1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Review of the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got to test drive the Camry Hybrid yesterday (finally) thanks to Shawn from Openroad Toyota who was nice enough to take me, my bro and a few friends out for a spin.

First Impressions:

Just like the other Camrys, the Hybrid has a new design and the exterior cues are very subtle. Blue tinted headlights, satin-finished grille, HYBRID emblems and large reverse lights are the only visual cues to differentiate it from other Camrys.

Inside, the cabin is very spacious with grippy cloth seats (tested the base model) and large, comfortable front seats. Power seats were welcomed as the tilt steering wheel didn't tilt as high as I'd like to be so I had to lower my seat instead. I don't like the plastic on the centre console though and it seemed out of touch in this new, elegantly designed interior. The startup is just like the Prius with SKS and a push button start. However, unlike the Prius, the Camry will remind you via an in-dash screen situated within the speedo that you must depress the brake pedal in order to start the vehicle.

The car I had had 1,200kms on the clock but when the engine start up, it started up smoothly without the usual jerks associated with the Prius. As we talked and discussed, I saw the L/100km meter drop to 0 (or rather into the blue E mode) indicating the engine was off. There was no shudder either. Amazing. After we set the climate control (and Shawn kindly pointed out the ECO button that's hidden next to the electric fuel door opener button), we were off.

With 5 people on board, the Camry doesn't feel weak. It revs up nicely and the sound isn't as intrusive as it is in the Prius. Chalk that up to better sound insulation. The exterior mirrors seem a bit smaller but do the job nicely. The climate control was quick to cool the interior as the car has been sitting out in the sun for a while (we drove it at 5pm). I couldn't get it to glide so that's one indication that the engine is still not up to operating temperature.

I did my usual 60km/h braking test and the Camry Hybrid stopped nicely. It didn't feel powerful nor wow me with exceptional braking distances but it gets the job done. After that, we pulled over and tried to pair my phone with the car's bluetooth system but the system couldn't detect my phone (V3). Oh well...

I wasn't able to lower the mileage (8.3L/100km when we left the dealership) since the engine was idling when we were pairing the phone. I'm not sure why it ran since I set the climate control up to 23 and I tried to raise the passenger's side tempearture up too.

Anyway, after the failed attempt to pair the phone, I switched spots with my friend. I let him drive and I sat behind. It was very spacious with tons of rear legroom. It was also comfortable even with 3 people abreast. I noticed that the battery vent is mounted on the rear parcel shelf instead of besides the rear right passenger on the Prius. Also, the omission of a rear sunshade is an oversight. Why does only the XLE get it?

All in all, it's a great vehicle and one that I can my parents drive. It's not as techy as the Prius but it sure can deliver the HSD to the masses without all the quirks of the Prius (thermos, EV etc).

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice review. The brake lights on the HyCam are not the same as the ordinary Camry. Those use regular bulbs. The HyCam does not.

And did you notice the A/C that blows in the back? I love that, and so do the people that sit in the back of the car.

Now, my HyCam is fully loaded, but still, it sounds as if the plain Jane one is good too.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that's why the reverse light is so huge.

Yup. Our 02 Camry XLE has that so it's nice to have the rear vents. It was closed so I opened it when I sat in the back.

I just realised that I never actually saw the speedo. I mean, the only time I looked at it was when I was speeding up to 60km/h to do my brake test lol. Oh no, I've lost the habit of looking down lol.

4. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 13 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]302601[/snapback]</div>
    Because HyCam owners are so cool they don't need one. *groan* Nice writeup!

I sold my first HyCam for a tidy sum (short supply of base models here) and ordered another HyCam and a Touring Package '07 Prius for delivery before full Fed credits expire. There's no limit to the number of credits allowed, and my state permits owners to resell the additional $1,500 credit to any OR resident to help avoid AMT.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I'm planning to write a full report in more detail and with specifications (as if you were reading a report off a website) so when I'm done (hopefully soon), I'll post it up.