1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Summer Trip and Fun Facts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by W7ZR, Aug 24, 2010.

1. W7ZR

W7ZR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just finished a 7000 mile three week trip in my 2010 Prius. My summer trips usually are on my Honda Goldwing trike but this year with a new auto and the mileage I was getting on the Prius I decided the summer road trip was to be in the Prius.

I started the trip in Lake Havasu City, Arizona with 2870 miles on the odometer. Whether it is in the car or on the bike I like to keep records. So clipboard on hand I took off. First stop was Peoria, Illinois for a college reunion. Then up through Michigan, across Canada to Northern Vermont.

A few side trips in New England and then on to Virginia, Alabama and home. Now the good stuff.

7018 miles consumed 127.8 gallons of fuel. The indicated MPG for the entire trip was 55.6 with the actual at 54.9. The error between indicated MPG and actual MPG was 1.2%. No complaints here.

My best mileage between fills was the last leg from Flagstaff, Arizona to home where I averaged 67.0. That’s right 67 MPG. Oh, the worst was from home to Flagstaff. All or most uphill was 47 MPG.

Now I am not a lead foot. I do use cruise control and set it at 62 MPH for most freeway/interstate driving.

I traded a pickup truck for this vehicle and there were some apprehensions to start. Now, forget it. This auto was fun to drive and economical.

3 people like this.
  2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like a fun trip. A little too much driving for me, though--looks like you averaged 5 - 6 hours/day for 3 weeks. :eek:

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For 6400 feet of elevation change over 208 miles (from some mapping software), both of these figures are consistent with your approximately 55 mpg average for no elevation change.

My rule of thumb is that 1 gallon is equivalent to 10,000 feet of elevation change, give or take one-two thousand feet depending on how heavy a payload the Prius is carrying. This also presumes little or no friction or compression braking on the downhill side.

4. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And I thought 2100 miles on my trans am in 9 days this summer was a lot! We won't bother with the fuel mileage though......!

I manage to get 47-49 in my wifes Prius with my lead foot.

5. SamelCamel

SamelCamel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How can you set the cruise control at 62mph when most Interstate Highways are 65-70mph?

-Sam

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just as easily as you can set it to 65-70mph. :p

Believe it or not, the speed limit is an upper-bound (read: MAXIMUM), not a "you must drive this speed". In many states, there are explicit or implied minimum speeds as well.

As long as you don't drive outside the right lane (except to pass if that ever should occur), there's little wrong w/ it provided it's not a single lane road w/o passing opportunities (in that case, use turnouts!).

Our "desolate" (read: outside major metro areas) speed limit is 75mph on the I-10 and I-40. Some trips I may do that, some I may only do 70mph. I guarantee, I'm not the only one - some efficency minded truckers, U-Hauls, or RV drivers will be doing the same because fuel economy really is that much worse at 75 than it is at 60 or 65. At 62mph, I'll easily see MPG in the mid 50's. At 75mph w/ a full car, it may be closer to 45mpg.

Same applies for airplanes. The difference between 55% and 75% power is only 10-15 knots (sometimes less, sometimes more), but fuel consumption can be *significantly* lower at the lower power setting. Often, going from 65% to 75% results in 20% more fuel burn and you only get there 15-20 minutes sooner.

1 person likes this.
  7. chuckc192000

chuckc192000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was wondering that too -- this probably didn't dispel the misperception that Prius's are underpowered and/or driven by bad drivers.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I can, I do 62 as well. It seems for me it is the optimum (efficiency-wise) highway speed.

9. W7ZR

W7ZR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the two replies to help "defend" by 62 mph speed set. I did some comparisions between driving this trip at 55, 65, and 70 and the speed, mpg, cost factors favored around 65. Hence I set the control at 62. Sure I was passed by people but it was fun seeing me passed by the same vehicles two or three times while I just kept "chugging" along.

Oh yes, the Prius is not underpowered. I never felt like I did not have enough to keep up or pass when necessary.

I will say it again.... "I love this car" !!!

10. Chad's Dad

Chad's Dad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like it was a great, fun trip to enjoy some quality Prius time.

Now, next time make the whole trip without using an interstate.