1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my turn for a diagnostic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hyo silver, Sep 30, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, crap. 48,000 km and not a single problem. Two months after the warranty runs out, I've got a problem. (It's gotta be programmed into the ECU, right?) We found out the roadside assistance has also expired, so we now have BCAA instead. My wife drove the car about 700km over the weekend with no trouble, and phoned me half way to the grocery store this morning, saying there was something wrong with the car. She described it as 'like driving on a gravel road' and 'there's a light on the dash - sort of a lumpy thing'. I had her get out and check the tires, which seemed fine, but then she said there was an odd smell, too. So, I borrowed the neighbour's car and rode off to the rescue. Turns out it's the check engine light, not a good sign, and the engine is shaking noisily. It went away when I stepped on the gas, and of course when the engine shut off. Not wanting to risk it, we had it towed to the nearest dealer, and left the keys in a drop box with a note to call us tomorrow. So, it's already in good hands, I trust, but I'm curious to know what the possibilities are. Any ideas?

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely an ignition fault like a coil shorting to earth or a spark plug breaking down.
    It may also be a vacuum leak caused by a hose coming off or splitting.
    Does it have steam coming out of the exhaust? That would be a symptom of a failed head gasket but I doubt that would be the case.
    It's a pretty conventional engine really in this day and age the VVTI, direct ignition and fuel injection are very common so it wont be a hybrid problem.
    Good luck with it.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These cars don't still use vacuum hoses, do they? I didn't see any escaped fluids or clouds of steam from the exhaust.

Further discussion reveals hearing a loud 'klunk' yesterday on the way home. Had I known that earlier, I would have taken a much closer look underneath. Life just gets better. :mellow:

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sounds like an ignition issue- plug, coil, or even bad fuel. if you complain loudly enough they hopefully might take care of it, if it's only 2 months out of warranty. a few klunks are also a symptom of a misfire- especially notable when the engine is shutting down.

let us know what happens, hyo.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 30 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]519602[/snapback]</div>
    That was my first guess as well. I've had plenty of cars that burned thought plug wires and the car acted similarly.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't given you much to go on, but that's all I know at this point. I really hope it's something minor, and I'm trying not to think of worst-case scenarios. The tow truck driver said he'd never towed a Prius before, so that's good. I'll let you know what transpires when I've heard from the dealer.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the latest, just in. Two coils, two spark plugs. Three hundred bucks parts and labour. Two months out of warranty? Too bad. :angry:

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 1 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]519848[/snapback]</div>
    That sucks...that's certainly not a problem I've heard reported here before. Sucks they wouldn't cover it so close to warranty.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'd ask for the old coils back and see if they were BSing you... plugs are cheap but coils not so.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I already checked the 'please return parts' box on the drop-off form, and turned down their offer to change the oil. (I just did it in June with Mobil 1) I told the service writer I wasn't happy, not that it was his fault, and that I would be writing a letter to Toyota Canada. All the same, I'm kinda kicking myself for not taking the car in for a final checkup just before the warranty expired. Live and learn. But thanks for the help - pretty amazing I can get an accurate diagnosis on the internet within 20 minutes, on a Sunday afternoon in football season, no less.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car's home, $135 in emergency roadside assistance and $340 in repairs later. I have two rusty plugs and two coils, one with rust at the base and another covered in crud. The story was a misfire in cylinders 1 and 2 because of water ingress. Warranty or not, Toyota, this should not happen. A car that isn't allowed out in the rain isn't much good around here.