1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Theory on Toyota's Unintended Acceleration Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Walk_the_walk, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Walk_the_walk

Walk_the_walk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is my theory on the Toyota Prius UIA problem in a nutshell. It is an excerpt of an email I sent it to the Office of Defects Investigation at the NHTSA and to DOT Sec Ray Lahood, as well as to my local Toyota dealer, and to Toyota HQ in Japan. I would like to share it with the forum, in an effort to promote research into this dangerous and elusive problem:

Due to its hybrid electronic system, the Toyota Prius is one of the most complex electronically controlled vehicles ever manufactured, and the technical manual for the Prius reveals that there are about a dozen ECUs behind the dash of the Gen II Priuses, including the one Mr. Sikes drove.

These Prius ECUs are connected together in a network (a LAN) and communicate with each other. I strongly suspect that Bluetooth-enabled devices, including I-phones, Droid phones, laptops and the like, which use Information Carrying Radio waves for communication, could be interfering with the ECUS in the Prius and other Toyota vehicles. Keep in mind that these same devices are PROHIBITED from being turned ON during takeoff and landing of a 757 or other passenger jet to prevent the jet from crashing.

So, I believe that there is a possible shielding issue, or radio interference issue that is the root cause of this problem. This would also explain why the problem is so hard to replicate, and why some owners experience this “out of the blue†and others NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEM AT ALL.

Also, when the driver drops the vehicle off for service at the local Toyota dealership, they are unable to duplicate the problem, because the owner has left with his cell phone or laptop (no one leaves those expensive devices behind in their vehicles when they leave them for service, or if they do by mistake, they would be turned off).

Moreover, in California, Colorado, Oregon and several other states, it is illegal to drive and use a cell phone. But, it is not illegal to use a Bluetooth-enabled or “hands-free†device in your car. Mr. Sikes is a realtor and may have just such a device to stay in touch with his office. Also, Prius owners have to PAY EXTRA TO HAVE BLUETOOTH ENABLED in their vehicle.

Our Prius is a “plain Jane†version, and we do not have the Bluetooth option enabled on our vehicle, and in Florida, it is not illegal to drive and use a cell phone. So, we have made many a cell call from our Prius while driving it, and have NEVER experienced any Unintended Acceleration, nor have we been able to duplicate the symptoms with our own testing, but then we own the cheaper phones without the sophisticated features and are not using Bluetooth or any other hands free feature and we do not use a wireless laptop in our car, and never have.

I therefore suggest that the ODI department of the NHTSA look very carefully at Information Carrying Radio waves, Bluetooth and/or hands-free devices as a possible cause of UA in these recent Prius incidents. If my theory turns out to be correct, it would be easy to add shielding, using shielded cable or after-market installed toroidal coils, to reduce the hazard if it is caused by radio frequency interference.

There is also a Facebook Group page for this issue, if you are interested:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything at all scientific to back up your speculation?

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are entitled to your theory, of course, but I find it weak, as noted below.

Not true at all. All cars today use computers to control a wide range of vehicle functions. The Prius is similar in this respect to all other cars, and nowhere near as complex as, say, modern aircraft.

Apparently this is due to extreme over-precaution. A pilot (sitting next to me and using his cell phone while we were in the air) told me that there was ONE airline accident ONCE where the investigators postulated a possible cell-phone interference, after they were unable to find any other explanation. They had no positive evidence that the cell phone was the cause. But because of the litigious nature of our society, and the fact that nobody ever gets fired for recommending that something be prohibited, cell phones were prohibited on commercial aircraft.

Mr Sikes "may have" done or had anything you care to speculate. He "may have" had a psychotic pet hen who caused his accident by telepathy because he forgot to feed her that morning. Your speculation about what he may have had or done is useless. I suggest you find out what he DID have or was using before you offer arguments of this nature.

Several million Prius drivers have never experienced unintended acceleration. Your argument (that bluetooth is at fault because you have made calls without it and had no problems) is silly and illogical in the extreme. You can rule out a cause if you can demonstrate that the cause existed and did not cause a problem. You cannot indict a cause based on the fact that you do not have that cause, and have no problem.

1 person likes this.
  4. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My theory is oompa loompa's causing the problems. I think they jump out from under the dash when you're not looking and hold the pedal down. If they can transport a chocolate bar across the TV airwaves, there's no telling what they can do!

1 person likes this.
  5. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Though the OP has a point, I too find it weak. There are so may electronic devices these days and if the theory holds any weight, then there would be more incidents involving haywire ECUs. What about a modern bus with dozens of passengers with blue tooth enabled smart phones? I don't hear too many stories about runaway buses. I could go on and on, but I think you know where I'm going with this.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The OP's theory is not impossible, but nor is it likely. RF interference, if it could get into the CAN bus, would increase the error rate on the bus, not produce false messages. If the error rate gets too high, the ECUs will log a code and/or go into failsafe mode.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  7. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL. That's the best thing I've read all day.

- D

8. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's got to be the iPhone...

9. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

I agree with your observations, with one critical exception that ensures political correctness. Mr. Sikes psychotic and telopathic pet could, just as likely, have been a hungry rooster. ;)

10. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If your theory is corrrect wouldn't there be much more of these occurances starting from the time this option was introduced?
    In addition don't some people have laptops connected for added instrumentations and recording data?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one would think if the theory is correct, it could be replicated in some form in the lab. i'm sure toyota has done extensive testing to see if any possible interference could occur. but, i'm am not an engineer, or a scientist, nor do i play one on t.v.:cool:

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of us have tried RFI experiments; some owners who are hams
    have high-power HF transmitters installed in their cars, and I
    don't remember exactly where the reference is but Toyota claims
    that they test all the electronics both in the lab and as installed
    with DC to daylight at 200 V/meter or some fairly high figure.
    Sensitive signal lines and computer units are well-shielded. As
    others have pointed out, interference from other parts of the car's
    own electronics or numerous common consumer devices is not only
    fundamentally unlikely, it wouldn't have all of a sudden happened
    so many times THIS WEEK and not before.
    Next?
    _H*

bisco and dogfriend like this.
  13. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know of any conclusive evidence that communication devices can interfere with modern electronics (car or plane)?

You should be able to test your hypothesis (not theory) - fill your back seat with notebook computers with their wireless radios on, chat on your cell phone, walkie-talkie, wireless home phone, listen to an old CD player ... you can probably also set up a blue-tooth connection from your cell to computer. I'll bet you can still stop your car, and you probably won't even hear your car radio buzzing.

14. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's an app for that.

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well...YES and NO....!

Having deat with complex electronics for the last 40 years, I have run across many instances of RF from Walkie Talkies, AM Radio, FM Radio, and even RADAR getting into places where it did not belong. The fix always involved gounds, shielding, and ferrite beads. That usually would take care of the problem.

That being said, as the OP stated, this is one of the most complex package of electronics on 4 wheels. You can bet your nice person, EMI, RFI, and even possibly EMP? (although I kinda doubt that one myself) were one of the first topics discussed at design meetings. I pretty much have dismantled as much as I could when I installed all of my added electronics, including a 50 watt 144 - 148 Mhz, 30 watt 430 - 450 Mhz and 10 watt 900 - 925Mhz NFM Transmitter in my personal vehicle. I have never had a problem with the car while I am "ON the Air" talking, and I can be pretty long winded sometimes.
    One thing that I was looking for during the install was Vehicle grounding and Electronics shielding. I did not want to turn on the radios and all I hear was a constant harmonic computer generated buzz. I was quite impressed with both the level of shielding and grounding used in this car. That along with my using proper RF installation techniques, I really hear nothing. If I dont hear it that pretty much proves to me that the shielding is effective enough so that outside RF is not getting in!
    I also noted that key ECU's etc. were mounted inside metal boxes, effectively shielding them, the wiring harnesses were wrapped with dense braided cable, such as you would find in RG-213, 9913 etc type COAX. and well gounded. Of course all it takes is 1 bad ground, or a gound point that has become rusted, loose, or broken to screw up the shielding.

The idea is valid, however, if really true, there should have been a hell of a lot more instances of major electical problems. Also, the problems should have been noted right away if a poor design was at fault.
    Feasable, Yes...Probable, Maybe...Have I noted it in my car, NO!!!

1 person likes this.
  16. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked because as far as I know even on airlines there is no evidence that consumer electronics can interfere with the plane. They just can't say it's impossible. I hadn't thought of the effects of a faulty ground though.

17. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmnnn... as long as we're tossing about crazy theories - how far from Miramar MCAS was this?

- D

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    NO! NO! NO! Oompa Loompas are GOOD little people, grateful for the opportunity to work in a chocolate factory. They'd NEVER do anything like that!

Miramar??? How far from Roswell was it?

19. Walk_the_walk

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Daniel: There's no need to be a sarcastic pinhead, just because I offered a theory you did not think of. If you disagree, that's your privilege, but there's no need to INSULT me or my theory.

As to your points, YES, I did try to contact Mr. Sikes, but was unable to track him down. I DID email the San Diego Union Tribune writer - his home town paper. I DID try to call the El Cajon Toyota dealership to ask them some questions, but they were not answering calls... As for my comments on Mr. Sikes, the only speculative one I made was that he was likely using a hands free device, because the CHP officer testified he had both hands on the wheel and he could smell the brakes and the brake lights were lit, as he approached, and Sikes was "standing on the brakes" (Sike's own words from MSNBC). I also taped several news broadcasts of the Sikes incident and watched them multiple times.

So, don't say what I did or did not do, or what research went into my theory, since you don't know. Nor, are you aware of my experience in this area. Also, I DID buy the Bentley Technical Manual for the 2004-2008 Priuses, and I have the diagram of the dozen of so ECUs behind the dash and will be happy to post it to prove my point. They are networked together in a LAN and even have a LAN controller for the behind-the-dash network.

As for your suggestion that I cannot pose a hypothetical theory about a cause - well that is poppycock! It's a theory, plain and simple. It needs to be tested. Would you prefer we just blame it on floormats instead? OBVIOUSLY, this problem has a random distribution and is somewhat rare. RFI or other electrical interference in SOME vehicles is a good theory. It sure as hell beats FlOORMATS!

Now, Daniel, IF YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA, then why not post it? I am sure the whole world would like to hear it. But, if you don't then just shut up, and stop badgering and insulting those of us who are at least making some suggestions and posting some ideas, trying to get a DISCUSSION going - not an ARGUMENT. There's a huge difference!

20. Walk_the_walk

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I liked your comments, but would like to add that when we first got our 2007 Prius - when we added an XM satellite radio unit to the car, connecting it to the AUX port, it made a lot of noise and buzzing, and I ended up installing a Ground Fault Isolator to fix the noise. This was before Toyota released their TSB to fix this issue on the Aux port (TSB2810).

So, there are likely still some users with that ground fault issue out there driving around, with who knows what attached. All I can say is we have had no problems... others have been killed, and not just Priuses, of course, but Lexuses and Camrys and so on. There's some common problem in these electronic drive-by-wire systems that is still an issue, albeit rare and random. Again, it' sure not the floormats.