1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My tank can't fill up - perpetually at 1 gas pip!?!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by macmaster05, Dec 29, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ran my tank down to Empty as usual, after roughly 370 miles. So today I went to the gas station but after only ~2.x gallons and ~$8 the pump clicked off, seeming to indicate that my tank was full already! :confused: Ok, whatever I thought and I just left it at that to drive to work (~18 miles for me). The weird thing is, my MFD did not reset at all. It continued to add to my 370 mile reading, and my gas pips (squares) did not increase to whatever an additional 2.x gallons would be. It stayed at one pip. (FYI, I have not encountered the flashing/beeping pip yet - if that matters)

When I got to work just now I decided to try another gas station. I set the nozzle on auto and after 19 cents, the pump stopped. Now I'm really worried. It seems I can't fill up my tank and as if I'm perpetually stuck at 1 pip. I've tried to think about what it could be but without being a major sensor issue (please no), this doesn't make sense.

I've searched the forums and can't find anyone with this same problem. This isn't a "I-can't-get-more-than-5 gallons-in-my-tank-because-my-bladder-shrunk" issue. Just now I couldn't put more than a 25 cents in my tank when the indicator reads Empty. I could really use your guys' help now. Thanks!!!

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Around 3 gallons is the minimum for the gas meter to reset.

You either a) have a fold in the bladder or b) are full but didn't put in enough to reset the meter.

Probably (a). Go to the station, and fill up. However don't use the auto stop. Also if you are in a state with those venty things on the pump, flip it upside down or wedge something between the capture nozzle and the air. Fill it up by squeezing the handle so slightly that barely anything is flowing. Continue to do so until you hear it near the top. Like filling a water bottle, it makes a different sound near the neck.

1 person likes this.
  3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks 2k1!! I was considering pumping it manually but I didn't want anything to overflow. Needing more than 3 gallons to reset the meter would make sense. I don't know how I could have developed a fold in the bladder.

I have no idea what venty thing you're talking about. Are you just saying pump it slowly?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As stated above, your additional gas was to little to register.

As for early click-off, it is quite common, and contrary to your comment, this site is full of threads dealing with this exact problem.

Some pump nozzles are touchier than others, so try a different pump. You can also improve the situation by by partially withdrawing the nozzle and tilting up the handle part. Use a slow fill rate. Generally this will help with all but the most stubborn nozzles.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll give it another go and report back. Thanks.

6. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing like standing in freezing weather and stuck on a slooooooooow filling pump.

How would the bladder 'fold'? Is the sensor near the 'mouth' of the bladder? What if he pushes the pump further and try?

I have pumped with faulty pumps that would click-off after every 0.2 gal, but after moving to another pump, usually the problem was solved. macmaster has tried two pumps but they both clicked quickly. So it is not probably the pump I assume.

1 person likes this.
  7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went to the same gas station, tried another pump and the same thing happened. I pushed the nozzle firmly into the neck, squeezed, and only about 0.10 gallons would be released (just as Michgal described) before clicking off. I must have done this at least 10-15 times before before getting frustrated. At one point, I finally got it going automatically and it went for like 5 gallons before clicking off again. Then it was back to the old routine.

In all I got about 6.x gallons (which is still nothing), but at least my MFD has reset and shows all 10 pips. Still, I wouldn't say this is solved.

I called the dealer and they said if it was a problem with the tank or a clogged evap sensor, there'd be a light on my dashboard, but there isn't. Nevertheless, I still booked an appointment at the dealer for next week.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    EDIT - SHOOT - I wonder if after it stopped after that 5 gallon run, I unnecessarily topped it off. In other words, it clicked off like it was supposed to. I forgot I purchased 2 gallons in the morning. So 6 gallons just now + 2 earlier would be about 8 gallons, which is what I normally fill up.

Hmmmmmm.

9. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, using the first click on the pump handle is helpful for getting a good fill. It's a small tank--it doesn't take very long. I always fill up faster on the first click than the person on the other side of the pump who is most likely using full flow.

My fill-up is usually 7 gallons. In warm weather, capacity increases though. In cold weather, the capacity decreases and a fill-up might only be 5-6 gallons.

Eric

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]

It is the vapour recovery nozzle. The black accordion thing on there, and again only in some states.

A fold develops and dissipates mysteriously. It just sometimes collapses upon itself. By filling it up, it will get better.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The early cut off issue is easily fixed by letting the tank vent before filling it. If you don't let the tank vent, air is trapped in the collapsed bladder creases and as the bladder opens up during a fillup that air is released. That change in pressure shuts the pump off. Especially if you let the tank go very low and the bladder is completely collapsed.

Also as our cars get older the bladder loses its flexibility and that flexibility is hampered even further by very cold weather. I'm sure all the ethanol thats added in winter is not helping either.
    If you own a GenII and live in frigid temps do not let the tank go very low as that exacerbates this problem.

If you don't believe me try it. Go back to the same pump on the next fill up. Open the tank cap venting the tank and go in the store for a while. Come out and fill it up on slow. First click hang the pump up. My car has been trouble free for 3 years since I figured this out. Not one shut off.
    But be aware the colder it is out the longer it may need to vent.

2 people like this.
  12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, huh. How does that work? I mean, what component in the fuel system vents slowly?

13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If I understand Ed correctly he was saying that it takes time for the bladder to restore its shape after the gas cap is removed to allow venting.

1 person likes this.
  14. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My manual advises not letting the tank get below 2 segments. Maybe this is why?

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not exactly sure but I do know how a gas station nozzle works and the thing that triggers the pump to shut off is a slight vacuum. It uses a venturi system. Its triggered by the nozzle being covered with gas (full tank) which creates a vacuum and closes a valve.

So somehow the pump is seeing a slight vacuum when its going into its shut off routine during fill up.
    Or the pressure differential between tank and the pump is very high and its throwing the pumps venturi system out of whack.

Or its seeing trapped air from bladder pockets and thats throwing the pressure diff off.

I suspect the tank bladder is under a slight vacuum all the time. Venting the tank releases that vacuum in the entire recovery system. That takes about 2 minutes. I assume simply starting the car restores the bladder vacuum.
    So pulling up to the pump...getting out and pumping fast usually does not work good.

If you live in very cold temps this issue has to be a real pain because I bet your struggling against a freezing bladder too. You may have to vent even more. If I lived in very cold I would not let the tank go below 1/2 tank during the winter. Don't let the bladder completely shrink. Which would make half the chatters on here crazy as it seems its very important to alot of people to run the car as close to empty as possible.

Toyota got carried away with its vapor recovery mission. The schematic for it is intense.

The problem is in my venting I am defeating the car's zero emissions mission by letting vapor escape.
    But this is better than a gallon of gas on my shoes which happened more than once before I firgured out the venting.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never experienced any of these issues in 8 years and 2 gen II's. now, i know i'm special, but not that special.:) could there be a small number of bladders that have some type of weakness/defect?

17. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1

Mac,

An explanation of how the Fuel and Evap System works can be found here:
    Automotive Training and Resource Site

Got to "Technical Articles" on the left. Then go to section Hybrid 13.
    While you're there, look for the part about inclination sensor adjustment.
    Mis-adjustment may be causing your problem.

1 person likes this.
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine was ok for a few months when I first bought it but soon started the shut off dance everywhere. Couple times it belched out gas on me.
    Have seen lots & lots of posts with same issue. It will do it every time almost if I do not vent.

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't argue with success :_> Apparently a collapsed/folded bladder expands/unfolds more slowly than I would have guessed.

20. Ironball

Ironball New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    We had the same problem with our Prius C...Run the tank near empty and it seams to fix the problem...