1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Winter Vacation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by squiretom, Dec 5, 2008.

1. squiretom

squiretom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi everyone.....

I live in Port Townsend, WA, on the Olympic Penninsula. My wife and I want to take a Winter vacation in the general areas of Utah and Idaho. Since I just purchased my '08 Prius in June, the logistics of driving in ice and snow has never been an issue.

Upon checking with the Parts Dept., of my local dealer, I was advised that Toyota recommends that no traction device be used on a Prius. Since we'll be driving areas that traction devices will be required, this news was unacceptable.

I cannot believe that my fellow Prius owners living in the Northern climates, park their car in the Winter. In checking with previous threads, I cannot find anything that would address my favorite: Traction cables. Some replies warn of potential threats to the transmission, while my local dealer warns of issues dealing with ABS and Tire Sensors. I can use some advise.

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think your local dealer is wierd! Living in CA I do not have much experience aside from last Winter in Reno. I experienced no problem, but the snow was minimal. On this same page is a thread ( or the previous) detailing problems encountered with snow and how to drive. It looks pretty good. Edit: The thread is on the main forum, titled: "Unbelievable poor performance on snow"

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is a page from the 2007 Owners Manual on using Tire Chains. It is page 411 in the 07 manual; it is probably the same in the 08 manual or a page or two different.

I'd say your parts guy is overconfident and underinformed. Kind of a bad combination when you need information.

Attached Files: