipers annoying? I rarely use my wipers and when I do, I almost always use them on intermittent. I wouldn't really want them running very often and that's what I'm worried about with the auto setting.

You might try paragraphs next time you write something so long.

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for that review.

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, a couple of line breaks would help a lot. I really want to read this but having a hard time with such a large block of text.

Mendel Leisk and fotomoto like this.
  5. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice review, thanks! It's great hearing honest opinions when us midwesterners can't even see one. :(

You said they turn on automatically. Do they have to be already switched on from the control stick, or do they turn on by themselves from the off position?

I have those on my truck but dislike them. The wipers have to be turned on manually, then they wipe when they want to. I dislike the variability in the wiping. And, IMO, they wipe way too often, especially since I use a water repellent.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's a switch (off - auto - low - high - mist).

7. kmlipps

kmlipps New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The wipers have an auto position, it can be manual or auto. So when already in this position it goes on its own without you having to turn anything on

Attached Files:

Prius Maximus likes this.
  8. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, that was fast! Nice!

9. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three

I like auto, but I'm kinda defeated by it. When I got to the car wash, I turn it off. Then I forget about it, till it rains, then I turn it on....

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great write up, thanks! how do you feel about the raised hatch floor?

11. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I leave my wipers set to auto. Sometimes I even forget they are technically "on" until it starts to rain when all the sudden they will start operating. I really like this feature. Occasionally, however, they either wipe a little too frequently, or will not give me a wipe when I want one, in which case I will manually move it to slow wipe and then back to auto.

I was not impressed by the auto high beam. I used it for two nights and finally gave up on it. Occasionally, it would not go into low beam fast enough due to the nature of the road, for instance when the road bends to the right and there is a car approaching from that direction. My biggest problem though is that the high beams would not come on when I was looking for addresses on mail boxes. Often, the car decided that ambient lighting was sufficient for driving, but I wanted to use the lights for more than driving but for looking at numbers on mailboxes.

Radar cruise control is clearly one of the superior features of this car. This feature is available on the base model Plus. It made my trip from Ohio to Texas and back much easier. An especially nice technique you can use with this feature is for passing slower cars. As your car pulls up behind someone traveling slower than your set speed, it will slow down. When you pull out into the left lane it will speed back up to your set speed and allow you to pass, all without ever having to unset or reset the cruise control. The cruise control also allows you hassle free drafting of 18 wheelers for better gas mileage on the highway.

Added: One of my biggest gripes is with the HUD. When driving in HV mode, which how I mostly drive, it does not indicate when the ICE has turned off. It gives you the standard hybrid system monitor, but without the little green EV car icon I find I have to constantly consult the MFD for making the sure the car has transitioned into an EV only glide. (on the positive side, this does indicate how quite the ICE is when it is on, and how smooth the transition between ICE-on and ICE-off is.)

#11 Pizza Driver, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Toyota4Life likes this.
  12. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm going to chime in on this one, if you don't mind. The raised hatch floor is fine for my grocery bags, but I have a feeling it's going to be a little shallow for my warehouse store runs. I prefer to close the tonneau cover when the hatch is full of stuff, and I am pretty sure I won't be able to cover it when the Prime is filled with stuff from my usual BJ's trip. I used to be able to fill my 2008 Prius hatch and close the cover. Considering I do this once a month or less, it was not something that was going to prevent me from getting the Prime.

bisco likes this.
  13. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really nice write up, thanks.

Is this 20% indicated on one of the standard dash displays? Is the display such that you can almost predict when electric driving is over?

I'm wondering if this was the actual true state of charge or from the indicated usable range of charge as shown on the non-plug-in versions of the Prius.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can adjust the sensitivity of the rain-sensing wipers. The ring switch that normally adjusts the variable intermittent wiper speed is used for adjusting sensitivity in AUTO mode.

upload_2017-1-15_12-23-29.png

I agree with the auto high beam (on our 2016). It works above 20mph/30km/h but if I'm in an alley or a place without street lamps, I'd like the high beams on. Of course, I can just manually turn it on but pressing the AHS button off.

I believe it's usable. So a full charge is 100%. (rather than whatever the true SOC is)

GreenJuice likes this.
  15. kmlipps

kmlipps New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree, the raised floor does give you noticeably less space as compared to the 2008 and 2010 I had before. I even feel bad beating it up in the back because of it being a black interior where scratches would be noticed. But overall, you can still put your seats down and you have plenty of storage to carry boxes, bags, or even a bike!

I know of the 20% from the reseach I did before purchasing the car. But there's an indicator on the heads up display or the trip display that tells you how many miles you have left with the electric charge before it switches to hybrid. It is possible to give the car small charges with braking, as you can with a normal prius, but it's usually less than a mile of charge that way.

Sorry guys, I also posted this to a Facebook page I'm apart of and I just copied and pasted it to here!

#15 kmlipps, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2017
    Toyota4Life, bisco and ruby like this.
  16. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can regen an entire mile of range if decelerating from 70 mph to a complete stop on a downsloping freeway ramp. ;)

Bluegrassman likes this.
  17. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Until the truckers catch on and start deploying radar jammers :)

18. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1484518760114.jpg 1484518784188.jpg

ruby likes this.
  19. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    nwmountaineer and kmlipps like this.
  20. James Wells

James Wells Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Great review. Mirrors my experience. My only real complaint is the awful UI of the 11" screen and the 1980's Nav.

Just made a 1,000 mile trip from Austin to Aspen and the car performed wonderfully including a mountain blizzard.

kmlipps and dalcon95 like this.