1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My test drive

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jdonalds, Jul 2, 2009.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I finally drove a 2010 package III today. Sad to say the things I was concerned about turned out to be true for me. I see no reason to switch from my 2008 package II.

1) I don't like the center console. I have a bit of claustrophobia and the new console makes the drivers compartment feel confining to me.

2) I miss the MFD. The new display has a couple of nice features but it is too small and too far away.

3) I don't like the bump in the hood which makes the car look taller and narrower adding to the already tall narrow look the previous models had.

4) I see no reason for the new shift lever.

5) Toyota seems hell bent on moving the display more and more to the center of the car which I just can't understand. I want my guages and information right in front of me when I drive. This is close to a deal breaker for me.

6) I don't want the built in GPS system because they are too expensive. My hand held Garmin works just fine. Can't get the package III without the GPS. The package II only comes with the driver's door smart key entry. I want smart key on all 5 doors, not less doors than my 2008.

There are things I like but at this point I wouldn't trade for a 2010. I hope Toyota reverses some of these changes in future models. Toyota has the corner on the market for fuel economy and I love our 2008. I wish there was some decent competition. Honda tried really hard with the Insight. I like the looks and guage package of the Insight but they simply missed on the Hybrid design and MPG.

John

2. ILoveMyYoshi

ILoveMyYoshi Happy Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. But you can get the Prius III without Navigation. In fact, that's what I'm getting. For the same reasons that you do not want it.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can get the Prius III with or with out the Nav/GPS package.

I do not understand your comment about the smart key on all 5 doors. From what I understand all 2010 Prius models II, III, IV, and V open the doors the same way.

4. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not correct. II and III only offer smart key auto control on the driver's side door.

5. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why a Park Button???????????

I'm not a big fan of the center digital display either as I like the traditional behind the wheel analog displays but after my test drive the Gauges and display was clear and crisp in bright light and the touch tracer extremely ergonomic to use.

Some of the packaging choice definitely makes no sense I'm sure Toyota will tweak this as the Gen III matures.

My 1.5 cents (LA county tax increases not included)

6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You don't need an excuse not to trade. It looks like that's what you were doing.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Never waited for a train, eh?

Not wanting to hold the brake that long but leaving the system running is the benefit.

I use it daily for picking up my mail too.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Drive it another 4 years, then you will. So soon makes that choice a bit of a stretch anyway.

I absolutely love the changes. You'll lose interest in the Iconic screens eventually, seeing the benefit which comes from the Eco-Meter combined with the behavior changes to the system itself.

Don't get me wrong. I totally enjoyed the 5.5 years and 118,185 miles with my 2004. But it was time to take the next step for me. Yours will come with the next model instead. No big deal.

9. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can someone please explain in plain English what the difference is between:

And this comment:

Why is it so difficult for people to say that when you press the open door function on the Model II it just unlocks the driver door and when you press the open door function on the model IV it opens all the doors?

I am not sure how it really works but it would be nice for people to explain what they really mean.

I rent about 20 differnt cars a year and have never heard terms like 'driver's door smart key entry' and 'smart key auto control' these are not normal terms that people driving a Prius understand. I question if they are made up terms by the people that posted them.

On my current 4Runner if I press the button once the driver door opens. When I press it twice all the doors open including the back door. Is this how the Prius works?

10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The keyless entry, (or smart key system or SKS), that works without pressing any buttons on the remote, is based on the remote talking to a sensor on the door. On the Gen 2 cars, and on the Gen 3 IV and V models, there are sensors on the driver's side door, passenger's side door, and hatch. On the II and III models, they got cheap and only put a sensor on the driver's door. OP was complaining about this driver side only sensor on the II and III, rather than about which doors are unlocked when you use it.

However, the answer is that it defaults to opening driver's door only, if you approach from the driver's side. This can be changed to open all doors. The behavior when pressing the buttons is like other cars, and can also be programmed to open all doors or just driver's door.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Smart key on Prius IV and V operates from the passenger door and hatch vs. just the driver's door.

All versions can be reconfigured to open all doors from the driver's door with a single touch - check your owner's manual.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what you are saying.
    On the lower trim levels of the Gen III Prius there is only one door handle with smart entry sensors on it, the drivers door. On the higher trim levels, IV and above the sensor is fitted to the front passenger door and hatch as well. No one is referring to the remote buttons, they are referring to the smart key system. Personally I have no problem with pressing the remote button, but I have never had smart key. If you really own a Prius Gen III I advise you to read the owners hand book to learn that these terms were in fact made up ...

... by Toyota!

13. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Actually I was hoping for more. The center console was better than I thought because it does have the large space below for things like my wife's purse. I heard the guages weren't moved too much to the right but that turned out not to be true.

Glad to hear you can get package III without the GPS.

14. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for clarifying how it works. I read the brochure and it does show under footnote 10 that the IV and V Include front passenger and rear hatch.

I do not own a Prius nor have access to a user manual. I am in the market to buy one and would like to fully understand what my options are.

Does the key FOB work like other cars? Press unlock once and the drive door opens, press it twice and all 5 doors open?

15. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, but with SKS, I never even take the keys out of my pocket anymore.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, your information down the left of screen implied you own a Gen III Prius.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get used to it :p. As other manufacturers make their own versions, there'll be a lotta different names:

SmartAccess (Lexus... not sure why they need a different name)
    ComfortAccess (BMW)
    Intelligent Key (Nissan/Infiniti)
    FASTkey (Mitsubishi). Free-Hand Advanced Security
    Keyless Go! (Mercedes-Benz)

Yes although if you have SKS, you will probably never use that function again (the SKS can be programmed to 3 different unlocking sequences)