1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My review of the Prolong Deluxe reconditioning kit (2008 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by txexplorer, Jul 25, 2024 at 10:08 PM.

1. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First off I'd like to say I love my Gen 2 Prius. I purchased with 160,000 miles about 2 years ago and have put about 100,000 miles on this car since then. That's right, 50k miles per year. I have taken this car to all 48 lower continental states, driven Portland to Portland, to Keywest, back and forth across the Upper peninsula, up mountains, through the deserts, this car has been great. Only time I got stranded is when I backed off into a ditch and had to get pulled out.

That said, I have done most of the necessary work for a car this age, and at this point it drives like an almost-new car. I just clocked in 52.5 MPG, driving optimally of course, which is fantastic for a 2008.

Some of the things I have done/replaced:
    spark plugs
    Ignition coils
    coolant pump
    hubs
    brakes
    02 sensor
    cleaned MAF sensor
    cleaned throttle body
    headlights
    taillights
    fuel injectors
    hybrid ecu (unnecessary)
    windshield sprayer pump

Probably more stuff I'm forgetting but all of the tutorials have been on Youtube and doing the work myself has saved me many thousands of dollars.

About 10 months ago I was having some P3000 errors and replaced a couple modules. I bought the modules that were close in age and did a simple swap and things have ran fine until about a month ago.

This time I decided to do things proper and ordered the Prolong kit.

Long story short, this is a must-have if you are a DIY-er and want to extend the life off your battery.

Install of the car harness was easy, and I am thoroughly impressed with the results.

I had a single bad module (about 1 volt less than others) plus a broken module that leaked electrolyte on the battery case. I replaced the 2 modules and cleaned the batteries and case real good. I spent 3 days reconditioning the battery following the Prolong kit instructions and now have no errors, low voltage difference and good readings on DR. Prius. Like I said in the beginning, this last test drive clocked in at 52.5 MPG and I couldn't be happier.

Total cost was $75 for the 2 modules, and $740 for the kit. I saved about $150 from buying a replacement battery and now I can recondition as needed. Plus there is still the value in the kit should I want to sell it later.

Overall, 5 stars.

ayaz farrukh likes this.