1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my story

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by TucsonDave, Jun 27, 2004.

1. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

Jun 2 a friend at work showed me his 2003 Civic. It was cool. But I had heard that Toyota made one also.

Jun 5th I went it to the local Toyota dealer and asked about it. He explained it all to me. They get 2 or 3 a month, there's a long list, not taking any orders... Ok, we'll take your name and number. OK, now I really want one. Did some searching on the web. Found out how hard they were to get.

Jun 11 I have a trip to Palm Spring coming up. I find out that enterprise rents Prius'. My wife calls and I get a pretty salsa. I put on 975 miles in five days. I let anyone and everyone drive it. OK, Now I'm in love with the car.

Jun 14 When I get home my wife tells me that the Toyota guy called and said they have a 300 mi #1(Trak) avail. Jun 18. She gave them a $500 deposit and it's our. Cool. 8)

Jun 15 Go to dealer. $23,500, $1800 extended warranty. :cry: Fine, we'll take it.

Jun 16 NOT!!!!!! It has to be a #7 or #9 or nothing. Dealer says fine.

Jun 21 Wife calls dealer and asks how we get our deposit back. He tells her that if we don't care about the color he will put us on the "cars that drop out of nowhere list." In 6 to 8 weeks we should know the color and when it's coming in. Oh, and by the way, we keep your deposit. Really? :?

Well there's my story. If you have any comments I would love to hear them. I am very new to the "chat" world. I really love this site. I spend hours reading. My favorite line is "It's just a car!" Yeah, but I want one.
    Thanks

2. jchu

jchu New Member

Several Comments,

1) DO NOT Pay $1800 dollars for the Extended Warranty. How important it is to even get it has been debated in other threads. Personally, my wife and I did go ahead and get it; Probably for too much at $1300 because my wife liked the dealership too much. You do not have to buy the warranty at the same place or at the same time. Just need to get it before the primary warranty runs out. Shop around and you can find the same Toyota warranty for under $1000. If memory serve me correctly, Danny (PriusChat founder) has found a way to offer it for this reduced price to the members here. Sales will also provide financial support for this forum.

2)Pay attention to the many threads about purchase. We used the web to find smaller dealerships, called them, and had great response. Friendly, with relatively short waiting lists (some actually had a Prius or 2 available at the time), and no BS about "market adjustments", just MSRP and no required "value added" dealer packages.

Your story is beginning to take on the same smell as Manny's (aka BigBaldCuban).

3. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

Thanks!!! That sounded high to me. I drive 65 mi round trip each day so I wasn't sure if I needed it or not. The dealer told me that if I never used it they would refund the $1800. Thanks again!

4. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

got THE call

Back in june we were told the only way to drive a 2004 is to rent one from the dealers transportation dept. The next available date was 4th of july weekend. Weekend rates were $10 a day. Great. I pick up the car on Friday (white#1). I get home and the wife says the toyota quy called and had some "news" about your car. really. Saturday moring I called him back and he said, "It's a driftwood #9, should be in July 20th. It's your if you want it." "MSRP?" "MSRP + $735.00 (dealer....blah blah blah...what ever." "I'll take it." He then told me that he would call when he knew the exact date. I can't believe I got so lucky. :D

5. jchu

jchu New Member

TucsonDave,
    If a dealer does state that the Extended Warranty is refundable if not used make sure you get that in writing. That is not the standard program. Also still shop around because MSRP for the warranty is more like $1300 and can be got for less.