1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Yosemite trip in my Prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by MikeSF, Aug 27, 2007.

1. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So my girlfriend and I decided to take a trip from our home in San Francisco to the lovely Yosemite Valley, camp a night and come back. And by decided I mean she wanted to show her visiting cousin Yosemite and I had to drive.

Ok, so my car was overloaded according to the manual, 4 people in the car + all the camping gear and such, it was a little cramped for those in the backseat, her brother and cousin, she was a little cramped with a backpack in front of her legs, I was quite comfortable, but driver's privilege states if the car is crowded you get top priority of leg room! I'm in the 170-175 pound range, my girlfriend is a few sacks of potatoes lighter than me and I'll leave it at that so she doesn't kill me, cousin is 180 range, brother is 330 pound range, needless to say the three additional passenger put the passenger load to a bit over 800 pounds. Camping gear aside, my back suspension was a bit squished for the trip.

The trip to Yosemite was quite uneventful, going up all those hilly areas at the speed limit, occasionally exceeding mind you! I got a paltry 42mpg (and I use this as a exhibit A against all those reviewers who say the prius actually got 38mpg in... blah blah Learn to drive!), the way back however I knew it was payback time! In fact, I had the A/C going too since it was mid 90s out and I felt it was a nice treat... that and I was uncomfortable (again driver's privilege, if I'm ok, you're not ruining my gas mileage with the AC!) it did get bad though as I maxed my battery really quickly (another reason for OK'ing the AC) so I lost a lot of recharging because there was no more room to recharge. But having gotten home, my total round trip mileage was 47.8mpg . So I'm quite pleased, I expect my next trip there, just me and the g/f to be a bit better since over 500 pounds of people won't be in the back seat.

2. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeSF @ Aug 27 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]502774[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations MikeSF!

We had similar numbers going to Klamath/Orick, 48.3 MPG, fully loaded as you. In fact looking back most if not all of our vacations were 48-50 plus MPG, but the preponderance of our trips are less than 5 miles plugging along either side of Golden Gate Park, between USF & UCSF.

Just curious what is your in town mileage? Do you live in SF proper?

3. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I live in the Portola area of SF, couldn't tell you my actual gas mileage with much accuracy, but a commute too and from work at CCSF probably nets in the neighborhood of 40-42mpg.

4. berylrb

berylrb Member

we're starting to get a sporadic showing in priuschat.com from SF people, maybe someday we should do a rally like those Testarossa Ferrari guys, LOL.

I'm thinking of doing Yosemite next year for a week but in a motorhome, it was fun taking all the gear up north but man my son was really cramped in the back seat with the ice chest and stuff.