1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My State-By-State Count of Prii During My X-Country Roadtrip

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by BhamPrius, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got back from a 23-day, 18-state, and 6384 mile roadtrip in my G3, Amoreena. We had fun counting how many Prii we saw in each state. Included is my very non-scientific results:

WA-212
    OR-96
    ID-53
    UT-1
    WY-8
    CO-74
    KS-38
    MO-8
    IL-2
    KY-9
    TN-56
    OH-8
    IN-9
    MI-50
    WI-22
    MN-3
    ND-6
    MT-30

Total=685 (!!!)

Oh, and I averaged 48.5 MPGs (readout) during the course of the trip; mostly interstate miles.

5 people like this.
  2. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's really neat! Whenever I'm driving I keep my eyes open for spotting Prii. While on a road trip, someone who had the same 2010 as me honked as he went past me. We stayed together on the highway for the next 10 miles. Was great! Thanks for the info you collected.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bhamp, it's a lot to ask, but would you consider doing a rough calculation of Prii per thousand miles in each state?

I realize that you traveled well under 1000 miles in most of the states, but I think if you used Prii/100 miles you would be dealing with fractional Prii for some states

4. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sorry..it's beyond my skill level right now (road weary for sure)..and these #s are just for fun..not scientific!..i spent many days in some states and just drove through others.. i also achieved the elusive "100 MPGs every 5 minutes for 30 minutes" full bars..I have a pic.. it was achieved going down the west side of the summit of "going to the sun road" in glacier n.p. i was pretty excited! :)

5. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^Beautiful (and appropriate) place to achieve MPG nirvana! I'm afraid to ask about the gas prices at the east entrance of the park. :eek:

7. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh yes..the drive was STUNNING! i actually gassed up about 1/2 an hr east of the park..definitely cheaper and i had plenty of gas to get around the park for a few days..

8. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm impressed that you saw 8 in Wyoming. I read somewhere that they sell more cars in the DFW area than Wyoming and Montana combined, so that would be like going through Fort Worth and spotting 800 Prius if you normalized for population.

I also look for other Prius and I can say that the post saying east Texas and Louisiana has the least interest in hybrids is correct. You spot hardly any there. We just got back from a road trip across Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia then to Hilton Head SC. I can say the Louisiana has the fewest Prius.

9. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Only 2 in Illinois? Mine is visible in Google Earth, so please add one more for this state. 53 in Idaho? They've only got 1,567,000 people there. That's a much better ratio! I'll be moving there in 10 years or less, so I'm glad I'll have company.

10. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ha..like i said..totally unscientific.. i was in IL only as a drive-through (southern)..and mostly at night.. i was in boise for almost 3 days.. it's all relative!.. but fun numbers nevertheless!