1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Sub and Amp Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by blown240, May 19, 2011.

1. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to share the install I did today on my 05 Package 3. Its got the basic stereo, no changer, no DVD, no JBL, etc.

First I started off making a custom box that would fit in the rear recess on the drivers side. The box turned out great, but it ended up just not having the interior volume for the speaker I am using.

Here are a couple pics of the box I built and the box I am using temporarily instead:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the AMP INSTAL:

First off, if you are going to be doing this, use good tools, and use a fuse for the amp power wire.

[​IMG]

Since the stock stereo doesnt have a sub out, we need to get line level inputs. I removed the plastic panel over the B pillar, where the wiring goes into the door. Here is a pic of the wire harness going into the door.

[​IMG]

The red and white wires are the ones that run to the speaker. These are the ones you need to tap into. Here is a pic of the line level inputs tapped into the stock harness:

[​IMG]

Next we need POWER AND GROUND:

I ran an 8aug wire from the 12v battery to under the seat. This was actually pretty easy. Then I ran an 8aug ground to one of the seat bolts.

DONT FORGET THE FUSE HOLDER!!

[​IMG]

Next we need to run the speaker wires from the amp to the sub. This will differ depending on where you have your subs, but you get the idea.

Here is a pic of the amp wired up except for the remote turn on wire:

[​IMG]

Now its time for the remote turn on wire. This is what gave me the toughest time. I decided that since I always have the radio on, that the best bet for me was to have the amp turn on whenever the car is on. For this I tapped into the power outlet in the center console.

If you remove the back seat cupholders, there is a connection for the power outlet:

[​IMG]

The gray wire is the one you want to tap into, it gets power whenever the car is on. So if you use this one, remember that the amp will be on anytime the car is on.

Tap into this wire and run it to the remote turn on screw on the amp.

Here are a couple pics for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you are done with this, put it all back together, put in your fuse, and enjoy the music!!!

I plan on building another custom box that takes up the small under floor storage on the drivers side, but until then, this will have to do.

[​IMG]

Please feel free to ask any questions!

2 people like this.
  2. svitale75

svitale75 Prius Addict

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very cool and good install utilization of the available spaces!

3. Silver NY P3

Silver NY P3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice write up I have a 12"CVX kicker sub and 750w amp I have from my last car. I connected to the deck with a PAC adapter so it was all plug & play but the adapter was about $90. Some day I hope to have the time to break down and install it.

4. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the compliments. I bet a 12 will sound rad in such a small car.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for doing a complete write up. I'm sure others will benefit from it. :)

A 12" does sound great in this car. I had 2 12s (Diamond Audio then JL Audio) and 1500w RMS. But I downgraded to a single 12"(500w RMS) in a vented enclosure to save room and cut down on power usage.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VERY NICELY DONE.!!!

I am wondering how off does the sub sound in the reduced enclosure. The custom enclosure looks quite well built, kudos! The blace box looks about 1/3 more volume?

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow you're so young!

8. blown240

blown240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. crazy how I was able to take a picture of myself like that huh?

The custom box it about 1/2 the size of the other, and the difference in sound is HUGE!

9. zrtmatos

zrtmatos New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. nene212

nene212 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Nice install!

11. Jeffao

Jeffao New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anybody know what the white box is inside the center console?