1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My very dirty cabin air filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by viking31, Sep 12, 2007.

1. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have read the previous posts from others about dirty cabin air filters. I never gave it much thought thinking I don't regularly drive in dusty areas. But after or during rain storms I would get a musty smell in the cabin and figured I'd get a filter and change it on a whim.

All I can say is WOW!. In addition to lots of dirt and dust (the picture actually makes it look cleaner than it really is) some sort or animal (bird, rodent) seemed to be building a nest on top of the filter. To the right of the picture you will see sample little bits of foam insulation that I can't figure out where it came from. There is lots more of it, all BB size, embedded in the filter. Also a clump of fiberglass insulation that doesn't seem indigenous to the Prius. No smell or visual of mouse droppings or urine at all.

It's seems to be the same gray foam type of insulation used throughout the HVAC system but close inspection of the fresh/recirc "flapper" valve both front and back with a mirror reveals no damage. Nor does the foam seal area forward of the filter that is visible too.

I have read of other posts of others having extensive damage from rodents making their way into the car and severely damaging wire harnesses. And now it seems something has tried to make its home on top of my cabin air filter. You would think by now car engineers would be able to design a automobile to be relatively protected from intrusion from rodents and other wayward animals seeking to make their homes inside the depths of your automobile, especially the HVAC system!

[attachmentid=11384]

Rick
    #4 2006

Attached Files:

2. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have read the previous posts from others about dirty cabin air filters. I never gave it much thought thinking I don't regularly drive in dusty areas. But after or during rain storms I would get a musty smell in the cabin and figured I'd get a filter and change it on a whim.

All I can say is WOW!. In addition to lots of dirt and dust (the picture actually makes it look cleaner than it really is) some sort or animal (bird, rodent) seemed to be building a nest on top of the filter. To the right of the picture you will see sample little bits of foam insulation that I can't figure out where it came from. There is lots more of it, all BB size, embedded in the filter. Also a clump of fiberglass insulation that doesn't seem indigenous to the Prius. No smell or visual of mouse droppings or urine at all.

It's seems to be the same gray foam type of insulation used throughout the HVAC system but close inspection of the fresh/recirc "flapper" valve both front and back with a mirror reveals no damage. Nor does the foam seal area forward of the filter that is visible too.

I have read of other posts of others having extensive damage from rodents making their way into the car and severely damaging wire harnesses. And now it seems something has tried to make its home on top of my cabin air filter. You would think by now car engineers would be able to design a automobile to be relatively protected from intrusion from rodents and other wayward animals seeking to make their homes inside the depths of your automobile, especially the HVAC system!

[attachmentid=11384]

Rick
    #4 2006

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow that's a lotta leaves. I usually find one or two leaf(ves) and loose sand. Oh and yeah, it's the same grey colour.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow that's a lotta leaves. I usually find one or two leaf(ves) and loose sand. Oh and yeah, it's the same grey colour.

5. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow, makes me want to go check mine. How ofter are these supposed to be checked?

6. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow, makes me want to go check mine. How ofter are these supposed to be checked?

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is that a drawing of a balloon?

Just kidding.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is that a drawing of a balloon?

Just kidding.

9. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i had the same thing my 03 rav4...toyota dealer unscrupulously told me it was a rodents nest and the blower motor and all ducts were contaminated. cost $400 to R/R system..i bought filter and with a shop vac cleaned it myself R/R $28
    btw i dont want to mention the dealers name here in Palm Beach ;) , but i've heard of other stories like this from this same dealer on Military Trail

10. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i had the same thing my 03 rav4...toyota dealer unscrupulously told me it was a rodents nest and the blower motor and all ducts were contaminated. cost $400 to R/R system..i bought filter and with a shop vac cleaned it myself R/R $28
    btw i dont want to mention the dealers name here in Palm Beach ;) , but i've heard of other stories like this from this same dealer on Military Trail

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In case any Canadian is reading, CT doesn't carry 04+ Prius air filters any more. But they do still have Classic Prius ones which fit.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In case any Canadian is reading, CT doesn't carry 04+ Prius air filters any more. But they do still have Classic Prius ones which fit.