1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My stolen key update

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kenedamick, Jul 19, 2006.

1. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Hey everyone - thanks very much for all your help (even the funny smart nice person 'I just stole a car guy')
    We managed to find a locksmith who could program the Prius (under the table) to start with basic functionality.
    We're going to have everything else done at the dealership tomorrow as far as reprogramming etc.

Thanks also for the kind words in support of my wife - she's actually doing really well considering she had a gun to her head a few days ago.

Anyway, with the exception of some of these bills, everyone is safe and well, and the Prius is back on the road pissing off jealous midwestern suburbanite SUV owners all over the roads.

Thanks again

-Mick

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Buy a third fob, get it programmed and keep it in the house.

I've got one in the house, one I use and the third one at my parents' house in a file cabinet.

3. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 19 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]288988[/snapback]</div>

Good call - I will definitely do that.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]288982[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. I'm shocked that there would be someone (other than a Toyota dealer) that could be able to program the SKS. Out of curiosity, did this person have something to hook up to the computer to get information from your ECU? Otherwise, how did (s)he do it? It's interesting to know that people like that exist, but it also scares me a bit (from a security point of view). . . hmmmm. . . <looks out window to check my car is still in the lot> Phew! :)

Glad to hear your wife is doing OK. It's awful that stuff like that happens.

And, glad to hear you're well on your way to pissing off some more SUV drivers ;)

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which locksmith?

6. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]288982[/snapback]</div>
    You are joking, right? I'm not particularly funny, and I try not to be a smartass, but I'm not stupid either. And 60 years of life have made me more than a little cynical about my fellow man. I read your original thread last night shaking my head at the fact that you only got one response like that in three pages of responses that seemed to buy the story that you're really as stupid as you pretend to be. Everything about your story is hinky, and now you come back with this idiocy. Three pages of helpful people pointing out repeatedly that it's very easy to have you car towed to the dealer (a service oriented dealer would have arranged it for you), and your final solution is a locksmith who programmed your key "under the table"? (whatever that means) What is you point this time? Are you just trying to insult all the people who tried to help you? On the long shot that I'm wrong and you really are this stupid, then you truly have my condolences.

7. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Jul 20 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]289374[/snapback]</div>
    I was trying to figure out why the locksmith needed to put a table over the Prius to get it to start. :)

I also couldn't figure out the starting "with basic functionality". I've never heard of a Prius working with basic functionality. It seems to me that either the computer works or it doesn't. I don't think the software has a MicroSoft-type "start in safe mode" does it?

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Jul 20 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]289374[/snapback]</div>
    So far, so good. The remainder of your post was just you being an arrogant prick, and is deleted without further comment.

9. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jul 20 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]289526[/snapback]</div>
    The guy is a scammer or a troll. Either way he exercised some good people here who were only motivated to try to help someone, then he came back with a story that basically says I think everyone here is an idiot who'll believe anything. I found that incredibly offensive. I am sorry if I offended you. My intent was to be as offensive as I knew how to the scammer.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

You may be right, pogo. It is also possible you are wrong. I have not lived as long as you have, but long enough to have learned to err on the side of giving an anonymous poster on the internet the benefit of the doubt, especially when all it costs me is a bit of tact to find answers to questions I might have.

I've read my share of Prius trolls, and SKS travails would be a rather strange gambit to start a fight, don't you think ?

Anyway, I've calmed down, and no offense taken personally. However, I'd like to point out that many of us here share our time with newcomers to promote and support the Prius and its community. A friendly atmosphere is very helpful towards those ends, and a stray post (which I don't think this was) is poor reason to embark on a witch hunt.

11. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jul 20 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]289757[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the response. I didn't take you to be someone who would judge that quickly. I appreciate that you read and thought about my response.

12. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well,

It is hard to tell if this is legit or not.

There are a bunch of strange things:
    1. I would think in unusual for a Prius owner to not know the year of their vehicle
    2. Both the tow truck and locksmith stories sound a little strange
    3. The questions about the valet key...it sure sounded like he had the valet key BEFORE he went and bought new FOBS
    4. When searching the kenedamick name on the net, it has been used before on other boards by someone named Mike Meyers in the same area he lists...but then why did he sign the post "Mick" instead of "Mike"

HOWEVER,
    When faced with a scary situation like this, one often can not collect their thoughts and will seem erratic to others.

I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt, and see what other posts he makes down the road.

Mick/Mike, I hope that your wife is doing well. I hope that you have also filed a police report and notified your neighbors...and changed the locks on your house!

I know a lot of people who now pull into the garage and close the door behind them before they get out of the car.

Please let us know how things progress...we will be watching for you.

Mike

13. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I, too, am also very interested in knowing how a locksmith was able to get a Prius started without either of the original SKS fobs, and would like to hear how this saga continues at the dealership.

I don't know if the OP is a scammer, either, but if he is, the part about having a 'linear garage' with the unstartable Prius blocking off his other vehicle (making it difficult to move and creating a sense of urgency) was a very nice touch.

Whatever happened to that other guy who wanted help because he had bought a cheap, 'slightly crashed' Prius off ebay, sight unseen, that was undrivable because it didn't have any SKS fobs?

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 21 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]289899[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like a crock. Six sturdy fellows can bounce one car out of its parking slot.

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 21 2006, 06:39 AM) [snapback]289899[/snapback]</div>
    There was a poster last winter who said he had shipped a Prius to his brother in Japan and the shipping company had lost both FOBs. I think TAG finally told him it would be the shipping company's problem not his and he went away. I seem to be a sucker for a sad story because I start out believing all these guys until someone questions them.

There was also a lady from somewhere in New Mexico who lived on a ranch way out of town. She knew absolutely nothing about her car and had no one to help her. As I recall she was pretty frustrated by the car and said some things about it that some here did not like. They called her a troll and drove her away, I'm 99% sure she was just someone who wanted help with her Prius. So it can go both ways.

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 21 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]289899[/snapback]</div>
    Aparently the FOBs, along with the title, were in the glove compartment. See Post #27 here.

17. janetjanetbobanet

janetjanetbobanet Junior Member

How much does a third fob cost?

18. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(janetjanetbobanet @ Jul 21 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]289970[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on where you get it! metrotpn.com and partznet.com will most likely sell to you at around 25% off (aroung $140???--I don't know the current price), and a dealer will charge you anywhere from $30 to $130 or more to do the programming. You definitely need to shop around. Some dealers might match the internet price, but are high on the programming fee. I called all the dealers in San Diego county a couple of years ago, and found the above very wide price range. If you only have one (expensive) dealer in your area, consider having a new fob with you the next time you take a road trip to a city where the programming is cheaper.

BTW I'm the only one who drives my car, and I have taken the battery out of my spare fob and hidden it in the car. That way, if my purse gets stolen or I simply lose the fob, I will be able to start the car even on a road trip. Of course, I still have to get the metal key copied and hide it on the OUTSIDE of the car so I can get in without calling AAA!!!!! I highly recommend the spare-fob-in-the-car idea for anyone, and solo drivers in particular.