1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My theory on why some Gen 2s consume more oil after 150k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jadziasman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been using the Torque app for android on my Gen 2 for about a month now. One thing I've noticed is that ICE rpm varies considerably when I'm driving at Interstate highway speeds - 70 mph (and sometimes faster) on my way to the office. At the time of day I drive, I must go at least 70 mph to keep the difference in speed between me and the maniacs who pass me to about 20 mph or less so these speed racers don't hit me when they swerve in and out past me, semis, and slow pokes.

The northwest exurbs of Metro Detroit have subtle changes in elevation that require the ICE in my Gen 2 to run at 35o0 rpm or greater when climbing these shallow hills (100 to 200 ft in a mile) at a steady 70 mph. If I have the cruise control on and don't adjust my speed ahead of time, the engine rpm reaches 5000 rpm (Torque app gauge error?) when I'm climbing one of these hills on my way to work. I have learned not to allow the cruise control to do this on this particular hill. I accelerate a little before climbing the hill which helps keep the ICE rpm below 4000 with the cruise control engaged. I use cruise control whenever I can and as soon as I can - even on the 25 mile commute to and from the office.

As ICE rpm and power increases, blowby increases It follows that blowby gas will cause piston, ring, and liner wear over the long run due to less than optimal lubricity during high rpm operation. And once this wear occurs, oil consumption increases.

It seems that the 1.5L engine struggles to propel the 3000 lb Gen 2 uphill even with assist from MG1 and MG2. Hence the reason engine rpm must increase significantly to maintain speed (remember, I don't want the speed delta between me and the maniacs to get too big). It's probably not as serious of an issue to maintain speed with the 1.8L in the Gen 3. I'd be interested in seeing how much difference in ICE rpm I'd see driving a Gen 3 on the same route.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting theory......but likely only that.

It is perfectly normal for an engine to start using a bit of oil after 80K miles or so.
    Usually the valve guide seals leak more than the rings and that is just plain old wear from use.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you explain the 2005 I have here that hasn't burn much oil since the last oil change at 153 miles? Dipstick still shows full. oil changed at 149k

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Every engine is different. Even those that appear identical.
    I did NOT say it was guaranteed........or even common for some models maybe.
    I did say that it is not unusual, taking thousands of engines across the board.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I wasn't going to quote you, I just thought you may know something we didn't. Cause I'm trying to get to the bottom of why this oil burning occurs. There should be factors that cause it to do so. Jadziasman has his theory and I have mine.

Just thought you had your theory or insight to share.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Put the Prius oil burning in perspective: A Prius @ 200k miles burns less oil than many a NEW GM or VW.

roflwaffle, PriusGuy32 and dbcassidy like this.
  7. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know. After owning two 1992 Honda Civics that didn't burn any oil after each reached 200K miles, using some oil - even if it's only a quart every 3000 miles - seems excessive. But if it doesn't get much worse before 299,999, well then that's fine and dandy.

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have and I did.
    It really isn't a "theory" though.
    It is:
    1) Manufacturing tolerances
    2) Simple wear. All moving engine parts wear during use, some more than others.
    3) The luck of the draw. With a given engine that generally stays tight with high mileage and does
    not typically show a large increase in oil usage.......there still will be a few that DO have increased usage.

In general, there is NOTHING you can do to "prevent" it from happening other than good maintenance practices.

Obsessing over things like this, over which you really have no control, is not good for your health.

9. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You talkin' to me, Easy?

Note that it's just a theory, that I have, which is mine.

And I'm not "obsessing" over it. Toyota (and other manufacturers) have engines with oil consumption problems. Even Honda, which generally makes the best engines, makes a dud engine now and again.

Oil consumption is a known issue with some high mileage Gen 2 Prius'. Many Gen 2 owners with oil burners are more curious than obsessed with it. I check the oil level in Yoda every three weeks and add oil as needed. That is definitely not obsessive.

AllenZ and PriusGuy32 like this.
  10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    double post

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Yeah I've noticed that too jadziman. The traction battery and electrics cover pretty well for the relative lack of power of a 1.5L ICE in a 3500 lb car, but when really pushed in hills it does become apparent.

Also, many people have reported partial (but significant) loss of traction battery capacity over their years of ownership. For example, people have reported the traction battery fully draining (not really fully, but you know what I mean) when ascending certain large hills, where previously it didn't do so. Similarly with acceleration on a cold engine (another situation where the electrics cover heavily for the ICE), very many people have reported their older Prius's regularly "draining to pink" under these conditions, whereas previously it didn't. There may also be many more people with aging Prius's that are suffering this gradual in loss in capacity but not noticing it, because it's not so apparent with the particular routes/speeds they drive.

So yeah, the situation where a Prius might spend quite a lot of time revving hard like you describe could increase as the car ages, and it certainly may account for somewhat increased engine wear compared to a cars with a more powerful engine. I think your theory is definitely a possibility. :)

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    High Speed = High RPM = More Wear = Oil use .

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This supposition implies that over the short interval that the car is now underpowered it incurs enough additional engine wear to leak. That would be equivalent to saying e.g., that a Yaris driven hard from the time it was new starts to leak oil when by the time it is 2 -3 years old.

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2 or 3 years old? Don't get it, they are talking about long term use, at least 100,000 miles. The Yaris is under powered as well and could also be showing signs of oil use with age if driven hard.

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know what you're saying, most cars get driven hard from time to time. Let me say straight up that I don't think the Prius has a universal oil consumption problem, and that many (maybe even most) people will probably get long service life without having huge oil consumption problems. I'm just saying that I think there is a correlation between the size of the engine (and how hard it has to work) and it's longevity. So in this sense Jadziman's theory could explain why some Prius engines seem to burn increased amounts of oil at medium mileages where some other cars don't seem to do so as much.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say: all else being equal, a smaller engine works harder and would have a shorter longevity.

Of course, everything else is far from equal. A good example is the Honda engines mentioned earlier. Lots of 1.5 and 1.6 Liter engines on the roads in the cities where they live a hard life, yet oil consumption is usually nil to not a worth a comment. So while we both agree that Prius ICE oil consumption is pretty minor in the larger picture, I'd look elsewhere for the reason.

Could a transition to higher revving more often unmask what until then had been a small, unoticed leak ? Sure. I presume that we have been reading the same anecdotes of engines starting to consume oil at a rate of about 0.5 - 1.0 Liter every 3 - 5000 km when the ICE hits 200 - 300k miles. Since there are just not that many cars with that many miles driven I am inclined to think the anecdotes will become a characteristic Prius finding. So far though I have not read of any engine analyses that pinpoint the cause. Have you ?

17. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most Honda engines have a higher RPM range then Toyota, so that would explain why Honda don't burn oil as much. But Toyota overall does not have an oil use issue. I believe its connected to hard driving. A friend of mine has a 2010 with 100,000 miles plus and is using oil. He knows he is the cause of the oil use, from hard driving up hills for miles at a time, every day.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you google the new Honda 4 cylinder CRV and other cars of similar engine, you will find they have horrible oil burning too. I really believe the switch from 5w-30 oil to fuel saving 0w-20 has a major impact on this issue.

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Synthetic oil also plays a part, much easier to leak through seals, and with age leaks are more likely.

20. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen any evidence of an oil leak on my 05. It just burns it and leaves the tailpipe. In fact, the undercarriage is surprisingly clean (but not right now because of the nasty winter we're having this year - worst in 25 years for snow AND cold). Cars that leak oil are incredibly filthy underneath. I had a 92 Camry with a minor oil leak that was wet underneath with oil from the engine to halfway to the rear of the car. Luckily for me the Camry was totaled and I received more than I paid for it after the insurance claim was settled. Nice to fix an oil leak that way.

I think that uart is on to something regarding that the increase in oil consumption some owners are seeing in part due to the age and condition of the traction battery in their cars. He might be right that the ICE might need to compensate for slightly less power coming from the MGs. It makes sense. While mine doesn't seem to have the characteristic symptoms of a weak battery, it might be on the way nevertheless. I have the torque app track the highest voltage battery block and lowest voltage block continuously. The only battery block that is displayed more often than the others as the lowest is BB7, but it isn't displayed for more than a couple of seconds until another BB number appears. This to me indicates the traction battery is still in relatively good shape. I haven't looked at SOC fluctuations yet. Monitoring the SOC going up the most challenging hill might show the charge dropping a few percent or more over a short distance - one would think it would. Maybe it drops by 10%. I haven't set it up yet to view easily but that's something I'll try in the next couple of days.

I wonder what the ICE engine rpm would be climbing the steepest hill on my daily commute with a brand new replacement traction battery. Not worth the $3000 to find out - at this juncture anyhow. Wouldn't be prudent.