1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My right hid light sometimes breaks down. What are the brightest legal hids for a 07 prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bluemoonseller, May 29, 2010.

1. bluemoonseller

bluemoonseller Junior Member

My right hid light sometimes breaks down. What are the brightest legal hids for a 07 prius? Is it worth it installing it myself?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The stock bulbs are the brightest legal lamps. From what I've read you will save about $100 by installing it yourself, but it's not easy. You can also save on the bulbs by buying them online, again, about $100.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its hit or miss whether or not they'll be covered. I know they cover the bulbs in the early Gen II Prius because of premature failure, its worth a shot.

I just had a lamp fail on the Lexus and just wen't through this (same bulb). The intermittent failure will get worse and eventually the lamp will not fire at all. The 4100k OEM bulb has the most light output of any of the available HID options. Going to a 5000k or even a 6000k bulb will give a bluer light, but you will loose actual light output.

One thing to consider, the bulbs get bluer and loose output as they age (a lot actually) so if you just replace one the color and output will not match the original bulb thats still on the other side. I bit the bullet and replaced both, but my car is a great deal older and I assume higher mileage (145k) so the difference may not be as distinct on your car. Phillips makes a bulb that is designed to match the output of a used OEM bulb...but its expensive. You can find the OEM bulb for $80 a piece or so.

They SUCK to replace yourself...worth an hour of labor IMHO. I tried for about 5 minutes and decided I'd rather watch TV and let someone else do it.