1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My wheelskins steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tredstone, Mar 30, 2009.

1. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just finished installing the wheelskins leather steering wheel cover for my new Spectra Blue Prius... I love it! I think a lot of people go for color on the top and bottom and gray or black on the sides, but I did the opposite as I felt it would look more like an attractive factory design instead of looking too sporty (lol PriusS).

Installation was definitely quite hard... in the end the only advice I can say is the instructions are correct - "TIGHT IS RIGHT!"

Attached Files:

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only thing I don't like about the wheel skins leather steering wheel cover is the seam is under my hand when my hands are in the 10 to 2 position. In a way I would have preferred to install it up side down. I'm not changing mine now though. I also wonder if the cover would be easier to fit if the cover was a little damp to give it more stretchability?

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Pat - then don't get the fancy expensive one! The only ones I use have one seam, and it goes at 6 o'clock where my hands never go. After you install about 10 of these, they really aren't that hard. The learning curve is steep. But then most people only put one on ever several years, so it is new each time.

[​IMG]

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Naw, it looks fine. I just hate when the leather bunches up. But, if you work your fingers to the bone it all smooths out!!!

At least it did on mine. I went with the sides in color, and Black top and bottom like you did!!!

Nice Job!!

5. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha hi-five KK6PD =D

Have you ever had to clean it since installing it?

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I just use a damp rag, with a little light soapy water. Cleans up nice!

I do find however, and maybe it's the hot SoCal summers, that they tend to disintigrate after about 5 years. Also if I leave the window down during a really foggy night, the leather seems to soak up that humidity, further causing the disintigration process to speed up!

Net result, a new skin about every 4 -5 years or so!!

7. pviebey

pviebey New Member

I put one in my wifes Prius a couple of weeks ago. WoW! That's way too much like real work for me to want to do it again...

8. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I already have the 2 tone and I like it. When it needs replacing I'll fit the 2 tone cover up side down. Or maybe I won't replace it, it should be the wife's problem by then.
    Mine is 9 months old and is sparkling clean. I just wipe it with a cloth when I clean the dash. (not often enough.) I expect it to last over 10 years like my last leather cover did on my Crown. I did put a leather treatment on it when new though.

9. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

10. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YIKES.... How much would a factory leather steering wheel cost?

11. Speedsta

Speedsta Mr. Bulb

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    doesnt look very good to me

12. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They don't photograph well. They look better in person. Some I've done I've had people think they're factory leather. They are sensitive to how well they are installed, and there is a learning curve.

13. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually overdid it on some of the spokes which led to some unnecessary wrinkling. I redid it about a month ago and it looks better now - although it'd probably be even better if I could start with a fresh piece of leather (and having overcome the learning curve).

I agree though that it does look better in person and the change in the feel is really a BIG difference. It's a really tangible difference you can always feel everytime you're driving.

14. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree on both points. On any car I buy that does not have factory leather I install one of these, even if I have to order one custom (but you have to be very careful measuring). Mine has a slight gap at the seam, probably because I installed it in the cold and couldn't get enough stretch where the leather is doubled. The fraction of an inch of gap under about 2 stitches left of the seam drive me crazy, although there is absolutely no problem with functionality and you can't see it unless you are driving it. I'll eventually rip it out and replace it with a new one, likely a 2-tone (I've never tried a 2-tone).

15. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know what it would take to do the cover with baseball stitching (instead of the standard stitch)? Would I need two pieces of cord? Do I need a different type of needle?

16. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In another forum I saw a pic of someone's who did this. It looks incredible. He requested an additional string and needle from the manufacturer and they sent him one free (not saying they will do this for everyone, but I thought it was a nice gesture). All you do is the same stitch using both threads and cross them, stitching with both at the same time. I imagine it would be a bit of a tangle, and I wouldn't recommend it for someone's first install. Hmmmm, maybe I will try this next time!

17. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea the baseball stitching definitely does look more 'factory'... certainly something to consider if I ever have to replace mine (I think someone earlier in this thread say the leather lasts about 5 years).

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I once had a leather steering wheel cover that had invisible stitching, that was nice. I'm not sure if the wheelskin cover would lend itself to this. That was done with 2 threads and the threads were threaded along each segment between the holes not through the holes like the wheel skins are. I much prefered that design but the company seems to have folded.

19. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They look great for 6 mo to a year, look OK for a few more years then kinda give out (my experience).

20. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How exactly do they wear out? I don't mind if it loses its coloring, as long as I don't feel like I'm holding a mangled fraying steering wheel...