1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My wife, Maria Andretti

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by NorwoodIV, Aug 16, 2006.

1. NorwoodIV

NorwoodIV New Member

As the topic thread indicates, I have a problem. I left my ride after work with a respectable 48.6 MPG average (say 150 miles on that tank).

Maria Andretti gets in, grabs the pole (position that is :D ) and leaves me at 42.6. This is the third or fourth time my quest for 50 (in LA/OC driving) has been thwarted by her need for speed.

How does one politely coach the spousal unit without taking away the obvious fun gained by tearing up the streets in the horsepower-rich Prius? Or, do I just letter her drive, wait for the 5000 mile break in bonus and then discuss switching from IRL to NASCAR?

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pale Alien @ Aug 16 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]304096[/snapback]</div>
    You buy her her own Prius then have competitions for the best gas mileage. Loser buys dinner out.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Aug 16 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]304106[/snapback]</div>
    That's funny. My b/f ruins my avg. too and I chide him about it. Well, he one-upped me and bought an Insight. (Hasn't picked it up yet.) He can't wait to have competitions with me on mileage now! :D

4. NorwoodIV

NorwoodIV New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Aug 16 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]304113[/snapback]</div>

You characters are killing me! Buy another hybrid! I had no idea that this Prius business was such a sickness. :lol: Maybe I could get her a scooter, which would be more on par with the budget. She drives our MDX like a bat out of hell too.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let's see if I can come up with other spousal questions:
    "How do I convince my wife that it's better for me to watch sports than to do the dishes?"
    "How do I convince my husband that the bathroom floor is not the correct place for wet towels?"
    "When is the best time to talk to my wife about her weight?
    "Should I suggest to my husband that perhaps he really should look into Enzyte?"

If your wife does not share in your desire to get high mileage, you are barking up a dead tree. Pick your battles wisely and walk away from the ones you can't win. Or to quote a very wise computer, "The only winning solution is to not play."

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 16 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]304167[/snapback]</div>
    ...I think you mean ex-wife.

7. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pale Alien @ Aug 16 2006, 10:35 AM) [snapback]304096[/snapback]</div>
    How many miles did it take her to get it down 6 mpg? At 150 miles of her driving, that means she's getting around 36 mpg. Ouch!

8. NorwoodIV

NorwoodIV New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Aug 16 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]304186[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't check closely, but I'd say on the order of 20 miles. She picked up something across town faster than I could scarely believe. Her comments have all been very favorable though. "It's very peppy." "You can really scoot in that thing if you want to."

Maybe like Tony says, I should let it slide. Ripping around the neighborhood will 1) burn up the chessy OEM tires fatser, and 2) give us serious "street cred." :D

9. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Maybe I'm different, but it doesn't seem like my milage is very different if I baby my Prius or drive it like I stole it. I get within a couple of mpg's the same either way. The only way I kill my milage is by making a few very short trips. That'll put the average in the dumper faster than anything.

10. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Aug 16 2006, 12:45 PM) [snapback]304251[/snapback]</div>
    I totally get different MPG readings when i had the key's to my dad. He's doesn't care about mpg and it takes a hit of atleast 5 MPG. Oh, i've found the biggest 'upper' of the mpg (if you can afford to do this) is actually when slowing down on the freeway to 'step on the brakes' ever so slightly and kind of make a 'gradual stop'. The premise is that you'll have the batteries recharging at higher amounts for a longer time. Comparative to if you just slammed on the breaks to slow down. :D

11. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

NO ONE else will drive my Prius!!

My hubby is blind...since six years ago...at which time I took over driving his 91 Camry (20 mpg).

So...fortunately, no battles on my home front...and I'm sure if he were still driving, it would be a spousal unit challenge!

I ruin my own average with the number of short drives I do...even when I bunch my errands....finding myself with the urge to drive further away, just to see that mpg go above 45....how crazy is that????

terri

12. Snarf

Snarf New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very true. You are best just letting it go. I have confronted her a couple times on her 'atrocious' mileage. Big mistake! I now suspect my wife is purposely getting worse mileage out of spite.

However, I do think I have figured out why her mileage is so horrible. She was the designated driver the other night as I was more than a little tipsy. Apparently she thinks that the gas and brake pedals are like a binary switch (all gas or no gas, all brake or no brake). Well, she has half of the pulse and glide method down. We just need to work on the gliding.

I'm not sure which made me more sick, the constant jerking motion or looking at the consumption screen.

13. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Snarf @ Aug 16 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]304370[/snapback]</div>
    Ummm, third choice, the alcohol? :lol:

14. singingtiger

singingtiger New Member

Similar to MarinJohn: To persuade her to obtain her own Prius, keep asking her which exterior color does she prefer. And then keep asking until she definitely wants another in that color.
    :D

15. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pale Alien @ Aug 16 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]304194[/snapback]</div>
    Whoa! Say you have a total of 175 miles. Roughly, that means you drove 85% of them and she drove 15%. You know the FE for your portion and you know the cumulative FE.

0.85*48.6 + 0.15*her FE = 42.6 -> her FE = 8.6!

Is this right? It's just a simple weighted average. If so, I didn't think that kind of FE was possible in a Prius. Are you sure she didn't reset the FE for her trip and come out with 42.6 for her short drive?

16. NorwoodIV

NorwoodIV New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Aug 17 2006, 08:10 AM) [snapback]304597[/snapback]</div>
    The mileage is +/-... but I'll bet she was in the teens, with the rolly hills we have around here. She also claims she only ran the mileage down to "45 or so." I've got CSI and Ben Matlock on it now.

When I grilled her, she had some very short trips, and is known to really punch it off the line. She also hammers along with the AC at full blast, the wench.

In any event, it seems I have to either a) shut up, B) buy her a new Prius, or c) file for divorce. I like her a whole lot, so I guess I'll shut my cake hole. :D

17. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 16 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]304357[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. You're a Prius owner! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pale Alien @ Aug 17 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]304664[/snapback]</div>
    You have chosen ... wisely. :)

My wife finds the MFD very distracting, so when she's in the car (passenger or driver) I turn it off. A few weeks ago, we took a trip to DC (4 hours one way). I drove down, she drove back. I drove at the speed limit and tried to get the most out of it I could without being too obvious. On the way home, she just drove her usual style (~5 over the speed limit, punching the gas to pass people, etc). She actually improved the MPG by ~2MPG!!!

18. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pale Alien @ Aug 17 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]304664[/snapback]</div>
    Regardless of what your other cars is, her FE must be in the single digits.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL

I let a buddy borrow my prius while I used his truck and the bastard managed to drop my MPG from 46mpg to 37mpg (winter driving). Thats after sitting in the car for 10min trying to get it to work before calling me hahahaha

20. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pale Alien @ Aug 17 2006, 08:27 AM) [snapback]304664[/snapback]</div>
    My driving is very similar to that. I'm usually fairly quick from start, we've got much worse hills/mountains here, and at higher speeds I will keep the A/C on Auto, which especially after work goes at or near full blast. My wife is worse. However, our mileage lately has been right around 60, last tank 60.2, I'm estimating this one will be around 59. The key difference is the trip distance. Short trips will kill your mileage. When we lived in Carson City, my wife worked in Reno and would take the Prius for her 30 mile commute. Her mileage then was around 48-50. When she was off and I had the Prius for my 1.5 mile commute, I could easily drop it down to 42, no matter how efficiently I drove.