1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Toyota dealer is selling refurbished traction batteries

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tj S, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Tj S

Tj S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi: I need a replacement traction battery and found that one dealer in my area is offering 2 battery options: 1) brand new or 2) New battery cells in an old battery case. Option one is $2700 and option two is $1850. Both carry a 1 year warranty. Parts counter said that everyone is opting for the refurbished battery. They have been offered from Toyota for a year with no returns to date.

I looked at the battery pack and see that the cells are made in Japan but its assembled in USA. The box is marked "property of Toyota". Seems legit but Im skeptical. Does anyone know the backstory with this? I am wondering if Toyota NA has teamed up with a supplier to rebuild battery packs. Seems unusual for an OEM to deal in refurb battery packs. Maybe the execs figured they are losing too many sales?

I checked another dealer and they did not offer the refurb option. Curious mind wants to know!

#1 Tj S, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems like a nice option to me. the cells are really all that matters. i wonder what the dealers who sell the new one near 2k would sell the rebuilt one for.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The price difference is getting bigger and bigger. I like the refurbished if it has new cells

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    New battery pack is supposed to be 3yr warranty starting this year ...

Bluegrassman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The batteries are made by Panasonic. GM uses the same batteries. That's why it says Japan. I think Telsa/Toyota are partnered together for it latest models for its batteries.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Tj, Ask the dealer if the part number for the refurbished pack is G9510-47031-84.

7. Tj S

Tj S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Jadizias: Yes G9510-47031-84 is the PN listed on my invoice for the refurb battery pack. Im curious why you are asking?

I asked several times with different employees and they all parrot the 1 year warranty. I wonder if there is someone at Toyota NA to confirm the 3 year warranty on this part. Obviously this is very important. There are no warranty terms on my invoice.

8. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least one other person has bought one this year. Many of us want to know if there are brand new modules inside the recycled case but no one has come forward to confirm that there are new ones in that pack.

I would buy the -84 pack if I could get one. Unfortunately they only seem to be available on the west coast so far.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This seems a very good idea: I'd much rather buy a refurb through a dealership, considering Toyota's standing behind it, and it's local: no shipping and core charges.

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  10. Tj S

Tj S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'll take a close look and take pics of what I can. I won't void the warranty but I'll try to see if those cells are new. the dealer claims that for warranty work, they must use the new part due to liability of used parts . For non warranty work, they steer customers toward these. They claim these cells are 100% new. I have no reason to believe the dealer is lying, but it would be nice to know who is doing the refurb and what cells they are using. The box is certainly high quality. takes up half the f150 bed!

Attached Files:

#10 Tj S, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That looks very kosher! :)

So are you doing the install, not the dealership?

12. Tj S

Tj S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes. the dealer wants $1K for install and it looks like a 2 hr job at maximum.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whoa. I was thinking around $300, think I've heard that number tossed around. They are milking it.

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  14. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the photo, Tj. Please take a photo after you get the pack out of the shipping container. It should be a drop in unit; meaning it should bolt in without much work for you to do except to install the two high voltage cables and the orange service plug.

Here's a couple of helpful tips.

The service plug installation once the pack is installed is as follows: push the plug into the socket, lift the handle up, and then the press the handle straight down to lock it.

To start the Prius, you will need to press the power button twice while your foot depresses the brake pedal.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would offer my help on the weekend, just to get to the bottom of this new or used module thing

DadofHedgehog and fotomoto like this.
  16. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wonder if Corporate decided if they offer a lower cost refurb, they can use them for warranty replacements . . .

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got a 3 year warranty on our new HV battery from the dealership about a year ago dealer installed. It would have been a one year warranty if I installed. No remanned option in my area from a dealer at that time. This is an interesting development from the mother-ship.

bisco likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you share details about the cost?

19. Tj S

Tj S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I didnt realize that this thread would generate so much interest. Because of this, I am planning on taking photos of the unboxed pack tonight and post them to the forum. I will wait until Saturday to do the install in case there are any more inquiries before the pack goes into the car. I appreciate JCs offer to help - I just may take you up on it! While Im in there Im going to weld a new 12V battery tray to fit the larger "smart key" battery on my non-smart key car. I put it in there a few weeks ago, knowing that I may have trouble fitting it, but wanted the extra capacity regardless. It fit, but the battery bracket had to be bent for it to work. Im too cheap to buy the proper bracket from Toyota - they got enough of my money this year!

bisco, dolj, jadziasman and 1 other person like this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my own experience, any time Toyota commits to selling a refurb (-84 suffix) version of a part, they will make sure the quality's absolutely up to their standards.

-Chap

dolj and Mendel Leisk like this.