1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My tint job - would this bother you?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, Jun 2, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had my windows tinted last month and noticed a couple of tiny air bubbles caused by a spec or two of dirt/dust. I went back today and showed the owner. He reassured me that the bubbles wouldn’t get any worse (my main concern), and that the job is within their standards, but if it bothers me, he is offering to redo it free of charge. It doesn’t bother me. But if it bothers other people, it bothers me.

He suggested I ask other people to look at my tint from 3 feet away and ask them if anything is wrong. Since this is online forum, I thought I’d show you guys a picture instead. What do you think? What would you do? Is this worth going back (again) for? Thanks.

P.S. Pardon the bad photography. I'm pointing to one of the air bubbles with my index. To give you an idea of what it actually looks like, have you ever put a plastic screen protector on your iPhone, etc, and gotten a piece of dust behind it, so the surrounding area kind of bubbles out? That's basically what I have here.

Attached Files:

2. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think its best to leave the air bubbles alone. I think its very tough to apply tint without some bubbles. Like a cell phone protector, as you said.

Marvin

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It seems that you will be bothered. ;)

If I were you I would definitely have it redone. Yes the bubbles bother me, no doubt.

4. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would drive me nuts. Get it redone. I have had multiple car tints done and have never accepted any bubbles. Likewise on cellphones if there is a bubble I redo it - there is just no way I could stand it.

5. nahtanoj

nahtanoj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i found 2 tiny bubbles in my tint. they are not in my view, nor very noticable so i left them be. if they grow over time i have the "as long as you own the vehicle" guarantee.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't tell from the photo, would only know if in your situation.

Good luck though.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd have to say that photo is laughably useless. I can't evaluate anything from what it shows.

You say it doesn't bother you? That's the bottom line.

It either does or doesn't bother you, and sorry from that photo I can't offer any opinion as to whether it would bother me.

8. preeyus06

preeyus06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you get it redone.. get 20% tint for the back it looks real nice

9. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We get windiw tint in all our cars. I pay the installer's price and expect to get a top-notch job. It would bother me to get less than I paid for . . . and never end a sentence with a preposition.

Last time I watched our guy as he cleaned the windows, then cleaned them again and squeegeed them with a razor blade. Even after that, one sheet he was installing had a tiny spec of dirt behind it so he removed that peice of film and started over on that window. That's the kind of service I don't mind paying for . . . I mean, "for which I don't mind paying."

10. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had my windows tinted with Llumar Air Blue (80% VLT). The guy was a real pro about it and also tints at a local Mercedes dealership. He constantly asked me if I was happy with each window as he worked his way through and took his time to work out any imperfections. I would say get it redone just for peace of mind.